As a teacher, I'm just thinking what I have to do...
1. Finish on 23rd July
2. Go to the pub
3. Drink a lot
4. Get home
6. Polish caravan and car
7. Load everything
8. Hitch up
9. Disappear for 5 weeks around Europe.
Not coming for results day this year. Leaving work for the technician. Whether it gets done is anyones guess. But from the 23rd of July until the 29th August I'm gone.
Oh well ;-)
My aim is much more limited - given that I have 20 hours to work during the holiday (and not necessarily in this order):
- Upgrade Jave, shockwave, etc across the network (40 PCs)
- Clean the projectors
- Take images of all PCs that I don't have images for
- Take a hatchet to the Head's PC (if it fails to speed up after I've had yet another go at it!)
- Install new software on a couple of machines
- Disable leavers' accounts
- Create accounts for new pupils/staff
- Write document for Governors on need for upgrade of Server in next 12 months
- Clear out public storage areas; burning stuff to DVD where necessary.
I'll be hard put to do this in the time available, but the HT has been reminded that I will be claiming OT for anything extra that gets added to my list!
Some of you are taking the p*** with your job lists LMAO.....
Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:17 PM.
It's mostly housekeeping for us; we have no money left. I blew half my remaining annual budget on toner last week!
I do have a few server builds to replace our print server, a DC, and an application server.... not to mention a new 48 port switch for admin....
It will be the quietest summer holiday I have had for years... looking forward to it!
Ho hum here goes,
re image all desktops
install 32 new machines in second Ict suite
build image for 2 ict suites & deploy image
service all projectors (22)
sort out new sans
relocate several machines from second ICT suite
redo our default profile
supervise cabling contractor
pull 4-5 points in year 5 block
have Ranger installed plus configure
config a couple of new pieces of software and deploy
Plus a number of things I hve no doubt forgotton. Oh did I mention this will be in 4 weeks or so. I do have to add I am pretty sure all of this will not get done.
Here goes in no particular order apart from the order I have added them to our helpdesk....
Setup new webserver and launch new school website
Prepare to upgrade SIMS Server to SQL 2008
Setup autoshutdown on Admin PC's (Seperate network)
Setup The Dude for network monitoring
Diagram all ICT Suites with **interactive click to VNC on each workstation**
Finish Terminal Server
Convert several Web servers to VM Images
Clean and collect on projector serial numbers (70+)
Upgrade Zimbra and install backup and bad word filter
Setup WSUS server on Admin network
Setup 2 SSL Certificates on our webservers
Rebuild 600 Workstations
Setup and rebuild 300 new workstations
Get rid of 300 old workstations inc. the last of the CRT monitors
Install various software packages I have been saving for a rainy day
Install 2 IWB's into classrooms
Replace 10 Laser Printers in various rooms
Setup smoothwall SSL certificate for filtering
Remove all staff and student leavers
Add new Year 7 students
Finish End of Year Procedures on SIMS
Tidy and recable 8 cabinets across the school
Security mark all new ICT equipment
Restructure staff and student start menus
Setup Wordpress MU blogs
Update Kayako helpdesk to version 4
Reimage 15 Admin workstations including XP SP3
Looking forward too it already
This is my 1st year where i have had 100% responsibilty for the planned summer work. Last year due to some ummm yeah..... i became the IT Dept, not really having the man power to do some real maintenance on the servers and just doing the absolute vital stuff such as deploying new kit. 2008/09 it seems we have just made do with what we had.
Aim for this summer is to set a solid foundation for the IT Dept team allowing the school to move in the right direction in the college's last full year before we move to a £1.6million network in November 2010!
- new music suite, 15 pc's + software and various other items
- setup and test FOG (seems to be a comon theme!)
- migrate SEN from macs to PCs
- migrate science from macs to PCs
- Tidy 4 other IT suites
- build and test new images for all it suites and laptops + staff laptops with new software packages
- some work on our vle new skin to come into line with our new corparate image.
- Finalise new website for luanch when staff return for trainging day.
- Look at training materials for IT Team + finalise IT Team Handbook of policies and procedures
- create trainign materials for staff on various opensource packages.
- Ensure all documentation is updated with new corperate look
- APPOINT ATLEAST 1 APPRENTICE!!!
- migrate CMIS to SQL 2008.
- look at our filtering situation again.
- Get Joe from CPLTD to buy me a few drinks that he owes me
- Take my current IT Tech out for Lunch as a big thanks for his hard work in the past year. He came in for 1 day in the last week of last summer to help me and got offered a job the next day by our new head.
- few 8 hour meetings with IT Consultants.
- take up to 16 days holiday booked 8 off already but most are on fridays which are half days anyway although i'll end up rolling over 5!
- Almost forgot get ready for new intake and support our data manager on download day!
I think were up to line 55 on my Gantt Chart for the holiday, which now includes dealing with Main Electric issues (think thats more just a point and heres the key to the plant room don't turn it off without talking to me as I'm the boss), Exam results downloads, analysis, fibre installation campus wide, re-image all PCs in the campus, create a new 6th form centre, wire the 6th form centre, same with a new media studies area, install my Sun SAN when it arrives late this month, pay bills, do more wiring, make some VMs I think of low end stuff like the Library Software, remove any software that I don't have licences for and cannot be proven (so far my licence request has brought forth about 3 licence agreements so looks like we won't have any software next year on the system then Makes the images waaaay smaller ) eeer turn to Server 2008 DCs if we get time, tidy offices, server room, store room etc, and many many other jobs.
Nothing changes in our school between the day we break up and the day we go back.
I'm not trying to be annoying here - just looking to understand and wonder if our school technician should be doing more.
Is there a secret pot of money known to a select few that's paying for all this new stuff?
We have no money, not just ICT but the whole school here is in a significant budget deficit. Our ICT budget was cut by 25% this year and that was on top of cuts last year. We've had no paid overtime authorised for the last 18 months and any work we do over the summer will be entirely voluntary.
Spare some change Mr?
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)