+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, GMX Mail in General; If anyone else is interested there is a new, free webmail service on offer from GMX. You get 5gb of ...
    Thank Post

Post GMX Mail

If anyone else is interested there is a new, free webmail service on offer from GMX.
    You get 5gb of storage and can import mail from other accounts such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Etc.
    I'm just having a browse of their Ts&Cs - because I'm sad like - that before signing up.

2. Thanks to Great_Scott from:

PEO (20th July 2009)

richard_s
    I've been using GMX for a couple of months now and have found it to be very good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tbh I would just get a gmail account, at least there are that many people on it if they were doing anything sus then its more likely to be a big deal and get found out.
    Also you get more space with gmail.
    I do know one person on GMX though and he thought it was good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    tbh I would just get a gmail account, at least there are that many people on it if they were doing anything sus then its more likely to be a big deal and get found out.
    I've had my gmail account hacked twice with everything wiped and google refused to do anything about it - only told me to make sure I make backups and to make my passwords compelx ( which they were and still are ie letters ( capital and non capital letters , numbers, symbols, spaces etc and longer then 10 characters

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I've had my gmail account hacked twice with everything wiped and google refused to do anything about it - only told me to make sure I make backups and to make my passwords compelx ( which they were and still are ie letters ( capital and non capital letters , numbers, symbols, spaces etc and longer then 10 characters
    That smells of malware/keylogger on your pc or less likely, someone sniffing your cookie on public wifi/lan/home wifi.

Thank Post
    That smells of malware/keylogger on your pc or less likely, someone sniffing your cookie on public wifi/lan/home wifi.
    Using WPA-PSK2 at home for wifi and been using my mac pro 10.5.6 at the time which I updated to 10.5.7 when it came out.

Are there any measures or anything I can do to prevent this in future ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its possible you had a keylogger for mac (yeh they exist esp since apple dont patch holes anywhere near fast enough - see java) but it could easily be when you logged in anywhere that is public. Its so easy to capture cookie packets and then fake auth you have no idea. I would make sure the gmail setting for force https is turned on as that at least prevents that hole.
    Really logging on anywhere its not a machine in your control could lead to the keylogger hole too. There were a few crossdomain exploits but they were closed v quickly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    I've been using GMX for a couple of months now and have found it to be very good.
    Yep same here

Thank Post
    Got a Gmail account already, but just thought an alternative might be nice.
    As for the other issue with hacked Gmail accounts, wasn't there something in the news a while back about them being attacked? Maybe that was Hotmail....? Anyway, I think they have their bases covered in the Ts&Cs as far as data loss is concerned. There will be some get out clause that says the service is provided "as is" with no guarantee of non failure I'm sure.

And it does smell of malware too.....

Thank Post
    Its possible you had a keylogger for mac (yeh they exist esp since apple dont patch holes anywhere near fast enough - see java) but it could easily be when you logged in anywhere that is public. Its so easy to capture cookie packets and then fake auth you have no idea. I would make sure the gmail setting for force https is turned on as that at least prevents that hole.
    Really logging on anywhere its not a machine in your control could lead to the keylogger hole too. There were a few crossdomain exploits but they were closed v quickly.
    The only place I use gmail is either on my iphone or on my apple mac at home ( on my iphone I have SSL enabled ) not sure if there is a https force option - if there is where is it ?

Also on os x I have enabled stealth mode other then that dont access my email at work - If I am on edugeek then I am directly on the site and just refresh the threads I am interested in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you look in Settings at the bottom of the page you should see the option.

Thank Post
    Can you explain how to get to that setting as Im not ffinding the force https option ( I already have SSL option on ) FYI I'm using O.S 3.0

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Log into gmail then click Settings at the top right corner of the page. Scroll to the bottom and you should see this option. HTTPS uses SSL certs so not sure exactly what you mean by SSL turned on?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMX Mail-https.png  

Thank Post
    Log into gmail then click Settings at the top right corner of the page. Scroll to the bottom and you should see this option. HTTPS uses SSL certs so not sure exactly what you mean by SSL turned on?
    Going into the settings link in gmail on a web browser on a computer I have always had that enabled and when I mean SSL is on I was reffering to the setting on my iphone so on the home screen I press settings --> mail --> etc

Under there somewhere is a slider to turn SSL on or off and I have got that on ( that was what I was reffering to with regards to SSL being on )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread