+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Selling on Ebay in General; I haven't sold or used Ebay for ages and now I remember why. I tried to sell a phone the ...
    Thank Post

Selling on Ebay

I haven't sold or used Ebay for ages and now I remember why. I tried to sell a phone the other day and the auction was going great untill the last minute when someone put in a last second bid with a brand new account, they then refused to respond or pay for the item so I've had to lodge a complaint which takes ages. It appears that they had done this on several other items as well, you wonder if they're selling the same items or hoped I would post it before receiving payment

How can this be avoided in future is there a way to not allow buyers below a certain number of good feedback or purchaces from bidding?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I seem to remember something about second chance auctions, where if the first bidder goes walkabout you can sell to the second bidder at their highest bid price. It's been a while though, you'd have to look it up.

Thank Post
    I Had this happen to me, I then got charged for putting my item on ebay even though i complained to ebay about him stealing another guys account then just putting bids in. So i just bid on one of his items he was "selling" and did the same. fool

Thank Post
    I looked into that and the second chance offer seems to be if you have more than one item.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I gave up selling phones on ebay as they always get targetted by scammers.

Ben

Thank Post
    Seem to remember a tick box saying that someone bidding had to have a minimum amount of feedback before being able to bid.

Thank Post
    I don't think so, but you should be able to track down the second highest bidder and contact them. If all else fails and they want it, set a time with them and relist it with the Buy Now price you have agreed. OK, you'll have to pay the fees again but at least you'll make a sale.

Thank Post
    In selling, under buyer requirements, you can select feedback levels for buyers, see attached picture.

Hope this helps!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Selling on Ebay-picture-1.png  

9. 2 Thanks to achedgy:

cookie_monster (30th June 2009), lionsl2005 (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Unfortunately when it comes to new accounts with zero feedback you're stuffed on the automatic front.

Best you can hope for is to be refreshing regularly and then reject their bid (as is your right) before the end of the auction... Very difficult with the snipers though.

I'd contact the winning bidder (the real one), explain the situation, that they have first refusal if they are prepared to wait roughly 2 weeks for the non-payment routine to complete... then go from there.

Non-payment requires you to lodge a non-payment complaint via the eBay system, wait the requisite 7 days for eBay to agree and then you can sell it as before.

Pain in the b*tt but it's eBay.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I am surprised Ebay haven't introduced an option where buyers must have at least 5 positive feedback before buying more expensive items. It would prevent this happening altogether.

What's Ebay's policy on paying for completed auctions? What I mean is do you get refunded x amount, as I believe you pay nothing now unless the item actually sells.

Thank Post
    Also helps to set must have a paypal account to bid

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I am surprised Ebay haven't introduced an option where buyers must have at least 5 positive feedback before buying more expensive items. It would prevent this happening altogether.
    There's a bit of logic to it unfortunately... If they limited what people could buy first time they'd lose many of the new customers that were legit which would in turn hurt their business model. I very much doubt they'd ever put that kind of limitation in, even if it is obviously being abused.

What's Ebay's policy on paying for completed auctions? What I mean is do you get refunded x amount, as I believe you pay nothing now unless the item actually sells.
    You are charged the final value fee but you can request a refund on that if the buyer doesn't pay by raising the appropriate ticket. Takes about 7 days but you also have to allow "reasonable" time for the buyer to respond and pay.

Re: the idea for a paypal account required.. that actually is a good idea and because you have to accept paypal now anyway you're not losing out anymore than you would have anyway.

Thank Post
    Well i relisted this item and it sold, I then received this from Paypal.

You've received a payment, detailed below. We've placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

eBay and PayPal are working together to make it safer than ever to buy on eBay. One of the boldest steps is to identify transactions that pose the greatest risk of fraud and holding the payments from sellers for a period of time to help ensure that the transactions go smoothly.

We'll release the payment for the eBay item if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
    It's been 21 days since the payment date and you haven't received a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction being held.

Additional hold period

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.
    So if I post this item to the person and they don't leave feedback I don't get my money, or if they dispute for some reason I have to wait to get it for ages.

Ebay seems to be a PITA these days, they seem to be having so many problems with idiots.

I listed it with a buy it now of £129 as this is nr what it sold for last time. Another idiot with a 0 account contacts me, "Will you take £100 and i'll fetch it and pay cash where are you" Errr no the asking price is £129 or make a bid.

Must be a dealer or someone dodgey, "i'd like to buy a phone but leave no trace i'll pay cash and I don't want it posting to me".
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 9th July 2009 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that if you sold something, you could tick a box and anyone with less than 5 would have to contact you.

This being ebay (e as in evil!!), you have to pay for the privilege though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread