+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, app virtualization where is that thread. in General; Other month I am sure there was a thread started about some opensource software that does app virtualization but can ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

app virtualization where is that thread.

Other month I am sure there was a thread started about some opensource software that does app virtualization but can I found it or did I dream it..

Russ

Thank Post
    App-V ... is this it?

UK spelling of virtualisation with an "s" did the trick

3. Thanks to CyberDrac from:

russdev (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sure it was free...

App-V is the Microsoft one..

coquet636
    I posted this

Ulteo Open Virtual DesktopUlteo Open Virtual Desktop

it was easy to setup and have played with it a bit but not yet tried the windows apps.

6. 2 Thanks to coquet636:

russdev (24th June 2009), Zoom7000 (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats what I was thinking off..

cheers

Russ

Thank Post
    Comes on the coverdisk of the latest Linux Format too for those that don't like downloading stuff

coquet636

Ulteo 2.0

ulteo 2 is out everyone and its easier to setup and works alot better...

fully recommend a look.. now we have linux working going to try adding windows apps...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was reading (alright skimming through) the website this morning. Did I miss someehing or is this app presentation aka Citrix/Terminal Services, and not App Virtualisation aka App-V/Thinstall?

Looked interesting, re running virtual desktops. But I was abit concerned about the speed of VDI through a web browser/java interface.

@Coquet636 - have you got it running live? How fast is it compared to VMWare View, Citrix or Terminal Server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I was reading (alright skimming through) the website this morning. Did I miss someehing or is this app presentation aka Citrix/Terminal Services, and not App Virtualisation aka App-V/Thinstall?

Looked interesting, re running virtual desktops. But I was abit concerned about the speed of VDI through a web browser/java interface.

@Coquet636 - have you got it running live? How fast is it compared to VMWare View, Citrix or Terminal Server?
    Indeed it seems to be some sort of VDI manager rather than virtualised applications. We use app-v (for a small cost) with our existing software assurance from the schools agreement. MS don't really want to sell it to people for some reason.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    We use app-v (for a small cost) with our existing software assurance from the schools agreement. MS don't really want to sell it to people for some reason.
    Yeah! It's a shame. I want to do app virtualisation so bad but I can't find any half way affordable method of doing it. I dont have a schools agreement btw.

coquet636

Hi tmcd35

It does app virtualisation and desktop . So you can have it as a desktop which is what were testing now, or you can have it in portal mode which is just the app..

It aint too slow to be honest, and runs quicker in firefox than IE, not as quick as citrix but is by no means slow.....

Just setting some more of the features like settign home directories and the like so will have more info next week..

Thank Post
    Yeah! It's a shame. I want to do app virtualisation so bad but I can't find any half way affordable method of doing it. I dont have a schools agreement btw.
    You can get it without an agreement, but do need active software assurance on the windows license to buy it.

15. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

tmcd35 (27th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Hi tmcd35

It does app virtualisation and desktop . So you can have it as a desktop which is what were testing now, or you can have it in portal mode which is just the app..

It aint too slow to be honest, and runs quicker in firefox than IE, not as quick as citrix but is by no means slow.....

Just setting some more of the features like settign home directories and the like so will have more info next week..
    App-V (and others) run the application in a protected environment on the local machine, the server is only for distribution and packaging.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You can get it without an agreement, but do need active software assurance on the windows license to buy it.
    I think I looked into this before. Still quit pricey if I remember, though cheaper than Thinstall (or whatever VMWare call it these days). If I remember rightly you need to buy a licence for each machine you want the packages to run from.

Yeah, this product is just a open source version of Citrix/TS - an application presentor. I want a open source application virtualiser.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Hi tmcd35

Just briefly skimming their website, it mentions that it requires TS for windows apps? So i cant 'package' a virtual windows app plonk it on the linux virtual app server and then have a shortcut placed on a users desktop that opens up virtual word? for example... Im not interested in the Virtual desktop aspect of it..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread