+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School Libraries in new schools in General; It seems that some new Academies are being built without traditional libraries. Much as I love ICT , I do ...
    Thank Post

School Libraries in new schools

It seems that some new Academies are being built without traditional libraries.

Much as I love ICT, I do believe there is no substitute for books and other written materials in hard copy.

I'm interested in what other Edugeekers think about this trend?

Anyway if you feel like I do, there's a petition online.

Petition to: make school libraries statutory. | Number10.gov.uk

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our library disappeared about two years ago, and is now a teaching room. I don't know if this was the main reason though.

A lot of books were transferred to the English department where they have a sort of mini-library in the corner of a classroom; but it's not accessible to students in the same way the library used to be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    I know its a crime, and has been discussed on here before, but I find the Library is a dying thing, its used for its PCs and then thats about it, kids despite being shown and told that Wikipedia is not the answer to all they still go and use it for everything so you cannot win. They don't beleive in books as it takes effort to leave the nice comfy IT room and go walk to the Library to use a book that is dated 1999 (due to large cuts in library budget) so they don't see the point.

Thank Post
    Our library was refitted last year; it has a class set of computers, but all the books etc too. Hence, kids are taught how to refer to books alongside bashing something into Google.

We have two librarians who oversee bookings etc and ensure that the teachers don't simply use it as another IT room.

It's also "open access", kids can go in at break or lunch and work quietly or browse books.

Thank Post
    Our library is the local village one, so it's not going anywhere soon. That said nowadays people seem to use it as a state subsidised internet cafe rather than a library of books

Thank Post
    One day all the systems in the world are going to simultaneously blow up, and nobody will be able to fix them because Google will be offline (!)

R0M
    Thank Post
    I do find that computers are often quicker/easier for technical research, if not always accurate. But what about fiction?! I think itís especially important in Primary and High Schools and even universities must have some people studying English literature?

Thank Post
    We've got a library in our new academy...part IT suite too, but it's no different to the existing one.

We're not *quite* BSF though..similar thing, different setup. Library was always in the blueprints.

Thank Post
    Our library (now LRC) was completely refurbished during last summer, and is full of books and half a class of computers (17).

Not only that, but it's been extended so is a very nice working space for a class (or even 2). There is definately a need for libraries (not just for reading books)!

Thank Post
    Our library has ICT and books etc and is far from dying - it is a very lively place with huge amounts going on. We have an brilliantly pro-active manager who does so much stuff it's untrue.

I'd be really sad to see libraries go in schools. I think they have an really important role to play in getting kids reading for pleasure as well as academic study.

Thank Post
    We turned our library into an ICT suite.

But we'd built a new library first. The new library has 8 PCs, it is still predominantly a space for books.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 29th June 2009 at 11:31 AM.

stu
    Thank Post
    Not so much on the education front but i loved my school library as i keen reader and enjoy fiction books and if i didn't have access to the library at school i doubt i would have developed an interest in it at all. As a child i wasn't considering a book a worth while expense when sweets and games were on offer.

Thank Post
    Our Library is heavily used, but not just for the books - it is the only indoors place where students can do book-based work at lunchtime, and is the only place they're allowed after school, it is also used for small study/extraction groups who for whatever reason aren't doing the same as the rest of the class. The PCs are constantly in use, as are the big tables - not sure how often the books get used though; that said, I believe the fiction section is quite popular, and the Primary students have library lessons in which they have to take out fiction books (don't know if this practice extends into the Secondary or not).

I wouldn't want to see the library die, although a prune of some of the older/less relevant/not used books to free up space for some more PCs might not hurt.

Books do still have their place, and how else are children going to learn to read, but I don't think we should fight too hard against the move to find information online - instead we should educate users about the risks of trusting such data (exactly as History teachers do for validity of sources) and teach them how to search, i.e. selecting a few appropriate keywords not typing whole sentences into the search box, skim-reading the page summaries, looking at the page URL to see if it is a trustworthy source, etc etc.

Thank Post
    We have a library but no librarian because the school can't afford the "super learning manager" this year so the library is close

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    It's all down to cost and as LAs have public libraries dotted about the areas it does not seem feesable or cost effective to duplicate.
    New schools are taking to developing online libraries with integrated plugins which can read the books to you so aiding speech and language which is very helpful to the SEN team.
    I myself love reading books but as actual books take up space and cost lots of money to replacing as they become worn, most schools see it as a way of saving money and easing the burden of having to pay a librarian plus costs of books whereas they can drop this all on the IT team with a virtual library.
    The room full of computers can then double up as a teaching room.
    Also the students have access to this online library at all times 24/7.
    It is not to my liking but that is the way it is going.

16. 2 Thanks to bossman:

john (29th June 2009), webman (29th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast