+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New Govt Vetting for School Visitors in General; Following on from this: BBC NEWS | UK | School safety 'insult' to Pullman And: Would you leave your child ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

New Govt Vetting for School Visitors

Following on from this:

BBC NEWS | UK | School safety 'insult' to Pullman

And:

Would you leave your child alone with a cabinet minister? ? The Register

Does anyone else here think that alienating children from adults on an increasing basis is asking for trouble?
    Once I finish work and do EG full time I shall have to apply for this govt tax, sorry, vetting. Its bad enough that many schools now look like Fort Knox, but this is getting silly. A guy whose job it is to change the bottles on water coolers in staff rooms has been told he needs one of these!!
    Total pants.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    To be honest I don't see what the problem is. Companies which provide services to schools must be checked (like me) and the costs involved can be offset against tax, so it costs companies nothing in reality.

I also think there is more of an importance when it comes to contractors. Although perfectly innocent (like in the example of changing a water bottle) who knows how that person conducts themselves around children? I agree with the Government because if it's the same for everyone then no one can argue. If you start making exceptions, these 'loopholes' could allow someone inappropriate to be around children.

Some of the authors of children's books who were against the idea just made me laugh to be honest. Completely out of touch and forgetting the threat is real. I cannot see how else the Government can get around this problem.

Thank Post
    Have to agree with Michael here DB. Sorry!
    The more restrictive measures are put in to place, the safer school enviroments will be for all concerned. I don't see any problem at all - other than the additional work those workers will need to do prior to accessing etc.

Thank Post
    This just seemsto be another look at us we're doing something, that is actually nothing, policy by the government.

The reason being given for this new check is the Ian Huntley case. Which, the inquest concluded, happended because the existing rules weren't applied.

I can appreciate people wanting to safeguard children, but they are under less risk today, from preadatary adults, than they ever have been, especially with public hysteria where it is.

In addition the type of checks this entails, also will mean people can be failed for having unproved allegations against them. Start of a McCarthy style witch hunt???

Thank Post
    What about parents visiting school or attending parents evening should they go through a crb check?

Its about where we draw the line.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps we should have some vetting on pop stars who go into schools to try and drum up business? Oh ... they are all ok? No need to do them? I'll let Mr Glitter know then.

Security checks are part of the business. If I was a civilian on contract with MoD I expect security checks to be done and that the costs would be part of the fee charged, so it is not that much different to pay a small cost up front and then not have to worry about it.

Authors are no different to anyone else, if I have to be CRB checked to work in a school, as a scout leader, as a governor ... then so should others.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pullman's ego is getting in the way here. Talk about toys out of the pram.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    My comments are in this edugeek thread: Authors Working in Schools

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, for many of us lot, would that mean having this as well as a CRB? Doesn't fuss as my company would obviously front it, just seem's a bit vague and crossing over in it's purpose.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread