+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, It's oh so quiet! (End of Term) in General; Here in Northern Ireland our schools are finishing up in the next few days.... but here amongst all the excitement ...

Thank Post

It's oh so quiet! (End of Term)

Here in Northern Ireland our schools are finishing up in the next few days.... but here amongst all the excitement it's all nice & quiet.... why I hear you ask?

Because although it's the end of term, rooms have to be vacated for new build, teachers spending all day packing etc.... we have very few DVDs being shown / music being played throughout the school. Yes, as part of our packing we had to remove most of the speakers, and data projectors from around the school.

I could have been much more evil though - my colleague suggested de-allocating Win DVD etc from the workstations to stop having to go look at DVD drives etc! Didn't go down that route though!

Thank Post
    Give it a few weeks, we'll be there too. IT Tech are already packed and ready to move as soon as the new offices are secured, desked and phoned. Other departments are still skipping things. All of our stores are empty, all of our kit is on rundown and set for reimaging with generic XP, all our boards and kit is being labelled up for the new "owners", and all of our critical services have been virtualised ready for "drop and run" on our spanky new ESXi servers.

We're just marking time here now. We've been over to the new site..the satellite cabs are in, core switches are in, firebox is in, door codepads and maglocks are in and running on the office and server room...even the office aircon looks like it's a runner.

It's going to be ever so odd after 9 years to be turning out the lights for the last time ever, and walking out of the office and through empty deserted rooms, never to return.

After that, it'll be the demolition ball.

Thank Post
    Lucky lucky!!!! Running round like a blue a** fly here!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Lucky lucky!!!! Running round like a blue a** fly here!

Butuz
    Agreed with that! Bloody chaos here and it all gets better from next week as I come "off timetable" as it were and start work with my tech on the summer holiday major projects early to give us a chance of being ready for September. Sooo much to do and sooo little time

Thank Post
    Bleh - ballistically busy here too... I have the duty of also being the soundtech - got an event more or less every day thru-out July... on top of normal duties. Yay overtime... boo exhaustion...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, been really busy here as well!

Kids has sports day today haha! so no staff or students in school through-out the day so we took out a fitted cupboard to make room for another desk in our main office, in an attempt to get me out of the server room hehe

only 3 weeks to go and then we have 6 weeks of quiet time! and thats when the fun begins

James.

Thank Post
    One primary school knew that they were getting totally rewired so they've had a few weeks to box absolutely everything up. I ghasped in horror when I saw the head teacher cramming 17" flat screens into boxes, I just know there are going to be a few cracked ones when they are unboxed.

Another primary school found out on Wednesday night (today, Friday, is the last school day) that they are being rewired too so you can imagine the panic there.

My office is getting new windows so I will be packing up the important things (fridge, PC and comfy chair) to take to a classroom for the time it takes them to finish in my office.

It's starting to get busy for us, 300+ new pc's to be installed in six high schools will keep us going for a couple of weeks. Loads of other jobs I've been putting off until the holidays too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Yeah, been really busy here as well!

Kids has sports day today haha! so no staff or students in school through-out the day so we took out a fitted cupboard to make room for another desk in our main office, in an attempt to get me out of the server room hehe

only 3 weeks to go and then we have 6 weeks of quiet time! and thats when the fun begins

James.
    Do you only have desks around the edges? I've seen plenty of shared staff rooms where they complain about desk space where they have large areas in the centre of the room empty where you could easily have a desk or two.

Thank Post
    WOOT!! They all go today!!

Quite a bit to do over the next few weeks, but nothing major. WEEE disposal, a few screens to put up, some audio&video wiring for the Biologists, a spot of PAT in the theatre...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Do you only have desks around the edges? I've seen plenty of shared staff rooms where they complain about desk space where they have large areas in the centre of the room empty where you could easily have a desk or two.
    All of our team used to be in the Comms room with all the servers and that is not very big, so they moved 3 members of the team into an office to get us out of their. as i was fairly new i stayed behind in the server room. But as i am still here a year later they thought it was best they got me out of the comms room as i just cant deal with the noise anymore it's annoying! as you can imagine.

In our main office, it was very cramped with only 3 staff no where for another desk to do so we knocked out a cupboard which gave us just enough room to fit another desk in we do a small middle space but that ends up getting filled with computers and what not!

I'll have to get some pictures you will find it pretty Shocking! lol

as it was a built in cupboard, when we took that out we had loads of holes etc! because they cant afford/have no time to plaster it we have had to use thin mdf up agaist the wall and only 1 yes 1 nail is holding it all in place

James.

Thank Post
    ah, been there. This office was next to the teaching one originally, so we sledgehammered the wall and cut a doorway. Old BT kit all over the place for our old dead Meridian system, so we chopped the wires, chucked them into the cavity and plastered it ourselves.

Wasn't as dead as all that, as it turned out..we cut off the training centre! BT came to see..walked into the office.."there used to be a junction box here.."..

Cue whistling and denials..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread