+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Argument for a New Laptop in General; I would be getting the department laptop as of sept, but we also have some brand new laptops coming soon.....and ...
    Thank Post

Argument for a New Laptop

I would be getting the department laptop as of sept, but we also have some brand new laptops coming soon.....and i want one lol

my boss has said i need a better argument than "why should we not have the best" which is a line i learnt from him

any ideas????

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    I would be getting the department laptop as of sept, but we also have some brand new laptops coming soon.....and i want one lol

my boss has said i need a better argument than "why should we not have the best" which is a line i learnt from him

any ideas????
    Think about what you need it for! Do you need to run Multiple memory intensive programs?

Thank Post
    To run VM's, To enable you to do your job without the hinderance of a slow machine, To run multiple tasks all at the same time... etc, etc, etc.

But just list what you need do and tick what you can't do with your machine at the moment. Also list what you would like to do also try and get a dual screen setup if you can
    Last edited by mossj; 14th July 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    To run VM's, To enable you to do your job without the hinderance of a slow machine, To run multiple tasks all at the same time... etc, etc, etc.
    Exactly you need to "Utilise resource intensive virtualisation software to test multiple senarios in a non production environment."

EDIT: I can't say much, I have the worst laptop known to man. I'm actualy eyeing up a circa 2003 RM that's just been returned by a retiring member of staff. I'm currently running a Celeron 1300 (yep that's a fast but cutdown P3).
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 14th July 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's my current list of reasons for buying me a new lappy out of the budget, maybe you can use one of them? ...

• Not enough RAM to run 4-5 concurrent VM's
    • Will not run 64bit Windows 7
    • Battery is dead
    • DVD-RW is useless
    • Not enough HDD space for iso's, vm's, work, os, music, photos, programs, etc, etc
    • PSU is too expensive to replace if it goes again
    • I've saved enough money else where in the budget that we can afford (edit: avoid (wrong word)) this with change
    Last edited by tmcd35; 14th July 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Because slower laptops are counterproductive. Usually a good line to use

Thank Post
    Surely if you have no argument yourself already other than "Because I want one" then you don't actually need one? Same view we'd all take of someone else coming up and demanding a new one from us just because...

Thank Post
    Remind your boss that your personal productivity affects the service you provide to your end users; you might be able to argue that a more powerful system would enable you to carry out more tasks/multitask more quickly. Are you also expected to support the latest software packages & hardware in school? Maybe do the odd bit of video editing, rendering, burn DVDs & other resource intensive stuff?

At my school, I also make sure SMT & the Finance Manager also have decent, up-to-date kit; it makes it easier arguing the same for my team.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

any ideas????
    Because it could be spent better / more effectively.....

rad
    Thank Post
    I didn't have to ask, my NM handed mine to me for "testing" Vista. I wiped it and stuck on 7!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Point out that having the faster/more up to date kit means you won't have to update as quick and thous it would be more cost effective in the long run?.

Thank Post
    I'd have to agree with Outtolunch - if you need help constructing an argument, then you probably don't actually need one (if you did, then you'd know why you did!)

If the main reason you want one is it will be newer / higher spec than your desktop then just ask for a new desktop instead (cheaper and more productive etc?!)

Thank Post
    i have my own laptop although there are several problems with it but it is still better than the work one i will be getting. i use my laptop all the time for work and play. additionally i am currently wanting to learn about virtualisation and afew other techs as i will hopefully be getting my bosses job as well as his laptop.

"having a laptop will give me a testing area for learning new technologies without risking possible damage and resource uses on my main home pc and my main desktop at work."

this is what i have come up with over the day

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I'd have to agree with Outtolunch - if you need help constructing an argument, then you probably don't actually need one (if you did, then you'd know why you did!)

If the main reason you want one is it will be newer / higher spec than your desktop then just ask for a new desktop instead (cheaper and more productive etc?!)
    Thats true but with a laptop you can at least take it to diff switch cabinets and re configure switches and other things - not sure anyones gonna drag a desktop computer around with them

Thank Post
    my boss has said i need a better argument than "why should we not have the best"
    Disaster Recovery!

Tell him it's for holding encrypted offsite backups and will be used as an emergency server at some other location if the building burns down...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast