+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How to get involved in more projects! in General; Hi All, I want to get involved in more projects and server work. Let me first explain my situation I ...

Thank Post

How to get involved in more projects!

Hi All,

I want to get involved in more projects and server work.

Let me first explain my situation I am 1 of 2 ICT Techs, above us we have a curriculum network manager and above him our systems manager. I have recently become an MCSA (working towards MCSE). Neither of my managers have a strong IT knowledge/ background. An example of this is that, i regularly get asked how to setup different things on the server, how to deploy packages, setup group policies etc. I don't have a problem with this, but i want some recognition.

I also want to get involved in more projects and development. My boss knows i'm capable and has said it many times, but when ever some thing that is over he's head (setting up new server etc) he hires an external contractor. Every job i have ever been asked to do i have done, and i have never messed anything up!

I personally think the reason is because, he doesn't want it to look like i know more than him. Which i can understand.

I have 2 questions

Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome this? or has any one every encountered a similar situation?

Thank Post
    On a positive note, maybe look to setup a virtual server ot test server so that you demonstrate what you are capable off. Document how much money could be saved by doing the work in house. We use a fair amount of open source software and freeware to good effect that saves the school a LOT of money and adds value to what we provide.

On a more reallisitic note, if you have got your MCSA then look for a job that recognises this qualification and move on. It is very hard to get promoted/recognised in your existing job. (this is not just in schools but a lot of IT jobs). I know it may be difficult at the momement as there are not loads of jobs around, but I think this would be your best bet.

Thank Post
    Yeah I'd agree with keep looking around while you are working as the job market isn't exactly brimming with jobs at the moment!

I would think I'm in the same boat as you, its hard to push ideas forward when people aren't confident you can "pull them off" (despite having a working model ready) or feel it isn't well enough supported. (Moodle in this case, instead I have spent HOURS of my time creating, room by room, a website in fronter, which, for the record, is so slow I could have gone to norway and sat in their server room and flown back in quicker time.)

Thank Post
    thanks for the comments guys! I have been looking around, but there isn't much around at the moment! I wouild love to work for the IT dept at the council here! I have met a couple of the guys down there and they seem a good bunch!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by big_nath View Post
    Hi All,

I want to get involved in more projects and server work.

Let me first explain my situation I am 1 of 2 ICT Techs, above us we have a curriculum network manager and above him our systems manager. I have recently become an MCSA (working towards MCSE). Neither of my managers have a strong IT knowledge/ background. An example of this is that, i regularly get asked how to setup different things on the server, how to deploy packages, setup group policies etc. I don't have a problem with this, but i want some recognition.

I also want to get involved in more projects and development. My boss knows i'm capable and has said it many times, but when ever some thing that is over he's head (setting up new server etc) he hires an external contractor. Every job i have ever been asked to do i have done, and i have never messed anything up!

I personally think the reason is because, he doesn't want it to look like i know more than him. Which i can understand.

I have 2 questions

Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome this? or has any one every encountered a similar situation?
    one possible thing you could do, is put forward the idea of him being project manager for these projects. So he can do the gathering of requirements, work with you to break down the tasks involved and timescale. That way he can say he's allocated tasks for you to do to complete the project.

I'm sure he's got tons of other really important stuff to do that precludes him from taking a technical lead on these projects. So to speak. He'd be the project manager, your the technical lead.
    How does that sound ?

Thank Post
    Have you considered asking for the project, he may know your capable but feel you don't have enough time on your hands.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread