+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, To iPod or not to iPod that is the question in General; Right my old faith 4Gb first generation iPod Nano has died so I'm in the market for a replacement but ...
    richard_s

To iPod or not to iPod that is the question

Right my old faith 4Gb first generation iPod Nano has died so I'm in the market for a replacement but I'm unsure whether to get another ipod or go for something different this time as I'm getting a bit fed up with iTunes and its bloated and sluggish behaviour. So I was wondering what are your recommendations for an MP3 player that has a 4 - 8Gb capacity and ideally charges from USB.

stu
    Thank Post
    I found zens to be quite reliable currently have a zen micro photo which due to being dropped out of pocket whilst i was cycling now wont charge but up until that point was amazing, bit bulky by modern standards but there are newer slimmer ones now

Thank Post
    I have switched to using my phone (Touch HD) for an MP3 player as its always with me and doesn't require me to fill my pockets with other rubbish!

Personally I can't stand iPods, with their annoying connectors to the fact that they are made by crApple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    another ipod and Yet another iPod manager - Home

there are other open source replacements for iTunes ( cant remember what they are called though but a google should help you out there )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends what you need it for. If you just want to play music (which I'm guessing you do with a nano) you can pick up a decent MP3 player for about £20 from Tescos which'll do.

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post

there are other open source replacements for iTunes ( cant remember what they are called though but a google should help you out there )
    I have looked at various open source replacements in the past but I have already tended to have problems with them as my music collection is pretty big, some 50 Gb's and still growing, and they tend to sulk a bit with that amount of music.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb
    Depends what you need it for. If you just want to play music (which I'm guessing you do with a nano) you can pick up a decent MP3 player for about £20 from Tescos which'll do.
    I have thought of a cheap and cheeful one but a lot of them do not support multiple playlists which is the only feature I really need.

Thank Post
    I think you need to look at why you purchased the iPod in the first place. If these reasons still stand then maybe look at alternatives that give you the same plus points.

Myself i liked the fact that i could have a 60GB drive with me that stored a backup of my photos and also my music and ultimately could be placed into disk mode and store all of my applications needed to do my job. I use iTunes on a mac so not really sure if the same iTunes bloat is apparent on that platform as i haven't used the Windows version.

My iPod died, but since i already had the iPhone 3G i had some of the points i mentioned already (photos backup, music backup) but the one thing it lacked was disk mode. So i purchased an external drive instead. The only thing i miss is being able to connect the iPod to the car radio. I need to get an FM transmitter.

richard_s
    The iPod was a present from a now ex as I didn't have an MP3 player at the time and they thought it would be good for me on the journey to work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depending on your budget (and whether you're looking for a phone as well) I might recommend the Nokia N85. Excellent MP3 functionality, and a built in FM transmitter which comes across loud and clear on my car radio without any need to mess around with cables.

On the other hand that might be a bit much if you're just looking for an MP3 player. Apparently the Creative Mozaic ZEN 8GB is good, and can be found for sub-£50.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    I have looked at various open source replacements in the past but I have already tended to have problems with them as my music collection is pretty big, some 50 Gb's and still growing, and they tend to sulk a bit with that amount of music.
    Not sure what operating system you use but I do admit iTunes on windows is rubbish - much much better on OS X with a journalled filing system.

My iTunes library is about 50 gigs give or take a bit.

Thank Post
    Songbird was one I remember for being iPod compatible. Not sure how far its got as I only used to it play tracks from someone elses iPod.

iTunes has only one good thing, and that is the store. Which my awesome acoustic band is on .... /End Plug.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MediaMonkey's my favourite by far.

13. Thanks to jamesb from:

mac_shinobi (24th June 2009)

richard_s
    Not sure what operating system you use but I do admit iTunes on windows is rubbish - much much better on OS X with a journalled filing system.

My iTunes library is about 50 gigs give or take a bit.
    I'm running iTunes on Windows though I have to say when I have used it on OS X in the dim and distant past it always seemed more responsive.

Thank Post
    I use my phone, since that's always with me. It is a bit too bulky for the gym though, so I bought a 2GB Sansa Clip for about £25 for that - it holds enough "gym music" to get me by. For larger day-to-day use, the Wife has just bought a Sansa Fuze which comes in various sizes up to 8GB and has an SDHC slot so you can expand to your heart's content (note - it is actually cheaper to buy a 4GB and a card than a bigger player though!).

I have also just bought an FM transmitter, so our MP3 players/laptops can play through the main stereo - so that's Spotify on a decent sound system. Nice. Also useful in the car.

Thank Post
    MediaMonkey's - this was the one I was thinking of.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast