+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Any amateur photographers here? in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Agreed on the Velbon, and spend a good few quid on it, I think mine cost about £45 and its very nice and smooth

Thank Post
    I've been into Photography for a while and only been using Digital SLR for the last couple of years. I use a Nikon D40x and looking to upgrade to a D90 when I have some spare money.
    For anyone starting out, I recommend either Nikon or Canon. You don't have to have a pro model to get great photos. It's about having a good eye, composition and learning how to use manual settings, depth of field etc.
    As well, experiment with different kinds of photography, it's a great way to learn how your camera works.

I use this site quite a bit. It has weekly assignments and guides on all kinds of photography.
    Digital Photography School - Digital Photography Tips for You

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As an ex-pro photographer, it's got to be Nikon every time for me. I've used Canon, Olympus, Hasselblad, and Mamiya film cameras over the years, but always found Nikon to give me the edge in performance. The same is true now for DSLR and I'm very happy with my Nikons. Their VR lenses are amazing.

Don't cut corners by buying the cheaper lenses or filters, and buy the most expensive tripod you can afford.

And get it all insured!

Thank Post
    One thing that bugs the hell out of me is people who insist on comparing their £250 point and shoot camera with my £2500 kit and saying that the pictures are kind of the same.

These are the same people who just don't notice iso noise.

Who just don't understand the relationship between f-stops, focal length & depth of field. Nor the way a lens will distort perspective at different focal lengths.

They rarely even notice the type of light they are shooting.

They really have no Idea why I wasted £200 on a dedicated flash and £20 on a defuser.

I can go on. But I feel better now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    One thing that bugs the hell out of me is people who insist on comparing their £250 point and shoot camera with my £2500 kit and saying that the pictures are kind of the same.

These are the same people who just don't notice iso noise.

Who just don't understand the relationship between f-stops, focal length & depth of field. Nor the way a lens will distort perspective at different focal lengths.

They rarely even notice the type of light they are shooting.

They really have no Idea why I wasted £200 on a dedicated flash and £20 on a defuser.

I can go on. But I feel better now.
    All very true.

Most people who use point and shooters, though, are more than happy with the results and therefore won't understand why we hulk around massive SLRs.

And if they're printing pictures taken in good light at 10 x 15cm from a good compact there simply won't be much noticeable difference.

The SLRs advantage is in it's flexibility, low-light performance and ability to produce massive prints from reletively low pixel counts.

Thank Post
    @ ICT_GUY - err no I promise not to compare my £100 Sony point and shoot to your light collecting cannon

7. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

ICT_GUY (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by westleya View Post
    All very true.

Most people who use point and shooters, though, are more than happy with the results and therefore won't understand why we hulk around massive SLRs.

And if they're printing pictures taken in good light at 10 x 15cm from a good compact there simply won't be much noticeable difference.

The SLRs advantage is in it's flexibility, low-light performance and ability to produce massive prints from reletively low pixel counts.
    And the creative options, the control over how the shot is taken, ability to take instant photos, the ability to take 6fps @ 15MP, the fine tuning, the ability to shoot in raw, the ability of tuning the image in adobe image raw before it even gets near photoshop. And loads more

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    And the creative options, the control over how the shot is taken, ability to take instant photos, the ability to take 6fps @ 15MP, the fine tuning, the ability to shoot in raw, the ability of tuning the image in adobe image raw before it even gets near photoshop. And loads more
    Yes, that too

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345