+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Anger at school ban on short skirts in General; Originally Posted by LeMarchand St. Trinian's was an all-girls school... We need the Edugeek ladies to explain why girls do ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    St. Trinian's was an all-girls school...

We need the Edugeek ladies to explain why girls do this. If it is just a "rebellion" thing, why does it have to involve sexualisation? Why not a silly tie thing like the boys? Or why don't boys "rebel" by undoing their shirts to their navels?
    Societal pressures in upbringing.

Society doesn't define men as being sexualised by wearing revealing clothing, but by performing feats of strength and general macho bravado.

Women on the other hand are seen as sexualised by wearing revealing clothing.

Stereotypical, yes, but that's kind of the point.

I'm not sure if its so much rebellion as the feeling of entering adulthood, and an undefined need to be 'grown up'. Since most of the adult world centres around the pursuit of one thing its only natural that children should be pushing to be seen in that way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Society doesn't define men as being sexualised by wearing revealing clothing, but by performing feats of strength and general macho bravado.
    I'd disagree: what about the Chippendales? Or do an image search on Dantes Cove (possibly NSFW!) Maybe guys don't have the (possibly mistaken) confidence/body to flaunt it...

I'm not sure if its so much rebellion as the feeling of entering adulthood, and an undefined need to be 'grown up'. Since most of the adult world centres around the pursuit of one thing its only natural that children should be pushing to be seen in that way.
    I can see that; but it's starting earlier and earlier, and it's not helped by marketing "sexy" pants for Primary age girls or things like those hideous Slutz dolls.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd disagree: what about the Chippendales? Or do an image search on Dantes Cove (possibly NSFW!) Maybe guys don't have the (possibly mistaken) confidence/body to flaunt it...
    The number of men in that line of work is dwarfed by the number of women.

I can see that; but it's starting earlier and earlier, and it's not helped by marketing "sexy" pants for Primary age girls or things like those hideous Slutz dolls.
    I didn't (and wouldn't) say that its a good thing, just that the reasons for it are logical.

Not only that but we're currently going through a decadent cycle, as rebellion against previous culture. Give it a half-century or so, maybe a whole one, and we'll be back to Victorian-level standards of decency.

Thank Post
    Give it a half-century or so, maybe a whole one, and we'll be back to Victorian-level standards of decency.
    Huzzah!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Huzzah!
    Exactly!

I'm just hoping I live long enough for it to be acceptable for me to wear a waistcoat and tophat in public, and carry a walking cane.

Thank Post
    Exactly!

I'm just hoping I live long enough for it to be acceptable for me to wear a waistcoat and tophat in public, and carry a walking cane.
    Why wait! Wonder if work would class it as 'smart dress'...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I already get a few comments for wearing cufflinks, I think going for the full morning suit might be pushing it.

Edit: Then again Steampunk is gaining in popularity as a fashion, it could happen.

Thank Post
    Steampunk
    What is a 'SteamPunk'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    What is a 'SteamPunk'
    Think Victorian with a botched-together but beautifully constructed look. Do an image search on "steampunk keyboard" (I want one!) for a good example.

Anyhoo, it'll be a while before I can afford this beauty:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    What is a 'SteamPunk'
    Genre of fiction, games, music and so on. Also includes certain fashions.

Cyberpunk of course is based on the projection of computer technology, cybernetics and similar to a futuristic, highly advanced state.

Then you've got Dieselpunk which is based on a similar projection, but rather than electrical equipment its applied to the petrol engine and technology with the same 'feel'. Mad Max is a fairly good example of Dieselpunk, or Fallout. Tends to be (but is not always) post-apocalyptic.

Then there's Steampunk, where instead clockwork and steam power are used as the basis for 'futuristic' technology. Often it is set during a modifed Victorian-style era.

Thank Post
    I work in a sixth form college with over 2000 students, so about 1000 girls aged between 16-19 years. About 4 years ago there was a rash of ultra short skirt wearing. There is there is no uniform worn and the only dress code is for it to be sensible. Well the boys inadvertantly put paid to the short skirts. They filmed up the skirts using phones and made a video set to "The Stripper" and posted it on the web. There was some sort of contest to see who could identify the girls. All hell let loose with loads of parental complaints, but the senior management team more or less restated the policy and told the parents to take charge of their kids. I may have the video somewhere, but I think it quickly got deleted off the web (if that is ever possible). Maybe I should dig it out and make it available for enrolment in September as a warning to the newbies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly!

you mean its not already, just a second while I go and change

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234