+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Whos' panicking? in General; I've resigned myself to not getting all the work done My struggling with the new Mac suite for music caused ...

Thank Post

Re: Whos' panicking?

I've resigned myself to not getting all the work done

My struggling with the new Mac suite for music caused me to lose quite a bit of time and I still haven't sussed out the OD lockdown. As soon as this is sussed, the machines can be installed, moving the existing PCs to the room next door, and the image that I have built can be loaded onto them. Realistically this should only take a couple of days tops (there's only me remember). They will have to put up with PCs until then

A couple of other minor jobs have been put on hold too but they aren't critical and by the end of September all should be well. If anyone complains I'll politely inform them that they can come in over the holidays in the future to help

Anyway, better get back to tidying. Need to allow time to replace at least one of the two remaining cabs tomorrow (bloody HP and their huge switches). INSET on Friday - a man handling course for me with a cooked breakfast provided for brunch

Thank Post

I have built 2 new domain controlers a WSUS/Symantec AV/Printman + server and a Filebox. Unboxed and installed 60 New mahcines in 2 IT suites and my own office. 28/29/3 respectively. Stripped and refurbed 28 machines in another room using the ram from the machines to be dumped from the previously mentioned rooms. These have been added to the new network and they're old DC retired. Stripped and refurbed 44 machines in 2 media rooms and added them to the new network thus turning 3 Isolated NT4 doamins into 1. Packaged and deployed Office, Delphi, VIsual studio, Photoshop and Macromedia studio to these machines. Numerous other other apps like interactive CDROMS, ASM tutor, Logo etc running from the network server. All by myself and I managed to get a weeks holiday in there too.

And yet I'm still panicing because the timetabler still hasn't provided me with pupil and staff lists to make accounts on this network... pupils arrive friday

Thank Post

Not so much panicking as getting p*ssed off!

For the 3rd year in a row our ISP (E2BN/Seimens/Uncle Tom Cobbly...) have managed to lose our broadband connection in the last week of the hols (it went down last Friday!). Even more of a pain this year as we host Moodle on-site & loads of teachers want to upload stuff for the beginning of term.

"We'll phone back when we've investigated." Yeah, right - still waiting, despite reminders.

Hi ho!!

RoyG

Thank Post

I've had a rather crappy day, spent the whole thing getting an image ready - one image for the whole site.

It was going really well until I hit the sis chipset machine, imaged it ok with the master sysprep'd one, I was installing drivers and testing them before adding them to the custom drivers in the sysprep folder.

Everytime I tried to add the sis onboard vga it rebooted, no BSOD - just a reboot. After trying for over two hours I got it to work in vga mode - NOT safemode, that rebooted too!

So I (eventually - after missing out a script on one image) now have an image that should work on 3 different machine types, installs the correct drivers, asks for a computer name, joins the domain and removes the reg keys for all those nasty tray icons that come back when drivers are reinstalled. One image to rule them all :P

The steps are now:

1) Boot machine from network (PXE)
    2) Ghost loads (Modified the default RIS file)
    3) Connect to session
    4) Image
    5) Reboot
    6) Drivers are installed with sysprep
    7) Type machine name, press enter
    8) Machine joins domain and reboots
    9) If the computer was in the right place in AD, its ready to use, if not, move it and reboot.

Should be able to do a room in 20 mins, then apps will be deployed from wininstall (got that going this year too!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well, today everything was going fine until about 11:00pm when the power came back on after a power cut.

We rushed back over to the server room to make sure all the servers start up in the right order. Upon doing that, I notice that the Exchange server isn't talking to the network. After much farting around, we decide it has a faulty NIC (Netgear GA302T, avoid at all costs) and replace it with a 64bit D-link jobbie we had sitting in an old server. Of course, Windows doesn't have a driver for this 64 bit Dlink jobbie and what with this thing refusing to authenticate without a connection to the network we find a 3C905 to stick in there. That 3C905 turns out to be faulty as well so we replace it. On the third time of trying, we finally manage to log the Exchange server on and get the Dlink driver installed. Everything is back as it should be.

Then I go to my experimental Zimbra machine which, should it prove satisfactory, we will use as the student email server until we can afford Exchange licences for the whole school (probably april). I start it up, it boots into X but Zimbra doesn't work. When you try to start the service it says "Unspecified Error (1)" and terminates. The Zimbra log file is helpfully empty and the Zimbra forums have no information. There was one possible lead but it applied to an older version of the Linux kernel than I have and no longer applied. Eventually I found out that doing a "zmcontrol stop" and then "zmcontrol startup" from a command line sorted that out.

I received an email from the ex-ICT Co-ordinator. We have a new Data Manager starting tomorrow. He wants a new PC for him, a new user set up and a network connection into his office. All this on 24 hours notice. Considering we've been busy this entire summer holiday period flood wiring the entire bloody school I'm rather upset he didn't mention this at the beginning of the holidays. I've got a user set up for the new guy but thats all he's getting for the time being.

After all this, I've just found out that our Sharepoint installation seems to have gone tits up and our website publishing rules in ISA appear to be broken, I can't get onto Webmail or Sharepoint from the outside.

Aside from all of this, everything is going well. We've wired all but one of the blocks (The science block will have to wait til half term) and installed a wireless link to the sports hall today. Everything seems to be going to plan more or less and I'm quite pleased.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12