+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Right I have now bought the brickie tool, what to do next?? in General; basically i wana build a 8metre by 4 metre x 2.5 metre high (3.5 to the top of apex) breeze ...

Thank Post

Right I have now bought the brickie tool, what to do next??

basically i wana build a 8metre by 4 metre x 2.5 metre high (3.5 to the top of apex) breeze block workshop (i have an okayish largish garden)

how deep to do the footings and what mix to use for the foootings? i done a little research and came up with 1x6 OPC cement and Ballast

how do i level the footings - do i just make it fairly level or perrrrfect?

will also need to wait for that brickie to arrive i hope its as easy as they show it on tv lol

i have ordered 4 packs of blocks 2 tonnes of sand and have 6 bags of cement ready and waiting (il buy cement as and when needed

i got 1000 pounds to do it in, already spent 300 quid the quotes i had were all 1300> for labour only WTF its only 280 - 360 blocks and 2 days for a competent brickie

Thank Post
    well 2 days if they actually work from 8-4 unlike most who work from 12-2

Thank Post
    I'd recon about a foot deep should be ok for the footings - for a single storey house the minimum requirement is 600mm, which is about 2 foot, but as its only a light weight building I wouldnt think you'd need much more than a foot, but it realy does depend on the soil - if you hit something hard early on then you'll be fine, if the ground is really soft then you need to keep digging a bit more. Make sure the bottom of the trench is pretty level - step it if you need to change levels, dont slope it.

Put a post on the outside of each corner at the correct level and level to the top of that. they need to be pretty level or you'll find it really hard laying the blocks.

If the tool you've ordered is one of those plastic things that you put on top and fill with cement then place the block on top, i really wouldn't bother! Spend a while learning how to lay blocks, after you've completed a couple of courses you will be quicker doing it without the tool!

Steve

Thank Post
    Its Clay Soil and il need to step it probly 3 times as its on a slight slope. can you elaborate on the posts part...?? stick posts in and use a string line (as i am stepping i will need to use posts on both ends of the steps?

the tool is the one you have described (put on top and fill with cement and hten rest blocks on top.... il probly use it a while and get fed up then try ding it alone and get fed up agin

Thank Post
    What are you planning to put in as a floor? Is it going to be a concrete slab?

Unless its an extreme slope i'd aim to make the foundations level all over - even if it means that part of it finishes quite a way underground - its fine to build it up in blocks underground and then back fill with soil.

With posts on the outside of the corners get some small posts and drive them in until the top of them is level with where you want the top of the foundations to be. If the sides are quite long put one half way down as well - you can level between them with a strait edge and spirit level. When you are sure they are all at the same level its quite easy pouring concrete to the correct height. - Don't forget you really need to do the whole concrete pour in one go.

Steve

Thank Post
    Right I have now bought the brickie tool, what to do next??
    Apply for planning permission?

Thank Post
    That brickie tool is actually pretty good. My brother in law put up quite a large garden wall with it and it looks excellent, but obviously will take some time.

A building of that size will probably need planning permission, it also matter where in relation to your house and boundaries you are planning on building it.

I presume you have done the calcs for weight of the roof and angle things like that and also know how to fit an apex roof. If you haven't, I'd go with a professional.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcmp View Post
    quotes i had were all 1300> for labour only WTF its only 280 - 360 blocks and 2 days for a competent brickie
    Try doing it yourself (even with your Bricky tool) and you will soon realise why brickies charge so much

But seriously though, that is quite a big project so even if you don't need planning permission you will almost certainly need to confirm to building regs. Seek professional (building) advise - try your local council!

mb

Thank Post
    nah ive checked planning permission is only required for outbuildings that are going to be used to live in, and also if they are above 4Meters tall with an apex roos (3 Metres with a flat roof)...

when u say pour in the footings in one go, can i mix and pour then mix and pour and mix and pour till done? or just pour pour pour??

Thank Post
    From what I remember you require planning permission if its 20m3 or greater and its a permanet structure (your is, ist brick whereas prefab concrete garage is not!) and as said its location to current building lines etc.

Thank Post
    No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
    Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
    Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
    No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
    No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
    In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
    On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
    Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

Thank Post
    those are the only rules to keep within, also obvously electrics need to conform.... but thats bout it as far as i can see... worse comes to the worse il put a flatish roof an cover with loftboards and felt them up.

Thank Post
    By pour in one go I mean same day basically - as long as you just keep mixing and pouring it will be fine, you just dont want to mix a bit, go and have 2 hour lunch breakthen come and do a bit more.

It might be worth seeing how much mixa-mate or one of the similar companies charge - they bring a big machine that mixes the exact ammount you need as you require it.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcmp View Post
    nah ive checked planning permission is only required for outbuildings that are going to be used to live in, and also if they are above 4Meters tall with an apex roos (3 Metres with a flat roof)...
    But as i mentioned above, have your checked the Building Regulations???

From Exempt buildings...

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds City Council
    Shed
    In order to be exempt your shed must satisfy the following
    • Must be detached.
    • Internal floor area must not exceed 30 square metres.
    • More than 1 metre from the boundary or constructed of brickwork or blockwork.
    • Must not be used for any other purpose (e.g. Kitchen or living / sleeping accommodation).
    • If built of timber and is not more than 1m from the boundary, the floor area must be below 15 square metres.
    ...you are a couple of square-metres out!!
    (I chose the above web-site 'cos your profile says you are from Leeds)

I would check with the Council first, otherwise you may be forced to demolish the building

mb

Thank Post
    Ok, I've finally had enough and have to weigh in....

1. Stop.
    2. Re-design your shed so it fits planning constraints (if you knew maths, you'd have worked out that your planned floor area is 32sqm, which is more than the 30 permitted)
    3. If you're really going to do this stupid thing, get a competent builder to tell you it's stupid, and then build it for you.
    4. Alternatively, do a couple of years labour with a building firm so that you learn what you're doing, and then build it. There's an awful lot more to be considered here than just 'how do I lay bricks and pour cement'.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast