+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any amateur photographers here? in General; I got a Sony A200 because (at the time) it was the best budget camera, has best kit lens of ...
    Thank Post
    I got a Sony A200 because (at the time) it was the best budget camera, has best kit lens of the series. Also it feels like what it cost, unlike the canon which felt a bit 'muh' to me.

Thank Post
    Another Canon Fan here but I also have an Olympus 400 point and shoot which I still use occassionally

A good all round beginners book is this one [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Handbook-Doug-Harman/dp/1847244459/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246875979&sr=1-3]The Digital Photography Handbook: Amazon.co.uk: Doug Harman, David Jones: Books[/ame]
    It covers everything from using a point and shoot to a DSLR all the way to editing and selling your pictures. From there you can decide on what further reading you may need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Its amazing these days what can be snapped on a cheap digital cam.
    This is a quick snap I took yesterday of one of my sunflowers - ok its slightly over exposed on the right but for a cheap fuji it's quite amazing....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any amateur photographers here?-3690289639_9c7a338033_o.jpg  

Thank Post
    I started on an olympus E-500 and moved onto a canon 40D. The olympus is great (and now cheap second hand) however I found that the longer focal length lenses tended to be a lot more expensive then the canon equivelent. The only reason I changed cameras was because of lens prices.

Thank Post
    Without trying to start up a Nikon / Cannon war, probably the best first dSLR has to be the Nikon D60. Where you go from there is down to personal preference, I was always a Cannon man (350/400/450D)until I got my hands on the Nikon D300.
    New vs used? I've bought both, but will generally go for second hand lenses as long as I know they are in good nick. Been caught out once with mold inside a lens, but know what to look for now.

Thank Post
    I bought a Sony a200 at the weekend as my old compact was getting a bit temperamental. I've always preferred an SLR so I decided to bite the bullet. The reviews for the Sony are very good and the fact that it is based on Minolta is a big plus in my book.
    I am a bit of a Luddite and still like using film (although it is getting more and more pricey) & I still use my old Minolta X300 which I guess is over 20+ years old and is working fine.

Thank Post
    Course T189 with the Open University is to be recommended.

Thank Post
    I agree with mitcheln, the OU T189 provides a good starting point, I did the original T189 when it first started.

My kit, Canon 40D with a range of Canon lenses. L series are expensive but give fantatstic quality compred to the budget ones.

Whatever DSLR you buy, beware the lens and accessory bug, as it will bite you!

Thank Post
    Course T189 does look interesting but i'm not sure I can commit 10 hours every week at the moment but i'll certainly look at it in future.

BUT I am interested was the course fairly straight forward, I might be able to make the time
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 6th July 2009 at 01:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Course was pretty straight forward, though I don't think I committed 10 hours a week. What I did enjoy were the projects - taking images for a particular theme and then posting them for other students to critique. You also learn basic editing as well as Photoshop Elements was included in the cost of the course.

Many of the ex T189 students have been hoping that the OU would do a level 2 course in Digital Photography, but that hasn't happened.

There is a very active T189 group on Flickr with ex students here Flickr: The T189 Past, Present & Future (Book or Song Title) Pool

Brian

11. Thanks to pbrian49 from:

cookie_monster (6th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Nikon D70 & D70s are good cameras too, if a bit long in the tooth now. I have just swapped my D70 for a D300, it is a serious piece of kit, especially if you want something that gives you total control over what you are doing. It is not a budget camera though. Look for the fastest lenses you can afford, whatever system you go for. Fixed focal length lenses generally outperform zooms in terms of image quality (especially at extremes of focal length & aperture) but zooms are much more convenient.

If you are looking for longer focal length lenses, consider image stabilised variants to help reduce image blurring. It is almost impossible to hand hold my D300 steady with an old Nikon 70-300 (non-stabilised) zoom lens at the 300mm end in anything other than brilliant sunshine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Nikon D70 & D70s are good cameras too, if a bit long in the tooth now. I have just swapped my D70 for a D300, it is a serious piece of kit, especially if you want something that gives you total control over what you are doing.
    The D90 (which I've just upgraded to) is a good step down from the D300 if your pockets aren't that deep but I know a couple of people with 300s who are perfectly happy with it.

Thank Post
    Of course, as you'll have gathered already, DSLR owners are typically extremely brand-loyal

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Of course, as you'll have gathered already, DSLR owners are typically extremely brand-loyal
    Nah - they just have a load of lenses that won't work with anything else

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    No... Canon is better than Nikon!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast