+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Virgin Media 50Mb cheaper and 10Mb upload trials! in General; Originally Posted by dgsmith I don't know why this is a now a dig at VM. I agree with *some* ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    I don't know why this is a now a dig at VM. I agree with *some* of the negative points here, but on the whole, we have rarely had any problems with our service (bb+phone), and only once i've ever needed to contact their customer support, and that was before I felt proficient enough to handle the problems myself. The last unacceptable downtime was during the upgrade from 4mb to 10mb, but I knew that was going on and put up with it. They also bent over backwards to give us a good royalty discount for being long standing customers, so I can't personally say "I'd rather stick red hot needles under my fingernails" than continue to give them business.

I was merely trying to advertise the fact that a company, whom as we all know hasn't got great press as of late (and evident just by these few comments), is actually taking steps in the right direction and 2 of my main gripes - price (albeit on their highest tier only, but still better than a kick in the face), and upload speed increase trials which I know alot of customers desperately want and which I agree at the moment is ridiculous and embarassing.

As a customer, I felt this was positive news and thought it was worth mentioning! I would rather the topic be closed than continuation of off-topicness which isn't relavant to the point I was making..
    You mentioned news about Virgin Media and their great speeds and offer right? I mentioned that they are a crappy company in my opinion and their speeds are all a con as you never get the full speed all the time anyway.

Others comment on the merits of VM or not in some cases. I just see a typical thread here, although if something bad said about a company you brought up in a thread on a forum upsets you so i suppose you could report your own thread to a moderator

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    I don't know why this is a now a dig at VM. I agree with *some* of the negative points here, but on the whole, we have rarely had any problems with our service (bb+phone), and only once i've ever needed to contact their customer support, and that was before I felt proficient enough to handle the problems myself. The last unacceptable downtime was during the upgrade from 4mb to 10mb, but I knew that was going on and put up with it. They also bent over backwards to give us a good royalty discount for being long standing customers, so I can't personally say "I'd rather stick red hot needles under my fingernails" than continue to give them business.

I was merely trying to advertise the fact that a company, whom as we all know hasn't got great press as of late (and evident just by these few comments), is actually taking steps in the right direction and 2 of my main gripes - price (albeit on their highest tier only, but still better than a kick in the face), and upload speed increase trials which I know alot of customers desperately want and which I agree at the moment is ridiculous and embarassing.

As a customer, I felt this was positive news and thought it was worth mentioning! I would rather the topic be closed than continuation of off-topicness which isn't relavant to the point I was making..
    I was just annoyed at the fact that I have phoned them on a number of occasions as the first time I was told to call back a lot later on ie a few months and see if there were any plans to get cable laid in this area where there are lots of houses ( so its not like I'm the only person who would go with them ) and Just keep getting told that they only offer ADSL services ( which I already have ) and the leaflets are just aggravating me because they are advertising something I can't get.

Originally when looking at virgin media we were gonna go on there XXL Package to get phone, tv and broadband all in one so its not like I wanted to go with VM just for a 2mb connection ( a slow connection )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    You mentioned news about Virgin Media
    I did, and something I thought was worth mentioning given they do seem to get alot of negative feedback, and as I already mentioned, rightly so in some cases.

..and their great speeds and offer right?
    Did I? I mention one of their packages will go down in price (didn't go boasting about how fantastic it is, but that I may consider upgrading now that it will soon be a bit cheaper, and a bargain imo with no traffic shaping - "yet"). Their upload "may" be getting better, but that isn't yet, and I made clear that I think their current upload bandwidth is disgraceful.

I mentioned that they are a crappy company in my opinion and their speeds are all a con as you never get the full speed all the time anyway.
    You sure did, and rightly so - they advertise a speed but if you use it fully even for a short period, you get chopped right down - so yes, I totally agree with you.

..although if something bad said about a company you brought up in a thread on a forum upsets you so i suppose you could report your own thread to a moderator
    Upsets me? I'm merely saying that you (but not just you) just seem to have taken an opportunity to dig again at their faults, which I guess everyone knows about and to some degree agrees with. As I already mentioned, I totally agree on alot of the points you are making (not customer service, as I have never really used them so it is unfair to comment); so as I agree on most of your points, I don't see how I could get "upset" by them.

I just thought it was something a little positive, and i'm sure that others on VM (who may, like yourself, never have a good word to say) might at least appreciate it. If you don't think so, then fine

Thank Post
    I dislike VM for loads of reasons that i won't bore everyone with. Many do and many don't. Glad you posted the news as it is always good to know whats going on. When major companies get mentioned in a public forum you will aways get people who have had bad experiences time and again give their input. That's life i guess.

No offence intended as my comments were meant in a light hearted way as i thought it a little strange you were saying you would prefer the thread closed rather than have people come on and complain about VM. That is inevitable i guess. A forum thread is like a wildfire, you can start it but you never know where it will spread

5. Thanks to dalsoth from:

dgsmith (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Hmmm Now to persuade them to lay cable in my street. Have to say I seem to be the opposite from everyone here. Had VM 20Mb cable at uni, and only had one problem with it due to my bank breaking my direct debit. Phoned VM, got a very apologetic assistant who got rid of the black mark on my account, and said it should be back up within 24hours, but she'd try and do it quicker - literally 40 seconds after i hung up my housemate walked in and said the net was back up.

I agree I don't like their traffic shaping, we just imposed our own traffic limits and shaping so we didn't go over them - thus ensuring the full 20mb all the time. As for high useage - we pulled down 1.8Tb in 5 months without them batting an eyelid.

RwD

Thank Post
    Im on the 50MB is its amazing! loving the no traffic management!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12