+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, School Libraries in new schools in General; I wouldn't say libraries are disappearing, but they're certainly evolving. It isn't just books. Look at how the news is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I wouldn't say libraries are disappearing, but they're certainly evolving. It isn't just books. Look at how the news is evolving and how yesterday newspapers look and how expensive magazines are. I can't remember the last time I bought either of these.
    I also believe we're in a world where people want the latest information now and that's something a book, magazine or newspaper will never deliver. I suspect the way news is presented will change, just like Twitter in a way has evolved how news/information is distributed.

As for children learning to read, I still think a book is the best method. Those early stages are critical and I suppose it is possible some children may struggle to learn to read learning from a computer. The next 10 years or so will be interesting how the Government propose to tackle this. IT is a great and resourceful tool, but I don't think it's a replacement for the initial learning to read process.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I wouldn't say libraries are disappearing, but they're certainly evolving. It isn't just books. Look at how the news is evolving and how yesterday newspapers look and how expensive magazines are. I can't remember the last time I bought either of these.
    I also believe we're in a world where people want the latest information now and that's something a book, magazine or newspaper will never deliver. I suspect the way news is presented will change, just like Twitter in a way has evolved how news/information is distributed.
    Oh goodie! I can't wait until all our news is just unsubstantiated rumours desseminated by the new mass media.

It'd be nice if we could ensure the information was accurate, there've been far too many hoaxes recently through wikipedia for me to trust anything even remote attributed to it.

As for children learning to read, I still think a book is the best method. Those early stages are critical and I suppose it is possible some children may struggle to learn to read learning from a computer. The next 10 years or so will be interesting how the Government propose to tackle this. IT is a great and resourceful tool, but I don't think it's a replacement for the initial learning to read process.
    Nor the later process. I'm a big fan of technology, mostly, but I still pick a good book over any form of electronic entertainment. In fact my own personal library now contains more physical books than the last school I worked for.

It worries me that when people talk about going to a library now, they generally mean going to check wikipedia. Roll on the great system crash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its amazing isn't it. Kids (and some teachers) think IT\computers\Internet will replace written text and references, but look around most of our offices and you will see shelves of very, very thick volumes because we need that accurate info to hand. Shame they can't get that message across.

4. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

john (29th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Oh goodie! I can't wait until all our news is just unsubstantiated rumours desseminated by the new mass media.

It'd be nice if we could ensure the information was accurate, there've been far too many hoaxes recently through wikipedia for me to trust anything even remote attributed to it.
    Hold on - just because the information is being received from The Cloud somewhere rather than a printed paper in the shop doesn't mean the information is inaccurate. The content on thetimes.co.uk is still from The Times, and no doubt goes through the same validity checks as anything in their printed media. It is just not true that Internet-based information is unreliable; it CAN be unreliable, but so long as it comes from a reputable source, it is fine.

I think that newspapers joining Twitter or similar could be an interesting step forward - headlines get pushed out to The Masses who can click links back to the full stories if they wish, much like BBC's old news ticker if you remember that.

6. Thanks to enjay from:

bossman (29th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget the slim, pocket-sized versions of the larger books as well - for when you just need to quickly check that VBScript keyword and don't feel like spending twenty minutes trawling through google tracking down a useful reference.

Books are just plain better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

I agree it is a problem, but I don't believe there's any easy answer for this. Even Google thought the excessive traffic relating to Michael Jackson was an attack on their network. It was only until other news agencies were presenting the breaking news did they realise.

The point I'm trying to make, is the likes of Google can't really tell legitimate high traffic from an attack on their network and likewise Twitter is open to users spreading rumours about whatever they choose. I suspect eventually most news agencies will cut a deal with Twitter or probably create a competing service themselves which users then subscribe to. The legitimacy of news or information is extremely important and people will quickly move on otherwise.

This is why (at the moment) Twitter in my eyes is still worthless as it needs either a buyer or someone with much better ideas to make it into a profitable business. What Twitter has at the moment is OK; freedom of expression, but then again people can do this on bloggs as it is already.

Thank Post
    Hello,

I believe that "Library's" should exist. This is where the kids can learn in their own way and at their own ability.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I think that newspapers joining Twitter or similar could be an interesting step forward - headlines get pushed out to The Masses who can click links back to the full stories if they wish, much like BBC's old news ticker if you remember that.
    I'm not sure I'd want to cite newspapers as a reliable source on most things

Thank Post
    Yeah, at our School we have a couple "Sony E-readers".

Thank Post
    Interestingly while studying Computer Science at uni we were always taught that the library was one of our core resources for books, technical papers and access to journals. Surprisingly just because we had a subscription to a journal didn't mean we could access it online.

In my last year or two, and particularly in my masters year the library was indispensible. If I hadn't been taught how to use a library while at secondary I doubt I would have been able to effectively use the library in later life.

I have to say that it's very sad to see some schools axing their libraries in new builds, and I'm very glad that the library here is a core part of the school. It's very integrated into teaching and learning in a variety of subjects and having been refurbished in the last few years is also a great place to be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @Soulfish:

How many of these technical books were up to date?
    Every time I need to reference technical data it seems that the books in the library are sometimes up to 30 years out of date.
    Referencing something that has been superceded by electronic data which is bang up to date in most cases.

I like reading books but as I have already said Government do not seem to be interested because of the costs involved. They want a one stop shop for all data it seems and they want to control it.

14. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (29th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Soulfish:

How many of these technical books were up to date?
    Every time I need to reference technical data it seems that the books in the library are sometimes up to 30 years out of date.
    Referencing something that has been superceded by electronic data which is bang up to date in most cases.

I like reading books but as I have already said Government do not seem to be interested because of the costs involved. They want a one stop shop for all data it seems and they want to control it.
    Being a computer science degree there wasn't a great deal of "technical" reference books involved - mainly a large amount of theory that largely stays the same.

The journals and research papers however were very upto date, being the forefronts of their respective fields. The library does need to evolve however. Most university libraries also now manage the SSO for the various journal and technical websites that you need access to either through Athens or some other system. Without both the online access to resources and the library its self I'd have been lost

It was always good to do a initial spate of research online, and then track down some much more indepth resources in the library.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @Soulfish:

I totally agree, couldn't have put it better myself.

Thank Post
    Some really interesting thoughts here, thanks to all .

As well as agreeing with all the supporting arguments from you guys,
    I do think there's a whole new move in graphic novels for young people that can be really constructive in getting them engaged in learning.

Books like the Manga Shakespeare editions and Bryan Talbot's Alice In Sunderand are fantastic examples of text and images together, that work splendidly on paper, and I think they would lose a lot if only available on a screen.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12