+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Authors Working in Schools in General; BBC NEWS | UK | School safety 'insult' to Pullman Sorry, but am I the only one that is shocked ...
    Thank Post

Authors Working in Schools

BBC NEWS | UK | School safety 'insult' to Pullman

Sorry, but am I the only one that is shocked they haven't been required to wayyyy before this? "I'm an author so I can't be a paedophile"... Umm...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,601 Posts
    Realistically, how often is a visiting author/sportsman/insert-occupation-of your-choice left on their own with the kids?

In my school, never. Those who do school visits regularly (not just to us) do get themselves CRB checked, but we all know that the check isn't transferrable.

An unsupervised paedophile is a problem... if there's always a member of staff with a visitor, it's pretty unlikely to be a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What makes authors so special they don't require a check?

Either you have a scheme that applies to everyone or you don't have one at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    What makes authors so special they don't require a check?

Either you have a scheme that applies to everyone or you don't have one at all.
    Does your school only let people in who have had a CRB check?

I doubt it.

Schools have loads of visitors, be it delivery people, trades-people, occupational therapist, people talking to the kids on some on topic or whatever.

Some, but by no means all are CRB checked.

All schools take the same approach, visitors are accompanied and if there's any doubt whatsoever, they are never left alone with a child or group of children.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,628 Posts
    As long as they are NEVER alone with the children I think they do not need to be checked. Realistically, how valid are the checks anyway? How long do they last?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Personally I don't see what the big deal is; they should get off their high horse and stop pretending they are better than everyone else.

Unfortunately the media have made a habit of painting any and every scheme the government has to collect information on people as intrusive, malicious, and that hideously overused media-favourite phrase 'Big Brother'. As such, it gets a negative reaction from anyone with an ego. Then the same papers that moan about how 'intrusive' the government is go ballistic over any failing in our outrageously overworked and demoralised social services departments that have been decimated by additional workload and cuts in funding. But I digress...

In my area the local council recently voted on a proposal to have local councillors CRB checked. One party backed it, the other two rejected it on the grounds that the 30-odd extra checks per year would it would be "too expensive" (despite the fact the council processes thousands of them for many of their other staff) and on "civil liberties" grounds (despite the fact that it doesn't require you to supply any new information, it just involves a check of what the authorities ALREADY KNOW). Once again: off the high horse, and stop pretending you're better than anyone else who works for the council.

/rant

Thank Post
    On one hand it does seem to be yet another bit of officiousness - as others have said, the authors would be accompanied at all times - but on the other, surely Pullman can afford 64? I would have thought that as they're in schools to flog their wares (albeit possibly indirectly) it would be worth getting themselves rubber stamped (they could probably claim it as a business expense).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,628 Posts
    Why would councillors need to be CRB checked? Seems intrusive to me.

What worries me is the blanket idea that if you are CRB checked then you *must* be OK. The CRB check only shows up things you have been caught doing!

It is no substitute for vigilance - although some agencies seem to think that it is

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Why would councillors need to be CRB checked? Seems intrusive to me.
    Because they will sometimes be working with vulnerable adults who are having problems with council services, ether during surgeries or home visits. Plus, I would rather someone representing me was not hiding a criminal record!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ...What worries me is the blanket idea that if you are CRB checked then you *must* be OK. The CRB check only shows up things you have been caught doing!...
    Exactly.

-Ken

stu
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Realistically, how often is a visiting author/sportsman/insert-occupation-of your-choice left on their own with the kids?

In my school, never. Those who do school visits regularly (not just to us) do get themselves CRB checked, but we all know that the check isn't transferrable.

An unsupervised paedophile is a problem... if there's always a member of staff with a visitor, it's pretty unlikely to be a problem.
    just because a person isn't left alone on the ground with a student doesn't mean that they wont talk to students and gather enough information to approach them out of school hours. Though i do agree with witch that a CRB check doesn't prove anything about future actions.
    Last edited by stu; 16th July 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    The problem is this isn't just a CRB check, it's a database which will be available online for instant access by a multitude of organisations and also for any organisation to be able to lodge a complaint on the system which will be assessed by some nameless person who will decide whether or not they will be banned, no proper investigation or anything.

You cannot use some officious database to alleviate problems caused by a lack of use of common sense.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    just because a person isn't left alone on the ground with a student doesn't mean that they wont talk to students and gather enough information to approach them out of school hours. Though i do agree with witch that a CRB check doesn't prove anything about future actions.
    If we start going down this road, that people shouldn't be allowed to talk to students as there's a potential risk of gathering information we may as well lock the little darlings away at home, after CRB checking the parents of course.

Can't let them go out after all, there's scary strangers out there.

Thank Post
    I was rather annoyed when I read that too.
    Who do they think they are??

I find it disgusting that they are kicking up a stink about something helping to protect the children.
    It might not be the greatest of systems having read a few more posts but it's something, everyone is responsible for their own actions and unfortunately it won't stop some people. I say that with my teeth gritted because it makes me sick.

Thank Post
    bit over the top in my opinion.
    the government want us to live in fear, this is just an extra bit to add.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast