+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, torchwood in General; Originally Posted by Andrew_C Hitchcockian . Not sure that is a real word! But I know what you mean The ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Hitchcockian .
    Not sure that is a real word! But I know what you mean

The end was just plain nasty - Jack is not that nice underneath, is he? I'm sure they could have figured out a way round the child issue. I know that it seemed to be the only answer but I also know lots of people who could NEVER have done that to their grandchild, no matter what the consequence was.
    And the very end - we never did find out if the truth was revealed or how the world recovered - I always want to know about that sort of thing!
    I like Torchwood but I always feel vaguely disloyal to UNIT when watching it - years of watching Dr Who as a child back in the 70's I suppose

Thank Post
    Loved the whole five episodes right up until I realised what Jack was going to do. As Witch said above, everyone would have thought they'd have done something to save all the children, doing that to his own Grandson was difficult for him but I thought in the normal Torchwood or Dr Who was it would all just work out in the end.

Of course though, the whole story was about the decisions we have to make or the way in which we deal with things. Some people come to the front and get on with things whilst others cower away and try to blame everyone else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two things that were really shocking:

1) Frobisher killing his family and himself (turns out needlessly).
    2) Jack sacrificing his Grandson. There are a lot of these types of moral dilemmas (the few vs the many). I think that this is where Jack differs from The Doctor, he is prepared to sacrifice anything for the greater good whereas (I think) The Doctor would believe that the world wouldn't be worth saving if you had to sacrifice a child. He generally tries to pursuade people not to sacrifice themselves and try and find another way. At least thats my take on it.

And yes, this mini series was amazing.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 11th July 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Thank Post
    This was the Darkest Tourchwood series to date, yes the child/family deaths were disturbing and out of character, but its after the watershed and made compulsive viewing.

Cant wait for the next series!!

Thank Post
    Yea it was definate good I was thinking that it was going be another clash with the doctor and jack, like they did before this one or the doctor saves the day but he didnt. and poor Ianto , dont think jack been close not even to "Captian John Hart" (James Marsters).

but I have noticed one thing that "Captian Jack" and "The Doctor" that there are always the ones who have to live on, while their companions, either die from eniemes or old age and they are the only ones who still have alive with those memories and since they can't really die. So I reccomend that "The Doctor" should allow "Captian Jack" to join him.

I hope there more torchwood to come, it been brillant indeed, well would love to see an xmas special but it always the doctor who gets the higher audince.

Well there has gotta be more torchwood, well since "the doctor" isnt always around, and torchwood been alien captrue, it has to be in cardiff, but I really enjoyed the orginal team but how can they bring back don't know.

Well looks that "Captian Jack's" Weakness is being killed then tired then sealed away before he recovers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that writers have made the public hate Jack the main hero. How do you turn that around to let people accept him again.

Thank Post
    The Doctor always has female companions - it's been a while since he had a male as the main one. So perhaps previous posters may be right. Also the actor taking over from David, does not have such a high profile, might need a boost from the Captain (even though the audience may now "hate" him).

The whole summer to wait and see ....

Thank Post
    The new Doctor, wasn't sure to begin with if he'd be any good but when you look at him, see him talking etc I think he'll be a good Doctor. He has that quirky manor, should fit in well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Not sure that is a real word! But I know what you mean
    That's because it's [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchcockian"]"Hitchcockian"[/ame] .

The end was just plain nasty - Jack is not that nice underneath, is he? I'm sure they could have figured out a way round the child issue. I know that it seemed to be the only answer but I also know lots of people who could NEVER have done that to their grandchild, no matter what the consequence was.
    I don't think he was ever supposed to be that nice. I may be in the minority (of one) but I felt that he had minutes to make a terrible decision, and he made the right one. I did feel that had the daughter and grandson been part of the series from the outset, rather than "appearing" this season, it would have had much more emotional depth than it did. Mind you, I haven't got kids/am never likely to have them (and at the rate Mme LeMarchand's girls are going, grandchildren are a long way off) so I have no idea of how important children are to those that do have them.

And the very end - we never did find out if the truth was revealed or how the world recovered - I always want to know about that sort of thing!
    I wondered how everyone knew it was all over as soon as the children stopped screaming! As for recovery, how would the world recover from that? Who would trust the government? What about the soldiers and the others involved in the "round up"? Also a bit worried that the woman who suggested the cull seemed on course to be PM (or at least the power behind the throne).

Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Cant wait for the next series!!
    I'd be quite happy if "Children" was the last season: it "felt" like one, and would go out on a high. (Plus there wouldn't be a need to explain the points witch raises). Mind you, if the next season explored those issues (and the Doctor isn't around to provide continuity complications with the parent show), then maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    The problem is that writers have made the public hate Jack the main hero. How do you turn that around to let people accept him again.
    I don't hate him. I've always had problems with the character anyway (he just doesn't make "sense" to me, and seems a bit of a Mary Jane for RTD) and JB is (to be charitable) not the world's best actor. If anything, I felt that the events of "Children" made him a bit more interesting. Again, probably in a minority on that one!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    That's because it's "Hitchcockian" .

I don't think he was ever supposed to be that nice. I may be in the minority (of one) but I felt that he had minutes to make a terrible decision, and he made the right one. I did feel that had the daughter and grandson been part of the series from the outset, rather than "appearing" this season, it would have had much more emotional depth than it did. Mind you, I haven't got kids/am never likely to have them (and at the rate Mme LeMarchand's girls are going, grandchildren are a long way off) so I have no idea of how important children are to those that do have them.
    thats my read if anything i feel sorry for him forced to choose between 2 terrible possibilities he chose the least worst one for the majority and it cost him his family and self belief

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information