+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, random thread about boilers...any plumbers?! in General; I'm sorry this is soooo random, but we're a clever lot... I've lived in my flat for almost 3 years ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

random thread about boilers...any plumbers?!

I'm sorry this is soooo random, but we're a clever lot...

I've lived in my flat for almost 3 years now, we have all electric and economy 7. Recently we've started to notice the lack of warm water when it comes to shower/bath time. In the morning i have a bath and then my fella has a shower and for a while he was telling me off for using up all the warm water so ive been trying really hard not to use so much, so ive only got a little bit of water in the bath then quickly wash my hair and he still runs out of warm water during his shower! Surely this time of year the water should be warmer anyway?! But strangely enough it doesnt seem to affect the kitchen sink.

Now am i imaging this or do i need to ring my landlord to get one of his useless cowboys out.

Thank Post
    Do you have a tank with an immersion heater? If so, check to see if there's a thermostat attached, it might have been turned down.

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Little-Miss (8th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Could well be a problem with the boiler and I am pretty sure you haven't changed your bathroom routine all of a sudden. I would inform your landlord.

In the meantime, boil a full kettle of water to increase the temperature of a bath. Full of good ideas me

5. Thanks to Michael from:

Little-Miss (8th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope no immersion...i dont think. No dials anyway. Its got two wires that go into the wall with a switch, one which is on all the time, and one that comes on automatically during economy 7 time.

Thank Post
    For Economy 7 water heating, there is almost certainly an immersion heater (or two) in the hot water tank.

I would expect the top element NOT to be switched on unless you need a boost of hot water. The bottom element is the one that should run for 7 hours overnight.

What is the water like in Birmingham? If you have hard water, it may be that the tank is full of crud (last house I had, the tank was old and open at the top. I cleared the crud, and took half a dozen FULL buckets of calcium somethingate out! I also had to re-work two of the pipes in it as they were totally blocked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our boiler has just broke down. Water all over the cellar. We live in a 120 year old house, the boiler was fitted in 1973, you would have thought it would last longer!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine stopped working slowly as the element in the boiler gave up. First off I didn't have hot water for long, then it stopped completely.

As it was summer and I had an electric shower I really didn't mind!

The part only cost 20 but when I didn't empty the tank properly................

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    and took half a dozen FULL buckets of calcium somethingate.
    calcium carbonate, it dissolves hydrochloric acid.
    double check the thermostat - there should be one on it somewhere. Failing that you could try filling the immersion tank full of acid to see what happens

Thank Post
    I have a 12 year old (so still quite new..ahem) combi boiler, that I find to be really annoying, every year the British Gas Man comes out to fix it.. I pay the 14per month charge for this (like what they do for white goods).

Sometimes it stops pumping, and then I get nothing but cold water..

Get the landlord in, and see if you can persuade him to sign up to the monthly deal, they also like to cme out and check it before winter sets in...

Thank Post
    Check that the bit that's on all the time isn't a fused spur with a blown fuse: if it's at the top of the tank, it's probably got a thermostat in it to boost the water temperature as you use it, wheras the economy 7 bit heats the water during the night when it's cheaper.

edit: I don't know why I said top. It could be anywhere.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 8th July 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Brum has very soft water, as I recall, so the limescale thing shouldn't be an issue.

Our boiler has been dying slowly as well - in the cold weather it didn't come on unless you hit reset, and then last week - y'know, when it was REALLY hot - I noticed that the radiators were hot!! (the hall thermostat was set to 15 and the 'click' told us that the temp in there was over 22).
    It is 15 years old and we were told 5 years ago that it was going out so I suppose we can't complain.
    Been quoted anything from 1000 to 2000 for a new one - how do you tell what is a good one or the right size or what?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Andrew_C;357357]
    I would expect the top element NOT to be switched on unless you need a boost of hot water. The bottom element is the one that should run for 7 hours overnight.
    [\QUOTE]

ooh, are you saying the top switch shouldnt be on at all?

The water in brum is the best....straight from the valleys!!
    Last edited by witch; 9th July 2009 at 07:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    ooh, are you saying the top switch shouldn't be on at all?
    Assuming (dangerous I know) that you have a normal system, no, you would only turn it on to boost some hot water. Maybe if someone had nicked all the hot water for a bath say and you needed some for a shower. However, it will take time to heat up so not a fix in your case. It will only heat the top 1/3 of the tank (hot water rising and all that)

If the symptoms have changed over time, I'd be suspicious... Ohhhh hang on! Have you got a header tank? Probably squareish, in a loft or somewhere high? Check that there is water in that and that the ball-valve is working. Run a bath and see if it fills as fast as it empties. If not, there is a real risk of burning the immersion elements out!

16. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Little-Miss (9th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Bah cheapest and easiest option is for you and the fella to share a shower/bath

18. Thanks to Shane from:

Little-Miss (9th July 2009)

Thank Post
    You'd love my combi..it's mildly demented. Big boiler rated for a 4 bed detached property, in... a 2 bed top floor flat.

The temperature dial doesn't seem to do much..if it fires, you'll get a "WHOOMF", and then either warm or screamingly hot water depending on its mood, unless you want a shower in which case you have to taunt it to get it to warm up then wait until it's had a paddy and ramped the temp up and up to a stable point then introduce the cold.

At random it'll fire for no reason, sometimes you give it a reason and it ignores you. Sometimes it crashes on the heating mode and requires 3-4 consecutive power cycles to come back to an operating state, and/or threats with pliers and a rubber mallet to the side.

I do like it..it's an E rated noncondenser from 1996, but it's a hoot. The only issues that bug me are the kitchen cold tap is broken (never buy a plastic mixer, they're sh1te) so if I want cold, I have to run the hot to wash up and leave it 3 hours to reach a sane temperature or shut down the boiler while the tap's running, and the bathroom tap/shower diverter gets that hot that it scales up on the surface/spout in a week or so, and to turn it off requires an oil filter strap wrench. Never touch it while it's running either, as it burns.

At some point I've apparently got a plumber coming out again. He did say last time the tap would break soon after being repaired.

I had an A rated condensing boiler previously with a cylinder..this one knocks spots off it. Even if it is shot to hell, heh..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast