+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Online Marking in General; Hi My head of IT has asked me to post on here, as he would like to find out what ...
    Thank Post

Online Marking

Hi

My head of IT has asked me to post on here, as he would like to find out what anyone else is using for marking pupils work.

He and another member of staff have tablet pcs and they use annotate on word for scrawling comments on kids work to email back to them before they print out final copies.

Another couple of tecahers like the idea of JING which is screen capture software which you can record your voice onto and then it converts it inot a SWF file.

WOuld like to know what anyone else is using, preferably free :-)

Thanks in advance

Stu

Thank Post
    Do you not have a VLE? We use ours extensively for marking online.

Thank Post
    Turnitin, the plagiarism detection software, also has an online marking feature, called GradeMark.

Thank Post
    How about the "comments" feature of MS Word? That's what our IT teachers do for coursework etc.

Thank Post
    Our teachers generally print them out and write on them by hand!

Those who do "online" marking use the Comments within Word; there have been casual attempts at using graphics tablets and the Smartboard software, but the fiddliness of this saw to its demise.

One teacher has set up his own VLE-of-sorts for his subject which is running Moodle, I believe, so uses the assessment modules within that.

Thank Post
    We use realsmart - the real learning suite here and the students upload their work to realsmart and the teacher logs in and leaves comments online. This is currently been used in all vocational subjects currently but we will be rolling it out further across the school in the next few months.

Thank Post
    Possibly being thick, but I'm missing what Realsmart offers me for my 3k/year that a site such as wikispace can't give me for free...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Possibly being thick, but I'm missing what Realsmart offers me for my 3k/year that a site such as wikispace can't give me for free...
    Probably not a lot. Its a tool we have been using for a number of years and we don't pay the 3k as an ongoing customer.

Staff and students like it for feeding back information on uploaded coursework, it acts as an electronic Portfolio, Assessment for learning is built in so students can feedback on how they think the work went - smiley face / sad face etc. Basically it ticks all the right things as it uses all the "buzz words".

Thats not me slagging the product off as I actually think its a good tool also.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Its a tool we have been using for a number of years and we don't pay the 3k as an ongoing customer.
    Ah, that 3k is a one-off payment is it? I had assumed it was an annual cost. In that case, it is a bit more appealing (although it is still 3k more than wikispaces costs).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Ah, that 3k is a one-off payment is it? I had assumed it was an annual cost. In that case, it is a bit more appealing (although it is still 3k more than wikispaces costs).
    No, it is an annual cost. But I think the 3k is either part of a new pricing structure or first years payment. It may be cheaper after year one.

Thank Post

eMarking Assistant tool for saving time when marking electronic assignments

Quote Originally Posted by triggmiester View Post
    Hi
    My head of IT has asked me to post on here, as he would like to find out what anyone else is using for marking pupils work....WOuld like to know what anyone else is using, preferably free :-) ...
    I've been marking assignments online since last century and quickly worked out that Word's revision tracking, and comments and autotext were a good first step to saving time when using reusable comment banks. But it is not easy to move the comment banks to another computer and some people find using autotext (Word 2003)or quickparts (Word 2007) to be too big a hurdle.

I ended up creating an addin called eMarking Assistant which works using floating toolbars in Word 2003 or 2007. It allows teachers to use predefined comments which can contain text, links, images and audio and or enter new comments (including audio) and save them for reuse. Below is a screen movie with section headings and explanatory text.
    http://www.baker-evans.com/emarking-.../movies/using/

A 30 day trial is available for download and site site licenses are available.

I also surveyed the other online marking tools that are available and a list with their promotional materials is available at http://www.baker-evans.com/community...iew.php?id=306

Feel free to add other tools to the list.

Peter Evans

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evanspj View Post
    Some Text
    Peter you relize your not supposed to be advertising your own product on edugeek without being an advertiser?

I'd say this was a helpful link for someone BUT you all your 5 posts have been advertising your product in some shape and form.

Thank Post

Mossj ... thanks for the advice

Peter Evans

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread