+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Right I have now bought the brickie tool, what to do next?? in General; hi powdarrmonkey, i asked for advice, saying 'its stupid' doesnt actually help. i am a plumber by trade, one year ...

Thank Post
    hi powdarrmonkey,

i asked for advice, saying 'its stupid' doesnt actually help. i am a plumber by trade, one year from my nic (electrics) qualification, have block paved over 100m2 of land perfectly (mine, friends e.t.c) and there is nothing that i dont think i can manage doing by myself (obviously with help from friends and family) i am not a guy that gives up and will take advice from everyone but i hate comments like the one you made.A standard builder has learnt from experience exactly how i have learnt my fulltime job (i have no qualifications apart from 3 GCSE's. I am not building a bridge for gos sake, fine i will do a 4mtrex4mtre shed and then do another one at the side (which will fulfill building regs) i just wanted to see if anyone else has experience which some have been giving and been very helpfull. My english probly isnt very good and these kids will probly outdo me in an english test but i dont give up, maybe il post a picture once finished. end of the day only one person can have a problem and i have already had a word with him (my far neighbour (im in a detached house) anyways rant over. Do you know how hard it is to find an actual competent builder their all cowboys id rather do it myself, save the cash and fund my gas safe course next year.

i dont give up mate, i dont go out, i dont even go on holidays.i plan my next challenge!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcmp View Post
    hi powdarrmonkey,

i asked for advice, saying 'its stupid' doesnt actually help. i am a plumber by trade, one year from my nic (electrics) qualification, have block paved over 100m2 of land perfectly (mine, friends e.t.c) and there is nothing that i dont think i can manage doing by myself (obviously with help from friends and family) i am not a guy that gives up and will take advice from everyone but i hate comments like the one you made.A standard builder has learnt from experience exactly how i have learnt my fulltime job (i have no qualifications apart from 3 GCSE's. I am not building a bridge for gos sake, fine i will do a 4mtrex4mtre shed and then do another one at the side (which will fulfill building regs) i just wanted to see if anyone else has experience which some have been giving and been very helpfull. My english probly isnt very good and these kids will probly outdo me in an english test but i dont give up, maybe il post a picture once finished. end of the day only one person can have a problem and i have already had a word with him (my far neighbour (im in a detached house) anyways rant over. Do you know how hard it is to find an actual competent builder their all cowboys id rather do it myself, save the cash and fund my gas safe course next year.

i dont give up mate, i dont go out, i dont even go on holidays.i plan my next challenge!
    I think there's a fairly major difference between block paving and building a permanent block, brick and wood structure like you're planning. It's absolutely no concern of mine how many qualifications you have: if you try and build something without good advice from a builder (which, as far as I know, none of us are), it's probably going to fall on your head. More problematic, if it falls on someone else's head, you are liable. If nothing else makes you stop and think, that should.

At the moment you're going to end up with an unsafe, legally dubious building and you have to recognise that. You can't just throw some bricks together with nil experience and hope for the best. Get a brickie who you know isn't a cowboy because s/he has a good local reputation.

Hiring a proper builder doesn't mean you can't get stuck in with the construction yourself, it just means there is someone else around who knows what they're doing. They'll probably be glad of the help.

(I'm not your mate, either.)
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 30th June 2009 at 01:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    i will do a 4mtrex4mtre shed and then do another one at the side (which will fulfill building regs)
    Building 2 4x4s next to each other will still exceed the permitted floor area... you can't get round it by breaking the floor area into lots of smaller chunks. Planning requires the total floor area to be less than 30 sqm

powdarrmonkey was abrupt, and I can see where you are coming from. However, I too would have concerns about an extension being built when you need to ask so many questions about the technicalities.

I have a feeling that a bunch of edugeeks may not be the right people to ask for the answers. There must be more relevant forums that can give you the answers you need.

PS as for the foundations, our conservatory was a minimum of 60cm, but once they started digging (our soil is clay too) they decided we needed 1 metre.

Thank Post
    Good luck with the building. All my admiration for someone wanting to build their own. No fun in getting someone else todo it, adds a sense of accomplishment.

My uncle did everything around the house. Built the extension, built the pool, made all the cabinets, tables, side tables, beds himself as well, did all the raised borders etc etc. Took him almost four years, but I've never seen someone so proud in himself and I thought everything was grand.

Thank Post
    il pop a picture up once ive finished......do you actually know what goes into block paving? i see building a garage/shed much easier than paving....by the way whoever asked - i do have a cement mixer and a whacker plate (from all my block paving projects)

if i list all the things i have done it will take me ages but i have mastered skimming (using 10 bags of thistle finish as my training instructer - cost : 50quid as opposed to 700quid to go to a couse for 5 ddays. Took my 2 years to do the insides of my house (dul rewire skimming plus built an internal wall of BRICK 3metre by 2.4 metre plus fitted kitchen and bathroom all real wood floowing carpeting ripped cielings down and drywalled and plastered, retiled the roof replaced all soffits and drainpipes. e.t.c guess what my house is still standing, the water drains nicely. the tiles are still up on the bathroom walls and the silicone is stil white in the bathroom (after 4 years of me and family bathing)

the only thing i havent done yet is laid foundations well level foundations but i think i got my answer now from this forum and my usual diy forum (use posts and a stringline)

I will make the garage as large as can be within regs and hopefully post a picture in bout a month or 2 depending on how tired i am digging the footings (have you ever dug in clay)

i only said mate sarcastically, i would dream of having someone so negative as a friend, id say something like common powdermonkey lets clean your drains coz your house nearly got flooded last week in the downpours and youd be like no way its too dangerous and hten go and spend 300 quid on a 'roofer' unfortunately im not a rich person that i can spend 1300 on labour for 2-5 days work (id rather do it myself and save the cash then i can fullfill my dream of paying off my mortgage and having a few more kids.

Thank Post
    I will make the garage as large as can be within regs and hopefully post a picture in bout a month or 2 depending on how tired i am digging the footings (have you ever dug in clay)

why don't you hire a digger then?

But i definately think your asking in the wrong place here. diy or builders forum would be the right place to go!
    or get someone in to do the groundworks correctly then you've got peace of mind throught the rest of the project!

Thank Post
    digger hire 150quid, or myself 1hour a day i can do at least 1 mtre will take me 20 days or less if i call the friemnds round for tea party (thatls cost 30quid!) then that saved 120quid (150-30) can buy my daughter her wooden play thing with the swings slides and tunnel

Thank Post
    digger hire 150quid, or myself 1hour a day i can do at least 1 mtre will take me 20 days or less if i call the friemnds round for tea party (thatls cost 30quid!) then that saved 120quid (150-30) can buy my daughter her wooden play thing with the swings slides and tunnel
    Fair point! Round here you can rent a digger for around 50 a day so wouldn't of been to bad and saved you being tired! getting the friends round can also be a good idea though. call in some favours!

Thank Post
    ok so i have checked my councils regs and it is:
    Detached Garage (exempt if)
    It does not exceed 30m2 floor area and is either: -

a. more than 1m from any point of the boundary of its curtilage or
    b. Constructed substantially of non-combustible materials

so i can build a 7.5x4 as opposed to my initial 8x4

concrete blocks are none combustible so iit can be right upto the boundry

so im calculating it to cost 500quid without roof and door (i already have a double glazed window)

roof will cost quite abit i think and door will cost 100ish so im thinking 1100-1200 all in. thats electrics insulation, boarded up inside skimmed plus a nice concrete base...i can then dump all my tools inside and lock the door till the next project!

Thank Post
    Post some pics when its done, good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I have a feeling that a bunch of edugeeks may not be the right people to ask for the answers.
    Im with you on that one. Not knowing what a brickie tool was I went and googled it. It just not right I tell you theres not a light on it or anywhere to plug a Cat5 cable or USB. Its all too strange good luck with the building project im going back to my Linux box.

12. Thanks to JJonas from:

elsiegee40 (30th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Im with you on that one. Not knowing what a brickie tool was I went and googled it. It just not right I tell you theres not a light on it or anywhere to plug a Cat5 cable or USB. Its all too strange good luck with the building project im going back to my Linux box.
    lol lol lol

Thank Post
    I'm not going to carry on arguing because it's pointless. But I don't see how it helps drawing analogies about clearing drains and so on, they're totally different things. (If you really want an analogy: you wouldn't assume that because you can ride a bike, you can drive a car without tuition, would you? and if you could let the clutch in and go places, that doesn't make you safe.)

If you're really intent on doing this, then I genuinely hope it goes well and you'll have something to look at and be proud of. But it's such a big undertaking I'm surprised you're not approaching it with a little less abandon. I'm pretty sure there are some building firms nearby who'd swap you a day of your labour carrying bricks for a day on site with you getting you started. You can get a long way without money if you put your mind to it (you could even see if you can manage to pay out nothing on the whole project, if you wanted a challenge, a la River Cottage).

Somebody else clearly agrees that you're being ambitious, because they've repped me.

powdarrmonkey (with a proper manly arr, donchaknow, and who isn't going to post any further).

15. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

ddcmp (30th June 2009)

Thank Post
    well duh, the whole point of me doing it apart from saving dosh is because i want a challenge, thats been the whole point of everything in my life...i have repped you as well as it seems repping makes you feel good il give you a thanks as well so you can sleep today adding to the various times you have been repped and thanked!

Thank Post
    .i have repped you as well as it seems repping makes you feel good il give you a thanks as well so you can sleep today adding to the various times you have been repped and thanked!
    Please don't.

18. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

ddcmp (30th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast