+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
General Chat Thread, Swine Flu - antibacterial cleaning of keyboards/mice in General; Anybody getting keyboards/mice cleaned over the summer to prevent spread of Swine Flu? Anybody got any recommendations for antibacterial spray?...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    126
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Swine Flu - antibacterial cleaning of keyboards/mice

    Anybody getting keyboards/mice cleaned over the summer to prevent spread of Swine Flu? Anybody got any recommendations for antibacterial spray?

  2. #2

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,442
    Thank Post
    701
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    678
    I believe there has already been a thread on this. And the futility thereof. Especially as the question 'Who is going to do it and what protection are they going to have?' was the what we all surmised. Besides, cleaning and sterilisation is pointless as the very next person who touches the KB\mouse will undoubtedly leave their germs\bacteria on the device. A silly idea though of by silly people.

  3. #3

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,573
    Thank Post
    1,652
    Thanked 506 Times in 309 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    Swine Flu bacteria only survive for 24hrs outside the body, pointless cleaning just make sure ppl wash or antibac their hands before and after use.

  4. #4

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,603
    Thank Post
    327
    Thanked 421 Times in 294 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    No idea if they are any good, but I've seen U/V "wands" recommended on another forum.

    BTW, are they recommending cleaning? I thought the virus could only live for a few hours outside of a living host?

  5. #5

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,271
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    785
    I actually had a thought regarding this but it is impractical at this point. The UV disinfactors are the only method quick enough to cope with the volume but would still require a fair chunk of time and people to do it.

    Whole room based UV disinfecting is the only plausable answer to class by class disinfection - as in ceiling based units but given the dangerous nature of the devices there would need to be safeguards to make sure that no one was in the room during the 1 minute decontamination cycle.

  6. #6
    dalsoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    547
    Thank Post
    190
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I actually had a thought regarding this but it is impractical at this point. The UV disinfactors are the only method quick enough to cope with the volume but would still require a fair chunk of time and people to do it.

    Whole room based UV disinfecting is the only plausable answer to class by class disinfection - as in ceiling based units but given the dangerous nature of the devices there would need to be safeguards to make sure that no one was in the room during the 1 minute decontamination cycle.
    Can we install these in my classrooms set to go off during lessons?

  7. #7
    TwoZeroAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colchester, Essex
    Posts
    478
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    [pedant]

    Can we please get this right, Swine flu is a variant (H1N1 I believe) of the flu virus, it is not a bacteria.

    Cleaning with anti-bacterials may not have a guaranteed effect. Cleaning with alcohol/dettol is more likely to be effective.

    If you take anti-biotics whilst you have flu you're likely to end up worse off, as the antibiotics kill off all the competition and "good" bacteria in your system.
    [/pedant]

    Sorry, the biologist in me got out for a bit there.

  8. 2 Thanks to TwoZeroAlpha:

    kearton (13th July 2009), stevenlong1985 (13th July 2009)

  9. #8

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,573
    Thank Post
    1,652
    Thanked 506 Times in 309 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    [pedant]

    Can we please get this right, Swine flu is a variant (H1N1 I believe) of the flu virus, it is not a bacteria.

    Cleaning with anti-bacterials may not have a guaranteed effect. Cleaning with alcohol/dettol is more likely to be effective.

    If you take anti-biotics whilst you have flu you're likely to end up worse off, as the antibiotics kill off all the competition and "good" bacteria in your system.
    [/pedant]

    Sorry, the biologist in me got out for a bit there.
    Thanks TZA I learnt alot from that, I also looked here What is the Difference Between a Virus and Bacteria?

  10. #9
    stevenlong1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    529
    Thank Post
    774
    Thanked 107 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    79

    Smile

    Cleaning wont help! we're fighting a losing battle! I gotta a better Idea we all wear rubber gloves when using a computer?!

  11. #10
    TwoZeroAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colchester, Essex
    Posts
    478
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Thanks TZA I learnt alot from that, I also looked here What is the Difference Between a Virus and Bacteria?
    Good link, cheers, filed for future pedant-ry

  12. #11

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,271
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Can we install these in my classrooms set to go off during lessons?
    It'd just give them really bad sunburn and make them winey and red. Its non-lethal to humans. Ionising radiation sterilisers on the other hand are a tad more dangerous.

  13. #12
    danrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wath Upon Dearne
    Posts
    1,514
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 181 Times in 150 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    My girlfriends friend has Swine Flu, thank god we haven't seen her for a while! Hope she gets better soon

  14. #13

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,850
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 598 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Cleaning with anti-bacterials may not have a guaranteed effect. Cleaning with alcohol/dettol is more likely to be effective..
    Or heat. So to be sure, I'm going to be using a flame thower here...

  15. #14
    danrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wath Upon Dearne
    Posts
    1,514
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 181 Times in 150 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Well its happended, we have all had the letter saying that a person from our school has been diagnosed with Swine Flu, right battern down the hatches lock yourself in the server room!!!

  16. #15

    rush_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,427
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 269 Times in 202 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Well its happended, we have all had the letter saying that a person from our school has been diagnosed with Swine Flu, right battern down the hatches lock yourself in the server room!!!
    Same here



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Swine Flu Thread
    By JJonas in forum General Chat
    Replies: 243
    Last Post: 6th November 2009, 02:49 PM
  2. [News] Swine Flu
    By RabbieBurns in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th May 2009, 10:06 AM
  3. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 5th May 2009, 04:50 PM
  4. Mice and Keyboards getting stolen
    By DanW in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30th November 2008, 05:02 PM
  5. Cleaning keyboards, mice and screens
    By localzuk in forum Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th June 2007, 11:04 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •