+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My First Car in General; Originally Posted by chrbb Does it have a warrenty? Was it used daily before you bought it? Have you let ...
    stu
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Does it have a warrenty?
    Was it used daily before you bought it?
    Have you let the petrol run right down?
    My son's fiesta had similar symptoms, he'd run the car on empty and dirt from the fuel tank clogged up the filter, my husband was on constant call out to rescue him by cleaning out the filter for about a month. (Then it got stolen and torched, so the problem ended )
    Was that the same day your husband came home covered in soot with huge grin on his face and no eyebrows?

Thank Post
    When you started it to wind down the windows did you only have the engine running for a few seconds? As if I do that with my car I have terrible problems starting it next time because the engine gets flooded with too much fuel (I think - I'm not great with cars)

So I always make sure I leave it running for a few minutes that way I have no problems! Could it be something like this?

Thank Post
    If I can find it, I have a Haynes manual for that model of Civic lurking somewhere. I had the same 1.4/1996/P and it was a lovely car till someone drove a Mercedes into the side of it and wrote it off... Would be happy to send it in your direction if it turns up.

4. Thanks to OutToLunch from:

mac_shinobi (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Does it have a warrenty?
    Was it used daily before you bought it?
    Have you let the petrol run right down?
    My son's fiesta had similar symptoms, he'd run the car on empty and dirt from the fuel tank clogged up the filter, my husband was on constant call out to rescue him by cleaning out the filter for about a month. (Then it got stolen and torched, so the problem ended )
    I havent had a chance to run the fuel down because it stopped working when it got to 1/4 of a tank and dont really want to pay for more fuel when it wont even start / turn over

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    If I can find it, I have a Haynes manual for that model of Civic lurking somewhere. I had the same 1.4/1996/P and it was a lovely car till someone drove a Mercedes into the side of it and wrote it off... Would be happy to send it in your direction if it turns up.

Cheers that would be a great help !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyhacker View Post
    When you started it to wind down the windows did you only have the engine running for a few seconds? As if I do that with my car I have terrible problems starting it next time because the engine gets flooded with too much fuel (I think - I'm not great with cars)

So I always make sure I leave it running for a few minutes that way I have no problems! Could it be something like this?
    I didnt turn the engine on to wind the windows up / down - Just enough to make the lights light up in the dash etc and the same to wind them back down again.

I did wait a few minutes before trying in between each time but thanks for the tip

Thank Post
    I used to have a car that did that! I had the spark plugs changed - about 20, and put more oil in. Worked a treat!!

Have you had the car serviced recently? Maybe it needs an oil/filter change?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    I used to have a car that did that! I had the spark plugs changed - about 20, and put more oil in. Worked a treat!!

Have you had the car serviced recently? Maybe it needs an oil/filter change?
    It just had its MOT done recently before purchasing ( 12 months MOT ) and about 10 months tax.

Not sure if that counts for anything

Thank Post
    MOT is for the bigger things - like chassis, brakes, tyres etc..

You should have a service done yearly, they will change the oil/filter, spark plugs, clean up the engine etc.. Will generally make you car run nicer.

Did the car come with a service history? Do you know the last time a full service, A/A was done?

11. Thanks to Mandy from:

mac_shinobi (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post

You should have a service done yearly, they will change the oil/filter, spark plugs, clean up the engine etc.. Will generally make you car run nicer.

Did the car come with a service history? Do you know the last time a full service, A/A was done?
    paper work is at home so will check that out when I get home this eve but a service sounds like a good idea - hopefully not too expensive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Was that the same day your husband came home covered in soot with huge grin on his face and no eyebrows?

TBH we were quite impressed with the thieves, not only did they get it started but abandoned it in a nearby town that's at the top of a hill, the car struggled to go up a gentle incline without going into first gear!

Ask round friends and family for recommendations of local small garage, if you've little or no experience with car engines you'll need a garage!
    Last edited by chrbb; 3rd July 2009 at 10:45 AM.

Thank Post

I have to disagree..MOT doesn't cover the brakes..efficiency yes, condition no. You could have deathtrap brakes with shot to hell pads, yet if it stops for the MOT, you're fine.

Chassis too - they can't move bodykits etc...you could quite feasibly have rotten sills and severe structural issues, but if they're covered at MOT time, the tester can't move the bits to see, so he'll pass it.

I've had a car pass MOT and 4 minutes later put me into a skid towards an oncoming lorry due to total brake failure and pad disintegration...that's when I went and had a nice chat to the tester and found out that the MOT is, in his words "not as great as people think".

You don't even need a speedo for MOT..

Thank Post
    TBH we were quite impressed with the thieves, not only did they get it started but abandoned it in a nearby town that's at the top of a hill, the car struggled to go up a gentle incline without going into first gear!

Ask round friends and family for recommendations of local small garage, if you've little or no experience with car engines you'll need a garage!
    Looks like it will be the garage at this rate lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    paper work is at home so will check that out when I get home this eve but a service sounds like a good idea - hopefully not too expensive
    I have my car serviced every year with the MOT. Got a local chap within walking distance (almost a shame I have to start the engine to get the car there). AFAIR it costs me about 120 for a full service, and he gives a reasonable discount if the MOT is done at the same time

Only 2 advisories this time. It's going in tomorrow to get the alternator belt changed (20) as apparently it had 'started cracking'.

Find a good local mechanic and get the car serviced annually. My experience of Jap cars is if you do that they'll last (almost) forever.

Thank Post
    Or you can be adventurous in finding out what's wrong.

Requires two people, and some tools.

Take engine cover off and remove HT leads off one spark plug, remove the spark plug, you may need an extension bar and ratchet driver depending how far down the plugs go. Once the plugs out, plug the HT lead in again, rest it against something metal, (lie it on top of the engine) and get your mate/brother/father/mother, whomever to start the car. (DO NOT hold the HT lead) Check its sparking, simple turnover should suffice.

Check all the plugs this way, if one isn't sparking its either the Plug or HT lead, diagnose further, swap the plugs around check its the plug and not HT lead, if another plug works, its the plug, if it doesnt spark its either HT lead or coilpack.

Then swap HT leads around and check every terminal is firing, if plug wasnt sparking and HT lead swapped around to a working one and it doesn't spark, than you've got problems with coil pack, easily replaced, could do it yourself.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast