+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anger at school ban on short skirts in General; i think that people are skirting around the issue (haha monday morning pun). As a male member of staff, and ...
    Thank Post
    i think that people are skirting around the issue (haha monday morning pun). As a male member of staff, and quite a young one at that, i feel uncomfortable with girls in short skirts, but across the road the other high school has trousers, very tight trousers, which are worse. I walk to work in the morning and find my self looking at the sky, i can get to work by following certain telegraph polls.

seriously tho; when i was a student here, there was a girl who protested that in winter girls can wear trousers. the head suspended her! that was funny, totally unjust but still funny, she was laughing too.... he is my boss now

Thank Post
    As to the pics...all I can say is...my gods, short skirts or no, yer onto a loser there.

Yes, I'm not PC and I'm not embarrased about it either. We had it here - no uniform code for years..summer was EVIL. THOSE skirts are NOT short compared to what we used to get. Or low cut muffin tops with it all hanging out, quite literally. It got to the point where I refused to a) Be alone in a room, and b) Go under any desks to check cabling etc.

I lost count of how many times we had the "whoops, I dropped my pen sir" followed by the deliberate slow bend down and so on. It's all water off a ducks back now. Cellulite..yummy.

I did have recourse several times to say "put it away, please", or "You're overflowing", or just occasionally to suggest I should call greenpeace with a harpoon.

Introducing a strictly enforced uniform is one of the best things that ever happened here.

I used to work in a girls school for a while..now THAT was an interesting experience...lost count of how many times we got flashed..thankfully I had my windows frosted for a reason. Also, synchronised PMT...heh..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 22nd June 2009 at 10:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Skirt length is stated in our uniform rules, and teachers will often stop students and get them to roll their skirts back down. As a male staff member, I've never felt comfortable challenging the girls on this, but will alert form tutors to particular offenders.

After the way certain individuals in our Sixth Form dressed (and lots more people on non-uniform days) our school rules now contain statements about appropriate dress when not in uniform too.

As for the moving around school, I just try and keep my eyes down when going up stairs. As was pointed out earlier, this can be difficult if girls are sat on the stairs, but they don't do this much.

In response to leMarchand's comment about young girls being so desperate for male attention, I don't think it is as simple as that. This is an all-girls school, and we still have students in rolled up skirts and revealing outfits on non-uniform.

Thank Post
    There is a push here, albeit inconsistant at times to get uniforms in order. The "trowel effect" is probably the worst - even to the "Tango Effect" for the girls.
    Boys - its mainly shirts untucked or trainers

The one thing that bugs me though is the 1" tie! - they all have standard length ties but insist on wearing it so short!

Now, I refuse to reset a password (et al) for any pupils where shirts are hanging out, the tie is not close the waist, etc - Trainers? Not a chance - that gets them a tour to the appropriate Head of Year - who is informed as soon as they depart..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    There is a push here, albeit inconsistant at times to get uniforms in order. The "trowel effect" is probably the worst - even to the "Tango Effect" for the girls.
    Boys - its mainly shirts untucked or trainers

The one thing that bugs me though is the 1" tie! - they all have standard length ties but insist on wearing it so short!

Now, I refuse to reset a password (et al) for any pupils where shirts are hanging out, the tie is not close the waist, etc - Trainers? Not a chance - that gets them a tour to the appropriate Head of Year - who is informed as soon as they depart..

I've never understood the tie thing. I mean, I could understand them not wanting to wear a tie but I just really don't get why so many kids seem so desperately to want to look like clowns.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Now, I refuse to reset a password (et al) for any pupils where shirts are hanging out, the tie is not close the waist, etc
    We had a girl show up at the Staff Room to reclaim her confiscated mobile, while wearing loads of make-up. The teacher sent her to wash it off before returning the phone, along with a detention for the make-up! :-)

Do you enforce the same policy for girls or just the boys? I'm just conscious that it can be harder/uncomfortable/awkward telling a girl to do up another button or roll her skirt back down, much more so than telling a boy to sort his tie out.

Thank Post
    Personally, as in covering my arse (parden the pun), I refer to the Form Tutor or Head of Year regarding skirts.. As I do if I have to get them to adjust ties, shirts, etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I've never understood the tie thing. I mean, I could understand them not wanting to wear a tie but I just really don't get why so many kids seem so desperately to want to look like clowns.
    When I was at school, the "fashion" with ties was to wear them with the thin end out, rather than the conventional way. Oddly, I seem to remember thinking it was cool, but that's another story! One teacher would always do a uniform check on the door every lesson, and we would go to great - often quite imaginative - lengths to get one of these ties past him, including hanging the fat end out the bottom of the jumper, so it was visible and looked like the tie was being worn properly. On our last lesson, a load of people wore the ties the correct way round, but cut the stitching up the back so it could go really wide, making it more like an apron than a tie!

At my wife's school, I understand that there are generally two ways of wearing ties - 1) correctly, 2) tied Rambo-style around the head!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    When I was at school, the "fashion" with ties was to wear them with the thin end out, rather than the conventional way. Oddly, I seem to remember thinking it was cool
    Haha just reminded me thats how I wore mine - what a rebel!

I was: thin tie with knot half way down shirt, top button undone, shirt untucked and scruffy trainers. Seems that if you got good grades it was let slide.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    I think the reason the boys change the way they wear their tie is because it is something they can do to the uniform that is a little bit 'different'. When my boys wore theirs, the fashion was to have as fat a knot as possible, with a very short bit sticking out. The tie was only just visible anyway under a sweatshirt with a very slight v neck.
    I've always thought that it is unfair that a lot of schools make the boys wear ties and not the girls (and yes, I do have a daughter as well)

Speaking of non-uniform - the middle school (up to yr 8) I work in had it today and girls in years 7 and 8 (so they are 12 and 13) were dressed in all sorts of low cut and off the shoulder tops.Completely unsuitable and very unfair on the boys who at that age are all ragiing hormones. The staff have requested a note about what is suitable to go out to the parents.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    When my boys wore theirs, the fashion was to have as fat a knot as possible, with a very short bit sticking out.
    Did they ecome estate agents or car salesmen? They do this too.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    Well if you thought that was bad, anyone read this? , now thats pretty bad especially from a head teacher!!
    If I was told to close all my profiles I'd return a very rude response!

She was a scruffy pupil, so what? How many decades ago was that? And what goes on your wall posted by others is nothing to do with your own opinions.

Just another Daily Mail non-news shuffle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    Well if you thought that was bad, anyone read this? , now thats pretty bad especially from a head teacher!!
    Belinda Bliss - That's the sort of name you find in a certain kind of video. Couldn't help that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    In response to leMarchand's comment about young girls being so desperate for male attention, I don't think it is as simple as that. This is an all-girls school, and we still have students in rolled up skirts and revealing outfits on non-uniform.
    St. Trinian's was an all-girls school...

We need the Edugeek ladies to explain why girls do this. If it is just a "rebellion" thing, why does it have to involve sexualisation? Why not a silly tie thing like the boys? Or why don't boys "rebel" by undoing their shirts to their navels?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    We need the Edugeek ladies to explain why girls do this. If it is just a "rebellion" thing, why does it have to involve sexualisation? Why not a silly tie thing like the boys? Or why don't boys "rebel" by undoing their shirts to their navels?
    I would have thought this was pretty obvious...

Hark back to your teens when you were busy dealing with raging hormones, sense of self-identity, your voice cracking all over the shop, bits growing, etc... at the worst possible times... new feelings, etc... It was never about anything other than sex as near as I could tell

I dunno about you lot but we had things like wearing grey instead of white shirts, or white socks instead of the grey ones... then there was stuff like ornate belt buckles, tying your tie so it was the wrong way round and thinner, with the thick end tucked in your shirt..

As I remember it, it was simply a chance to stand out, rebel, push the boundaries a little and see when someone would pounce on you and put you back in line.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast