+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
General Chat Thread, What should I do? in General; Just had a phone call from my old school to say that my replacement has decided that he isn't going ...
  1. #1
    richard
    Guest

    What should I do?

    Just had a phone call from my old school to say that my replacement has decided that he isn't going to start there now and that SIMS has failed completely so can I help them out as no one there can fix it.

    What shall I do? On one hand I'm thinking its their tough luck on the other I suppose I could make some money of them by agreeing to help them out. They have already said when I left that they were sorry to see me go and several staff had voiced their concerns at me leaving to SMT.

    I had a feeling that the new guy would not start as when he came in to do the hand over before I left he was saying that his current school may well offer him more money to stay put. I didn't say anything as I was a bit pissed with them because they advertised the job at £5k more than I was on after been repeatedly told that there was no more money available for me.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: What should I do?

    In my opinion its best to stay on good terms with your old employers, regardless of what your "true opinion" of them is, haha. They could help you out in the future if you are still friendly with them, if you ever found yourself in a bad situation.

  3. #3

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    10,486
    Thank Post
    613
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    634

    Re: What should I do?

    advertised the job at £5k more than I was on after been repeatedly told that there was no more money available for me.
    I know that one very well. My advice is to charge them £100 per day. If they act shocked tell them to get a quote for a consultant. They'll pay.

  4. #4

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,950
    Thank Post
    1,345
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    597

    Re: What should I do?

    Also check what your present employers think too ... they may not be happy about you going to work for another school, even during your holidays.

  5. #5
    richard
    Guest

    Re: What should I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Also check what your present employers think too ... they may not be happy about you going to work for another school, even during your holidays.
    My new employers are fine about it as they know that I'm looking to do some consultancy work as well. They are actually helping me look for clients.

  6. #6
    budgester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Enfield, Middlesex
    Posts
    486
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: What should I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    advertised the job at £5k more than I was on after been repeatedly told that there was no more money available for me.
    I know that one very well. My advice is to charge them £100 per day. If they act shocked tell them to get a quote for a consultant. They'll pay.
    I would say a minimum of £200 a day. If you can find out how much they pay a day for a Cover teacher.

    At £100 a day your only gonna cover your costs, if your doing consulting you have to be aware of the fact that you have to sort out your own tax, NI, professional insurance, invoicing, unpaid holidays etc.

    Personally I would go more for a rate per hour say £35 with a miminmum 2 hours, if you make yourself to cheap you will be earning less than if you were working there full time and they had all the paper work aggravation.

    If you go in at a high price you can always offer discounts. If you go in to low it becomes difficult to raise your rates at a later date.

    And for some weird reason people will feel that you are more likely to do a better job if you are expensive.

    Yup, that 18 months of running my own outfit was the most profitable I ever was, but just couldn't get my head into the marketing/sales/accounting stuff, and I got stuffed by my accountant and a agency I did some work for. Me bitter nah.

    Regards

    Budgester

  7. #7
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: What should I do?

    Personally I would tell them to go shove it.

    Especially in light of the 5k thing. Be damned if I will let someone treat me like that and then allow them to get me to come running when they realise they need me

  8. #8
    tosca925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,547
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: What should I do?

    Richard,

    go do the job for them but when you are thinking of what to charge, remember at the back of yur mind that 5k they offered someone else to do your job. I think this should inflate the price quite a bit.

    I also see that you are from Kent so i reckon £150 a day at minimum and they do seem a bit deperate...........! so who knows.?

    Just out of interest did they offer you the extra 5K to stop?

  9. #9
    richard
    Guest

    Re: What should I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    Just out of interest did they offer you the extra 5K to stop?
    No they didn't as I was told that their no more money available to pay me. The funny thing is the head has just spoken to me and that she wants to discuss me coming back to the school for 2 days a week at a higher salary to manage the systems

    They seem to have now realised how much I did for them while I was there and are now panicing because their is no one capable of doing the work. To be honest if they want me back I woould rather go back in as contractor due the problems I had in the past with the school in particular the bursar. Also it would mean that I would have an easier way out if problems arose.

  10. #10

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,385
    Thank Post
    1,402
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Rep Power
    711

    Re: What should I do?

    I definitely wouldnt go back on a salary - but if they are prepared to offer you the 2 days on a contract basis... They probably couldnt pay true contract rates but you could get more than you used to and you would be able to get out when you wanted to.
    As for the Sims work - I agree that you should charge quite a lot - our contract support lot charge £40 per hour, so that should be a minimum

  11. #11
    richard
    Guest

    Re: What should I do?

    Like I said I don't want to go back on salary for them. Also I am in the middle of sorting out other things to do with my self employed stuff such as Public Liability insurance, tax and Ni payments etc and don't want to see all the work going to waste.

  12. #12


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,650
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 780 Times in 607 Posts
    Rep Power
    224

    Re: What should I do?

    £50 / hr or part thereof, extra (at least £75) for weekends and unsocial hours, even more (£100) if they've buggered something up after you told them not to. The clock starts running from the moment you step out your front door.

    Freelance contractors recommended by Capita charge approx £1,000 a day.

    Enjoy making them squirm.

  13. #13
    richard
    Guest

    Re: What should I do?

    I was thinking of charging them £150-£200 a day billed weekly. But I might give it a re-think.

  14. #14
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: What should I do?

    I still say tell them to shove it

  15. #15
    tosca925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,547
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: What should I do?

    I must admit, now you tell me they did not offer you the extra money it is tempting o tell them to shove it......................!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •