+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, And the Stig is... in General; Don't think Schumacher is the usual stig at all but feel it is more than likely that it was Schumacher ...
    Thank Post
    Don't think Schumacher is the usual stig at all but feel it is more than likely that it was Schumacher donning the outfit for the lap in the Ferrari FXX

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Thing is here is sometimes person driving is not the stig whole reason they had someone in a helmet is that sometimes they car makers won't let anyone but their driver drive the car specially if a new car.

So the whole persona of the stig was invented.

Do I think it is schumi not sure doubt it but maybe we are wrong.

Russ
    I would agree with that. I know someone who's witnessed the stig dehelmeting and it was Jason Plato.

I doubt Schumi is the perminant Stig. He'd be listening to Krauftwerk everyweek.

Thank Post
    The FFX that was driven around the test track is Schumacher's own car, it was a retirement gift from Ferrari.

Frankly it was a dig at the media who had been speculating on this. Schumacher was simply this weeks guest, and they thought it would be a laugh to unveil him as the Stig.

The Stig is in all probability different people. Whoever is available for that show, whoever the manufacturers want to drive their car etc.

All a bit of fun really.

Thank Post
    Didn't white Stig jump off a ski jump on a snow mobile once? Can't see Schumacher doing that somehow.....

Thank Post
    The second "The Stig" appeared on the screen this week, me and my boyfriend both said "that's not the old stig". He was blatently a whole load shorter than the one they had last series.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes certainly a racing driver from Bristol born in 1975 is one as he was named in Hammond health and safety report.

Thank Post
    The original Stig was Perry McCathy but he blew it when he revealed it was him in his biography.

Shumi was used just for this one as he was the guest and as others have pointed out Ferrari are quite protective of the FXX's. It was fairly obvious when it went 7 seconds quicker than the Gumpert that somebody 'special' rather than the normal Stig was driving.

The normal Stig has been one person since McCathy and is a fairly well known 'antipodean' GT driver...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got us talking again though hasnt it.....

Thank Post
    No way it's schoomie - that's just who they want you to believe as they wanted him to race his FXX round the test track.

My money is on Ben Collins. Has anyone seen that shot of The Stig's eyes through the helmet, caught out in a photo shoot? Definitely not Shoe-makers eyes.

Edit: Well of course there's a plethora of Stigs, but I'd say Ben Collins does all the "test track" and hot lap time stuff, because being a touring car driver, he'll be most suited to that sort of driving with road cars.
    Last edited by Fivetwelve; 22nd June 2009 at 10:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Yes certainly a racing driver from Bristol born in 1975 is one as he was named in Hammond health and safety report.
    Ben Collins. Among other sources. It's also likely that there are severla stig players, for various reasons. It was someone else until he outed himself in his biography a few years ago.

Not that I'd even heard of Ben Collins until this week. I don't know why I'm replying th this thread... I don't even watch the show.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I took the end part with "Schumaker" doing a lap in the reasonably priced car and cocking it up big time and Clarkson's "maybe he isn't the Stig after all" comment as a fairly sure way of saying that they were messing about and he isn't really the Stig.

I think the "there's more than one Stig" suggestion is a good shout.
    I agree - I don't think they'd give it up like that. It's why a lot of people watch the show!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    No, don't believe it! Can't see a man with an ego that size being happy to be invisible, week after week. Also, he must be far too busy doing millionairy-things to do Top Gear anyway!
    There was an interview in one of the Sundays with someone or other and he said that there are 4 Stigs and he had been one of them - seems much more likely to me
    Definitely not Schumacher. But I'm not sure he is that egotistical. I understand he does a lot for charity in private.

Thank Post
    Ben Collins and that's all I have to say

Thank Post
    i'm amazed that anyone cares. Actually in a way i'm not...in that i'm resigned to this popular fascination with the banal.

they have a laugh with schumacher being the stig for a segment of one programme, and this 'story' is mentoned on a radio 1 'newsbeat' the next day where the bbc would only confirm that the identity of the stig is a closely guarded secret or whatever.

I've never heard of such tediousness. Not since they 'announced' the new doctor who and his new sidekick.

The bbc love it when they get these talking points as far as their only two programmes with popular appeal go, don't they ? And they are not the only broadcaster to cotton on to this kind of neat little publicity trcol. Or maybe i'm just cynical, and got fed up a long time ago with the stagedness [or should that be staged spontaneity] of top gear and it's trio of clarkson, midi-clarkson, and mini-clarkson...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12