+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any amateur photographers here? in General; ...

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster: Busybub's advice is good but if you keep an eye on flea-bay you can spend a lot less. I've just got rid of my Canon EOS 10D for £120 - much better build quality than the 300D/350D/400D and a good mix of basic and advanced functions. The 10D is also made of metal - thus it is a little more weighty which helps steady your shots.

Another piece of advice is don't buy a 'kit lens'. These are the ones that get bundled with bodies. They are generally poorer quality and just feel cheap and unsatisfying to use.

Things to look out for when buying second hand (I'm particularly talking about Canon here) are the following:
    • The mention of mould (or lack of it) on lenses - mould is bad
    • Number of actuations a body has done - recorded in the picture metadata
    • Good quality photographs of the body if it's an Internet sale - this will let you know if the camera has been looked after
    • Reason for sale - again, lets you know that the equipment has been cared for

Also, if you sudddenly trip over a large wedge of £20s, I have a EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 L lens to shift
    Last edited by Ric_; 7th July 2009 at 09:13 AM.

2. Thanks to Ric_ from:

cookie_monster (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Also, if you sudddenly trip over a large wedge of £20s, I have a EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 L lens to shift
    Does it have mould?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Does it have mould?
    Cheeky so an so!

Thank Post
    All good info guys cheers.

Thank Post
    I do alot of Photography, I've been featured ina few mags also, what digital camera, practical photography. My website is DRP.com

Dan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    The Minolta SLR I have was a hand-me-down from my Grandad who was a very keen photographer so I haven't added to it yet, but I know a friend who has an A100 has bought some nice lenses off eBay for stupidly cheap money at times, but I would say the same for any 2nd user kit if you hit it right you get a bargain.

Thank Post
    Olympus E-520

You will find very little difference between picture quality amongst most DSLR's and there are very few "bad" DSLR's. You have to go to pixel level to see the difference more often than not.

What ever you do make sure you research all the different cameras within your budget and go try them out before you buy, don't go on just the word of others because all you will be told is Canon and Nikon are the best. This is neither useful or necessarily true.

Personally I use my E-520 with Original OM Lenses. Using OM Lenses means manual focus and aperture control but that is half the fun

Thank Post
    I'm going to take a look at a couple of Cannons and the Sony that john mentioned, i'll take a look at the Olympus as well if I come accross one.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by capncrunch View Post
    Olympus E-520

You will find very little difference between picture quality amongst most DSLR's and there are very few "bad" DSLR's. You have to go to pixel level to see the difference more often than not.

What ever you do make sure you research all the different cameras within your budget and go try them out before you buy, don't go on just the word of others because all you will be told is Canon and Nikon are the best. This is neither useful or necessarily true.

Personally I use my E-520 with Original OM Lenses. Using OM Lenses means manual focus and aperture control but that is half the fun
    Quite agree. I'm a Pentax man myself. You might want to look at either the K-m or K20. Good kit.

Olympus stuff is lovely, but I went for Pentax as I can fit 50 year old lenses onto it and didn't want to be in the Canikon camp

For something totally different, look for a Sigma SD14 or Fujifilm S5 Pro (takes Nikon lenses, flash, etc). Both cheap now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have personally the 5D MK1 but I have had the 350d and the 400d I would definately go for the 400d over the 350 for the dust reduction. One reason to use canons is the large number of manual focus lenses that fit it with an adapter (including nikon!). using a lens that is fully manual really makes you stop and think what you are doing not just firing of 4 gigs worth and sifting through it.Manual Focus Forum | Lens, Very, Color, Zeiss, Sharp | Manual Focus Lenses-Manual Focus Lenses there is some lovely prime lenses out there for a fraction of the price of the auto plastic junk that get sold these days. Try a zeiss flektogon mounted to your DSLR and you will be hooked! Certainly at the wide end Canon struggle to make a decent lens without going into eye waternig price territory, at the long end Canon make some fabulous glass. Dont forget the 3rd party stuff from Sigma and tamron they make pretty good stuff too these days. I have also had t he Pentax K20 for a while at work and really liked it but coming from canon i found the layout a little confusing, I am sure i'd get used to it though.

Thank Post
    While we're on the subject anyone know if most camera and tripods have a standard thread.

I have a Sony DSC-W120 and I wanted to get a tripod that would fit it but the Sony one is £40, just wondered if I could get a budget one for less.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VCT-TK1-Super-Compact-Tripod/dp/B00005K4LL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247514558&sr =8-1]Sony VCT-TK1 Super Compact Tripod: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

Ahhh Haaa this might fit the bill

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VCT-R100-Tripod-General-Use/dp/B000EYADSG/ref=pd_cp_ce_1"]Sony VCT-R100 Tripod For General Use: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 13th July 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Thank Post
    I have used my tripod (generic jessops one) on canons/olympus/sony's and im 99.9% sure most (if not all) have the same thread.

p.s consider a gorrilla pod, if your in the market for a tripod. There a useful bit of kit.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-GP1-E1EN-Gorillapod-Original-Black/dp/B000EVSLRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247515369&sr =8-1"]Joby Gorillapod Original - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

or for SLR's (added bulk and stiffness, not diffrent fittings)

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-GP2-01P-Gorillapod-SLR/dp/B000HAVVFG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247515369&sr =8-2"]Joby Gorillapod - SLR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
    Last edited by mossj; 13th July 2009 at 09:03 PM.

14. Thanks to mossj from:

cookie_monster (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    The thread is generic I think. The advice I was given on tripods is that you want a metal head and something fairly substantial, otherwise it will wobble and be a waste of time. Calumet do some nice own brand ones.

Thank Post
    I've always used Velbon Video Tripods as they are very stable, made well and have excellent fluid heads if you go for the higher up models!

D
    Last edited by danrhodes; 14th July 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    FWIW, you can get some good deals on new kit these days - picked up a Canon 40D + 17-85 kit lens for £700 the other day, in PC world, no less. Took >1hr of haggling mind. Didn't really want the kit lens, but it is not a bad old thing for someone on a strict "no lenses or meat, or things that cost money/taste nice" diet (wedding coming up!).

Edit: The reason I was allowed to drop 700 notes on a camera so close to my wedding? Insurance job. 300D got banged a bit after a few too many Tuskers somewhere in the middle of the Kenyan bush near Nakuru

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast