+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, I'm about to become a network manager - any tips? in General; 1. Form an ICT user group. it is the best way to get feedback from staff. We have about 8-10 ...
    Thank Post

how to get on/take over the world

1. Form an ICT user group. it is the best way to get feedback from staff. We have about 8-10 people on ours from across the school. It makes the Network Dept seem a bit more transparent rather than just the room where they practice the black arts.
    2. Be nice to the headteacher - they will decide your next pay increase
    3. Buy cakes, for some reason teachers seem obsessed by them - this is not a joke, it has an instant affect (or is that effect - always get that wrong).

Thank Post
    Sorry

I forgot when you get suppliers ring say "I have no money" it works every time lols.

Richard

Thank Post
    Purchase a cat with long fur that fits nicely on your knee and practice your evil laugh for when anyone asks you for a favour.
    Works for me.

Thank Post
    ensure the right proccesses are in place for reporting problems and make sure people follow procedure!!!!!!

best thing i did when i took over, stopped the queue at my desk expecting instant help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do as little as possible for as long as possible. The first week or so you should be easing into things.

Your first job is your Techies, if you're blessed with any. Watch them, see how they currently work. Make them nervous and work shadow them. And by all means keep asking them questions. 6 months into my first NM role and am still constantly asking my team where things are or how things are currently done (even if a pretty much know the answers now).

The first thing I did was get to know the Network Infrastructure. The IP range, generally which block of IP's were reserved for which devices, important shares, server configs, etc.

Next up is budget, can't believe no ones mentioned this yet. The sooner you know what budgets you are in control of and how much is available in each, the sooner you can start planning.

One of the best thing to do early on is complete the Becta ICT Investment Planner - Becta Schools - ICT investment planner - You will gain a massive insight to IT through out the school as you go round finding the answers needed to complete this, I did! And you'll so start seeing what needs doing, what improvements are needed.

Finally, stay logged on here! The guys and girls on this forum are your life line use us, we're here to help

6. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

bandgeekmafia78 (8th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Give it a term and sit back and see what the issues are and where you can improve what is currently in place. Try and support teachers as much as possible when you first start to get them on your side especially if the old NM has left on bad terms. I would then try and arrange meetings with heads of department and see how they currently use ICT and how they would like to do this. It then gives you an opportunity to see what the skills are of the staff in the school.

I would plan a short, medium and long term plan with costings on paper so you have an idea what you hope to achieve over a number of years. I think you should forget about the luxuries initially and just make sure things work before jumping in with two feet.

8. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

bandgeekmafia78 (8th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thankyou everyone, some very useful posts here (especially the one about getting a big fluffy cat to stroke!).

No doubt I'll be using Edugeek a whole lot more in the future, theres obviously a lot of talented Network Mangers out there

Alan.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12