+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New Job in General; A few of you may know i left my job of 4 years at a secondary school to work in ...
    Thank Post

New Job

A few of you may know i left my job of 4 years at a secondary school to work in a university. I just though i would let everyone know the job is going really well, i have been here almost a month now, still getting used to how things are ran, but i really enjoy working here so much more than in the school.
    It is really nice to work in a team of people who understand the work and pressures you are under, and to have people in charge of you who know what you do and understand your work load. It is quite refreshing compared to a school.

Things are done differently here but in the time i have been here i feel that i can contribute my ideas and i actually get listened to. Have already got myself a few projects which hopefully i can use my knowledge and experience to make things run a bit easier.

I do here from the school and students alot, and all i ever here is how things are falling apart, due to no one knowing where things are and how things were done while i was there. It was a shame while i was there that no one actually got me to document what i did and where it all was kept.

Moving jobs was the best idea i had, i was a bit worried moving as i had been there a long time and if i was making the right choice.

Thank Post
    Glad to here it's all going well. I moved from a school where there was no organisation to one that operates very proffesionaly, made a massive differernce.

Thank Post
    I did the opposite 6 years ago , went from working in an University IT Department to a High School. They are very different worlds, not sure i would want to go back.

I find the main different is in a school you have to be jack of all trades, at uni their is normally somebody for each section such as printers, networking, labs, backups, website.

At least you get more support and respect working in a Uni IT Dept. Hope you enjoy the different world.

4. Thanks to Quackers from:

ButterflyMoon (10th July 2009)

Thank Post
    In the Uni I work at it there are both ways of working - a central Computing Services department who look after infrastructure and communal facilities and then teams within each school who look after stuff specific to their department and local infrastructure and facilities.

The central team is bigger and people have more specific responsibilities - one team looks after the network, one team does the servers, one team does purchasing, one team does helpdesk. Here in the schools we are much more jack of all trades - in effect the three of us here are a microcosm of the whole of Computing Services.

6. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

powdarrmonkey (10th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Glad to hear it is going well

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,742 Posts
    Good news tomscaper. It's great when something works out as you'd hoped!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    In the Uni I work at it there are both ways of working - a central Computing Services department who look after infrastructure and communal facilities and then teams within each school who look after stuff specific to their department and local infrastructure and facilities.

The central team is bigger and people have more specific responsibilities - one team looks after the network, one team does the servers, one team does purchasing, one team does helpdesk. Here in the schools we are much more jack of all trades - in effect the three of us here are a microcosm of the whole of Computing Services.
    Similar system here central IT deal with the infrastructure and kind of delegate permissions down to the schools who then deal with there own school issues, its almost like they are a total seperate entity sometimes. My job is pretty much supporting anything that could come and thats fine with me, but the difference between this and where i used to work is the support i have behind me, and am treat as a person rather than looked down upon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    @tomscaper:

Glad things turned around for you Tom and hope that this will mean a lot more positive thoughts from you.

Always a pleasure to hear from you, I think this could be the making of you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Good Stuff Tom glad to hear its all a good success for you so far I am sure you will go far

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, yeah i am feeling much more positive, again just being around people similar and understanding.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper View Post
    It was a shame while i was there that no one actually got me to document what i did and where it all was kept
    Yes, yes... that is a terrible shame is that

Glad to hear it's all going good

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post

During my Uni days we had the same setup. In my final year though they had sort of "merged" all the central IT and schools IT into one mahoosive department. Things were never quite the same after that unfortunately...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread