+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, One Days Work in General; Hey guys, I've been asked to help out at the previous school I've worked at doing database maintainanence. I'll book ...

Thank Post

One Days Work

Hey guys,

I've been asked to help out at the previous school I've worked at doing database maintainanence. I'll book a day off in my current job at a different school, but how much should I ask for to help with the databases? Because I've worked there, and got a great understanding on how to do this in the school, I'll be happy to but wouldn't know how much to charge.

Would it be best per hour/per day?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    depends on the complexity of the database, but do not price yourself out, if they called someone in (that they didnt know) they could be looking at £500-£1000 for a day, so if you came in at around £30 per hour or £300 for the whole day (Which ever is cheaper as it depends on what time you get in) then that would be reasonable.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

Pashers (1st July 2009)

Thank Post
    I would base my figure on a number of things - travel costs (if any), litterally how hard the works going to be, and the fact that you need to be paid more than your current hourly rate to compensate for working during a day's leave! (It's only fair).

I've done one-off full days (technically a bit more than a "day" as I worked until about 7pm then!) for £500 - that was a pretty weird request - kind of network constultancy / redesign.
    I'd say definately 250-500 for the day. You'll probably still come in cheaper than them going to someone else.

5. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Pashers (1st July 2009)

Thank Post
    It's a difficult enough job. But be easier for me to fix because I've kind of done most of the scripts when I worked there and I know how it works.

The job of it would be to have an automated synchronise between three databases, rather than three different databases working independently.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashers View Post
    It's a difficult enough job. But be easier for me to fix because I've kind of done most of the scripts when I worked there and I know how it works.

The job of it would be to have an automated synchronise between three databases, rather than three different databases working independently.
    Wooooooosh! Straight over my head!

Thank Post
    Haha, it's given me a few headaches in my time. I consider myself more of a software type guy then hardware. You heard of the Canteen system CPS? When they crashed (leaving us in the ditch). Got to the canteen database, and managed to get it to synchronise with SIMS. So we don't have to import year 7, change the years, forms etc. All good fun!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread