General Chat Thread, Summer projects... in General; Originally Posted by garethedmondson
Again I raise the question - why are you doing this? What has changed that makes ...
3rd July 2009, 12:52 PM #76
- Rep Power
Imaging makes sense and it doesn't take much time. I can just schedule a few tasks through ghost console and all student machines are re-imaged overnight. As this is done overnight I don't need to wait for the summer.
Originally Posted by garethedmondson
What I don't understand is all the server rebuilding going on. For example, our fileservers were setup in 2004 and they're still going strong. I have absolutely no reason to rebuild them. Our webserver was setup in 2005 and again I've never had a need to rebuild it. Eventually they will need replacing, but not yet.
IDG Tech News
3rd July 2009, 02:06 PM #77
Hmm yeah I would like to know why people are rebuilding servers too. Isn't this usually done when something goes wrong, rather than the normal course?
Originally Posted by sideh
3rd July 2009, 02:09 PM #78
Aren't most people that are doing it in here also installing new servers as well so I'd guess that they are changing domains/reassigning their roles and shuffling them around.
3rd July 2009, 02:42 PM #79
We have the following list;
- Image 101 new PC's and distribute around site.
- Build a new ICT room from a standard classroom.
- Reimage another 300 PC's.
- Implement a new printing plan, increasing access and (hopefully) reducing administration.
- Replace 50 CRTs with TFTs.
- Dispose of old machines and CRTs.
- Replace 30 machines in the Adult Ed centre on site (awaiting go ahead from centre).
- Create two websites for feeder primary schools.
- Find a couple of days to use some leave.
It will keep us busy.
7th July 2009, 01:46 AM #80
We're moving from W2K to XP SP3 this summer - 2000+ Machines
Along with ZCM 10.2 rollout, Heritage Server Move, MS CRM rollout and Eclipse NG its going to be busy!!
Plus cutbacks... so down to 8 of us
14th July 2009, 11:12 AM #81
I've got a long list of jobs to do along with 3 weeks of leave to use up at some point before september... it'd get done so much quicker if I wasn't the only techie here.
Its funny looking back at the interview, I've got 2 weeks of discresionary leave just in case I ever find myself with nothing to do during the holidays, apparently if 2 wasn't enough I could go up to 4. I don't see myself being in a position to take any of the extra leave at this rate although the network is in a much better condition than it was when I first started full time there will always be plenty of work to be done out of term time.
Knock wall through into server cupboard, convert cupboard into store room(with help of site manager) - 1 day
Collect racks and possibly a few switches etc - 1 day
Install Racks, Switches etc - 3-5 days? depending on how much equipment I manage to get hold of
Move servers into new room & racks(old cupboard not tall enough for a rack) - half day
Install data into server room - 1.5 days
Install data between other buildings(fibre+cat5) plus a few single sockets into rooms(to replace switches...I'd love to know who decided to re-install the schools old unmanaged switches wherever an extra socket was needed...) 1 week
Build updated image, test - 2-3 days
Re-image all pc's at preprep - 2 days
Re-image all pc's at prep - 4 days
Setup backup server - 1 day
Update all server's, carry out general maintenance- half day
Full network documentation(probably won't get done) - 4 days
Test AV setups in every classroom, clean all filters - 3 days
We broke up on friday and I've got this week off, My line manager told me he's put togeather a list of things he'd like doing during the holidays - I doubt any of them will feature on the list I've already put togeather
See you all next week, heading off to Bath for a short camping holiday, lets hope the rain holds off lol
Last edited by Jamman960; 14th July 2009 at 11:17 AM.
14th July 2009, 12:31 PM #82
Hi all, heres are bref list of our jobs:
Network Support Jobs:
1. Install extra DC in B Campus.
2. Migrate DNS/DHCP from linux to windows with AD intergration in B Campus.
3. Install new web hosting server with e-comm for web dev course in B Campus.
4. Install new DC in R Campus.
5. Transfer FSMO to new DC, Demote old DC in R Campus.
6. Migrate DNS/DHCP from linux to windows with AD intergration in R Campus.
7. Install new storeage server, migrate data from old SAN in R Campus.
8. Replace all switches in P Block at R Campus.
9. Install new deployment server in R Campus.
10. Tidy and review GPO's.
11. Tidy and review AD.
12. Install Netloan server and deploy client to all open area's.
13. Install Digital Signage at R/B Campus.
14. Install print management.
15. Load balance printers.
16. VMware Maintenance.
17. Update user automation scripts.
18. Install network services into new campus - pending
+ any other jobs that pop up with all the rooms moving around.
16th July 2009, 01:20 PM #83
Lots of Projects here too! (both personal & work)
1.) Box rebuild at home
2.) Lots of esXpress product demos
3.) Car needs new bushels (not happy about that one)
4.) 30th Birthday trip to Vegas
5.) Lots of software development projects
That's the top 5 although not necessarily in that order!
Oh if anyone wants a demo of esXpress Virtual Backup pls let me know! I'm doing tons anyway
16th July 2009, 01:42 PM #84
- Rep Power
Some of what comes to mind as being done by my team and I this Summer:-
- Virtualising our servers
- Installation of 100 new PCs
- Configure trolley of 16 Netbooks
- User additions / deletions
- Restructure our shared drive
- Telephone system changes
- Various office changes / moves
- Oversee digital signage installation
- Oversee IWB installations
- Re-image some of our PCs
- Attend Apple training day
- Network cabling for new office areas and computer suites
- Install 2 suites of iMacs (25 iMacs in total)
- Website changes
- Various software installations
16th July 2009, 02:26 PM #85
Lets open this up to personal projects as well
*Scrub, stain and protect decking
*Reseed the lawn
*Learn how to grow my own vegetables
*Build a shed
*Finally finish off the downstairs laminate flooring by doing the kitchen
By SYSMAN_MK in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
Last Post: 15th May 2009, 01:02 PM
By pooley in forum General Chat
Last Post: 17th March 2009, 10:04 AM
By uk101man in forum Group Project
Last Post: 24th June 2008, 10:17 AM
By ZeroHour in forum Announcements/News
Last Post: 3rd April 2008, 11:16 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)