+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, An annoying car problem... in General; ok someone nicked my car aerial from my mk5 astra back in december last year...so i duly bought a new ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

An annoying car problem...

ok someone nicked my car aerial from my mk5 astra back in december last year...so i duly bought a new one that had a special screw to stop them nicking it again...I asked my other half to fit it for me and he snapped the screw that fits the aerial to the car, so I'm left with half a screw stuck in the aerial base (yes I know that was 6 months ago but I'm finally fed up with not being able to listen to the radio now...there's only so many times you can listen to the same cd on a 3 hour journey!)

so any suggestions from you bright sparks on how I can get this half a screw out? my dad's had a go trying to make a new 'screw head' but that didn't work and the helpful bloke from halfords said i basically need a complete new aerial, not just the sticky up bit...

i've been googling but not found much, have however found glass mounted aerials which might be the route i have to go down although it will still involve doing things with the trim...hmm

help!

Thanks,
    Amy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thanks for that however the screw is kinda sunk in (i.e. its flush with the top of the aerial base) so not sure if they would work?

Thank Post
    drill it out, and re-tap the hole maybe

Thank Post
    At a guess it is a small screw? Big screws/bolts are easier, you would use a screw extractor which is like a reverse threaded screw that you insert into a hole drilled into the stuck one. As the extractor tightens it unscrew the stuck bit.

You might be able to get very small ones, but I'd guess that it would be easier to replace the mechanism. Thought of a scrap yard? There are several on-line (as you don't seem to be able to grovel around old cars any more), I've bought a few bits here and there with no problems.

Thank Post
    Brace yourself but it sounds like it might be easier to just change the aerial

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    great thanks for that, i'll go google screw extractor in a minute. I'm kinda steeling myself for replacing it (might be penance for the boyfriend for breaking the first screw in the first place lol). will have a look for breakers online (have bought parts from car breakers online before on an older car and it was fine). just not looking forward to taking the headlining out and all of the trim etc..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    have just found this JML Screw Extractor from JML Direct and think it might work?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    or screwfix have a cheaper set which look a bit better Screw Extractor Set - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys now i'm not sure which one?

Thank Post
    The Screwfix type were the ones I'd meant, but you might find that they are just too big. I'd not seen the JML one, but may invest as it could solve some problems I come across too often!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    will see what boyfriend and dad think before purchasing, i think the jml ones might be better as could 'put' a screw head so to speak as already got the beginnings of one courtesy of my dad. hmm wonder if wickes do them as could go and have a look at the ones that screwfix do before purchasing to make sure the smallest one will fit in.

Thank Post
    Two ideas -

1. you could try a very small grinder attachment in something like a Dremel to cut a small slot in the top of the bolt and then use a screwdriver to remove it. Perhaps ask the DT department if you're in a school?

2. I see you are local to me - if your looking at the idea of getting a replacement 'aerial base' from a scrapyard, try Harris's in Nutbourne (along the A259 between Emsworth and Chichester). I've not been there for a few years, but they used to be very good, and you could still go and rummage around the cars to find what you were looking for. Got lots of bits to smarten up my old Renault 19 for a very reasonable price - although that was about 5 years ago now.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    at dad's suggestion i've just been out and measured it and he's going to check out the jml ones in wilkinsons for me as its 4mm so don't think the screwfix ones will do it unfortunately

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Two ideas -

1. you could try a very small grinder attachment in something like a Dremel to cut a small slot in the top of the bolt and then use a screwdriver to remove it. Perhaps ask the DT department if you're in a school?

2. I see you are local to me - if your looking at the idea of getting a replacement 'aerial base' from a scrapyard, try Harris's in Nutbourne (along the A259 between Emsworth and Chichester). I've not been there for a few years, but they used to be very good, and you could still go and rummage around the cars to find what you were looking for. Got lots of bits to smarten up my old Renault 19 for a very reasonable price - although that was about 5 years ago now.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    1 we've already tried no 1 to cut a small slot in top, didn't work v well
    and
    2 i think you're the 3rd, possibly 4th person to recommend harris's in Nutbourne (one of my technicians at college recommends them as well, he's always down there getting bits for his car lol). if we can't get the half screw out this weekend then i think it will be a replacement job and will have to wait for boyfriend to come back from mongolia (he's off on a charity drive out there in july) so that he can sort out what he broke lol

Thank Post
    Jml is for heads that won't take a normal bit, not a broken screw.

The correct way to remove a broken screw is thus.

Drill it out with a drill bit that is smaller than the threads of the screw.

Buy the correct sized screw extractor that will fit the hole you drilled and use it to remove the screw. Gentle heat might help if its metal to metal.

This is likely to be a horrible job on a small screw that's been in their a while.

I would personally go in from the side that you put the Ariel in and use a dremel to grind the screw flush, attach the Ariel, use stud lock (not thread lock) to permanently fix the Ariel to the base.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    I've got a set of the JML extractors and they are rubbish.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast