+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Michael Jackson dead in General; Originally Posted by Andrew_C Talented musician? Yep. Wierdo? For sure. Worthy of worldwide grief? Nah, not so much. He's dead, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Talented musician? Yep. Wierdo? For sure. Worthy of worldwide grief? Nah, not so much.

He's dead, just get over it!
    Disagree with that, I listened to him (pretty much on repeat) as a child and its right that people want to pay their respects.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Disagree with that, I listened to him (pretty much on repeat) as a child and its right that people want to pay their respects.
    Same here, I grew up with Bad and loved his music, still do
    Today should be remembering his music and the talent that he had - all the rest should be put to one side for now..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talented musician? Yep. Wierdo? For sure. Worthy of worldwide grief? Nah, not so much.

He's dead, just get over it!
    Sure he was weird - so are a huge number of famous people throughout history.

The guy influenced an entire generation of people with his music. Just look at how many artists dance in music videos, or the style of vocals in many. The guy had multiple Guinness World Records, 13 Grammy awards, 13 No 1's etc...

He is worthy of worldwide grief, simply because he was popular worldwide, just like the Beatles.

stu
    Thank Post
    If the guy hadn't had all the scandal in recent years and done all the messed up stuff to himself this would have just been shrugged off like the next washed out celebrity, I condone that a loss of life is terrible thing but to 90% of people he has been a walking joke for years. this isn't a personal dislike for the guy he has some good songs and he was talented but he was far from exceptional. when I heard he news it was a quick 'hmm shame (with regards to the death) then that was it now there posts going on every forum about how great he was it way ott.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    He is worthy of worldwide grief, simply because he was popular worldwide, just like the Beatles.
    I don't remember the bit in the Beatles history where they had to pay off alleged victims of child abuse though!

6. 6 Thanks to jcollings:

DaveJ2717uk (26th June 2009), ICT_GUY (26th June 2009), kevbaz (26th June 2009), matt40k (26th June 2009), MikeW (26th June 2009), tech_guy (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Please don't get me wrong; for his friends and family, it is a personal tragedy just like anyone loosing a loved one. But PUHLEASE lets not have another world wide weeping and wailing like when the royal clothes horse died.

And comparing him to the Beatles?

8. 4 Thanks to Andrew_C:

matt40k (26th June 2009), nawbus (26th June 2009), Netman (26th June 2009), tech_guy (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I'm sad that his life has been cut short, but part of me is thinking "at least he can be left alone now". He was thrust into the spotlight since when he was tiny by his father and was never allowed to get away from it. By the time he was an adult, he wouldn't have known what to do without a camera thrust in his face.

Fantastic music, but a tragic life... a damning indictment of pushy parenting I was looking forward to going to the concert... and wondered if it would actually happen, but not for this reason.

I agree with earlier posts. People are bound to be saddened, but there is no need to go into "Princess Diana tragedy" mode!

10. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

mark (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I don't think you can really just say he had a few good songs. He has influenced music for 30 years in form or another and while I'm not suicidal like some of the people on the BBC News videos I am quite sad that he is gone, I grew up on his music, Bad, Dangerous and Thriller are three of my favourite albums. It is probably a good thing that he has passed before the o2 shows and before anything else could have happened in his life. This way the live act that he was won't be potentially tarnished by new gigs that wouldn't have lived up to his history.

Had he disappeared for the last 10/15 years I think the public reaction would be as it is now because he was an icon of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

While some of you might not like him as a person or believe he is worthy of grief due to his death, I don't think you have the right to tell other people not to. You're welcome to your opinion but don't tell others they shouldn't have theirs.

Edit: However I would agree with the no Diana type mourning stuff.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    I don't remember the bit in the Beatles history where they had to pay off alleged victims of child abuse though!
    No, they just caused riots in the Philippines, had Lennon state that they were bigger than Jesus - both huge things in their day.

Thank Post
    Please don't get me wrong; for his friends and family, it is a personal tragedy just like anyone loosing a loved one. But PUHLEASE lets not have another world wide weeping and wailing like when the royal clothes horse died.

And comparing him to the Beatles?
    So the guy who has the biggest selling album of all time and also has sold over 750 million albums worldwide? I would say thats pretty big.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    He was aquitted of one. Obviously still proven guilty in your eyes though.

Thank Post
    I have never been sure about the accusations against Jackson, I can see why it could be true, various other famous people have done similar. At the same time it is very easy for people to accuse someone in the hopes of a payout and I'm sure we all know how easy it is for an accusation of that nature to go from nothing to being 'true'.

Sadly I don't think we will every know for sure...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    He was aquitted of one. Obviously still proven guilty in your eyes though.
    So was OJ.

Both obviously not guilty of anything, oh wait...

Thank Post
    The Beatles were s*** and over rated, Jacko was a musical legend. I can't comment on him as a person as I didn't know him, and I won't go believing everything the papers say.

For all you people saying "he's dead, stop whining" - how's about you get over yourself. Is it really (I mean really) affecting you if people want to display their love for his music at this time?

18. 5 Thanks to Hightower:

ButterflyMoon (26th June 2009), DrCheese (26th June 2009), Gatt (26th June 2009), Jamo (26th June 2009), localzuk (26th June 2009)

stu
    Thank Post
    No but cant it be in one consolidated place like his fan site and house (for mail) rather than on every other forum.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast