+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Teacher puts kid in hospital. in General; Apprently the guy snapped after being taunted etc. Also said go f off and have a stroke again. Something along ...

Thank Post
    Apprently the guy snapped after being taunted etc. Also said go f off and have a stroke again. Something along those lines I here - just a rumour tho.

So the science teacher hit him with a metal weight.

There is a facebook group up with members of his school, so probs more info to be found there.
    Last edited by Jiser; 10th July 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    There is no excuse for violence against anyone, but...

Having suffered from post-natal depression with my first born many years ago, I have read stories of depressed mothers doing unspeakable things to their children and understood. I know the feeling when you could throw a screaming baby out of a window. The difference was I didn't actually do it - if my depression had been worse or untreated, who knows?

With this teacher, apparently he has been off work with 'stress related illness'. I imagine that those suffering from other forms of depression could feel like these post natal mums... and the taunt was what tipped the balance.

Not an excuse, but maybe a little comprehension from me at least.

3. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

ButterflyMoon (10th July 2009), grumpy_git (10th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Papers this morning said the teacher had recently returned to school after having a stress related stroke.
    Students had said he still appeared unwell and was seen talking to himself and shaking.
    Some sort of incident occured prior to the start of the lesson and word got round school.. the kids in the lesson were singing Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror but singing Psycho in the Mirror and also banging on the desks. It's then alleged that he got the boy in a headlock dragged him to another room and hit him with a 2Kg metal weight.
    They also said he hit other pupils who tried to stop him and also kicked the boy who's still in hospital.

I think we've all come across kids who go way past the boundries and you think could do with a touch of the old corpral punishment but we know that we'd be out on our ear if we did. This poor chap has obviously been pushed over the edge once and then returned - only for it to happen again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    Well, we will see what happens.
    If he really was in that sort of state, what was the school doing letting someone obviously incapable of proper teaching and clearly still not well to return - I hope some serious questions are going to be asked of the school.
    However, whilst I do understand that depression/illness can do the most dreadful things to the human psyche, if he really DID drag the boy to another room and hit him with a weight - that is not the reaction of someone who just picked up an object and lashed out with it, is it? He needs help, certainly, but what he did (if he did it) was wrong

Thank Post
    Just come back from lunch and it's been the main topic of conversation in the staffroom as you'd expect.
    Teachers here are saying that this could really start something especially if some of the papers get behind the teacher. Like one said - when you go to hospital there are signs up saying that abuse of staff will not be tolerated but kids (and parents) seem free to abuse staff all the time.

The school will no doubt have some explaining to do if they have not done anything to help a teacher who's already been off with stress. We'll obviously be hearing a lot more about this in the weeks to come.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    I really feel for anyone who has been suffering from mental health issues and also feel for the young student, who at 14 years old is doing the kind of things which is driven by hormone imbalance at this age.

I feel that the school should take some of the responsibility in that they have not seen fit to ascertain whether or not the teacher in question was well enough to teach and most of all an evaluation of what had brought the original condition on in the first place.

This incident could have probably been avoided had SLT taken notice of the teachers plight in the first place.

I hope something is learnt from all of this and that the young person recovers fully from his ordeal and that everyone comes together and understands the situation and can heal all wounds created.

Here's hoping

Thank Post
    I find that most of our "bad" kids behave the way they do because of their home life. Others get dragged along because lets face it there is very little that can actually be done to them as way of unpleasant punishment.

If the class did act in that way, it would take a strong person to be able to cope and bring them back in line. Looks like a pretty clear cut case of lack of duty of care.

I still remember what we used to do to some teachers at school, once discipline has failed, bad behaviour spirals rapidly out of control and ends up with children pushing the boundaries ever harder.

Sad all round really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It usually reflects on staff and kids alike when they are able to work around adverse conditions, either at work/school or home and lead an otherwise normal life.

Was sat in front of a server yesterday morning applying some updates, and on the PC next to it was a girl (circa 10 years old) helping out a teaching assistant. This girl had one of the most obvious cases of Aspergers Syndrome I'd seen in the flesh and was extremely forthright with the TA, me and everyone around her. Yet at the same time, she was aware of it and made the time to apologise (unnecessarily) and make further, very intelligent conversation. She went to do an errand for another member of staff, and I asked the TA if it was Aspergers. It was confirmed, and she went on to say that her family life had been extremely difficult - she didn't go into detail, and didn't need to, just by saying "circumstances that would have tipped most strong willed people way over the edge".

Other people who didn't know of the condition or her particular affliction would have said she was just disruptive and rude, and would've gone a long way to persecute further. This happens rather often. However, I was hugely impressed by
    a) how the staff handled her, had her full respect and were able to cope with a disability that can range from hugely problematic for the sufferer and teachers to something otherwise almost unnoticable.
    b) how this child had handled what's been going on at home and applied herself in such a way as to come across at a genius level, as well as being polite to those trying to help.

Point being, it's all too easy to dismiss the many success stories in lieu of sensationalised incidents like this. It's unlikely we'll ever know the true story.

Thank Post
    On our local news tonight it said that this seriously ill boy had been realest to go home !.
    I thought he was dying ? !!!.

I'm not involved much in schools at the moment, but what my daughter has told me about discipline in her school.. There is none, there is no respect for adults and others by a lot of young people nowadays .

When I was at school if you was told not to speak in class you did not, for those that would not be quite they had the slipper first and the cane next if they disobeyed then sent to the head and was sent home, good old days.

Thank Post
    Time to bring back the slipper! Send the children to the Cole mines to work!! If they work hard and do an honest 9 hours work no break they can come have a few hours of free education.

12. Thanks to Jiser from:

danrhodes (14th July 2009)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    Send the children to the Cole mines to work!!
    Are they the ones owned by Cole&Son or the ones where they dig for new teen pop singers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So thats how they find them these days. Perhaps it's time to suggest they start digging somewhere else

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tickmike View Post
    On our local news tonight it said that this seriously ill boy had been realest to go home !.
    I thought he was dying ? !!!..
    East Midlands Today said he had been released - he had a fractured skull - I'm guessing that QMC need the beds so he's been discharged. It also said that the Police had or were about to question him so he must be a lot better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12