+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anger at school ban on short skirts in General; Our uniform can only be purchased from the College and the skirts are specifically designed to be long when sold ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Our uniform can only be purchased from the College and the skirts are specifically designed to be long when sold and you can only wear them from the school and the lady that does it keeps an eye on what is going out for checking for size as it were so if they come back later short then we know its been rolled.

I do agree though some female students go too far with the short skirt thing on stairs it can be unpleasant at times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Four years ago the middle school of which I am a governor tried to ban skirts all together as well for several reasons: because the male teachers were getting problems with girls wearing short, tight skirts in subjects where you might have to sit on the floor or sit with your legs apart (operating machinery in Res Mat or playing a guitar in Music): anyone following the girls upstairs didn't know where to look and the sheer tartiness of the short tight skirts . There was also a lot of trouble between the top year and the years below - teasing the younger ones about their longer skirts etc We knew we wouldn't succeed but we wanted to start a debate - boy, did we. One mother went onto breakfast TV complaining, we had Sky TV reporting, the local press, the lot.
    It worked though...we 'conceded' that we would have a working party with parents on it discussing the issue, and we now have knee length skirts (easier for male teachers to judge without being anywhere near the children) and they are also pleated which means that they are no longer obscenely tight and fall between the legs if the girl sits on the floor. It has stopped the name calling and actually improved behaviour. Looks good too.

SCHOOL BANS SKIRTS - mirror.co.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    different link, same story but with pictures that make me agree that they should be wearing full length skirts
    I'm not quite sure what the Mail's angle on the story is: the text suggests one thing, but the lovely models they chose suggest they're not taking it seriously. The scary thing is that those girls probably think they're GORGEOUS!!!

Some great lines in the story, some of which I daren't comment on for fear of being branded a sexist/pig, but:

Making us wear trousers is a bad idea - they irritate you. Short skirts do not affect our learning.

We buy M&S skirts but they complain about the length. I would leave school if I had to wear trousers.
    How do the boys cope? Perhaps they should be given special consideration for managing to study in "irritating" clothing (not having their learning affected by all the flesh on show). As for M&S: surely even they sell short skirts and, even if all their skirts are of a suitable length, do they remain unaltered? As for leaving school if forced to wear trousers, I guess she doesn't own a pair of jeans then.

Helen Parker, 43, said the school needed to take into account the cost to parents of changing what girls can wear.
    I find it hard to believe that both not only has the school never made stipulations about skirt length (and even if not, surely common sense should have prevailed) but that these girls aren't going to be buying any other skirts during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non-believing women.
    I'm curious as to what would happen if hijabs came into fashion. I also found this:

Wearing an abaya or other form of Islamic clothing may make women feel more comfortable as they travel through Muslim areas and may be required by law in some Muslim nations.
    So non-believers are required to wear traditional clothes .

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Girls aged nine to 13 are now turning up for class in long trousers - despite blazing sunshine
    Again, it's a wonder how the boys cope.

12 and 13-year-olds are flouting that rule, wearing skirts only about three inches below their bottom
    I find it quite disturbing that girls that young are so desperate for male attention. (Unless I'm missing some other reason for flashing the flesh). Not to mention that some parents apparently think such skirt lengths are appropriate for children.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by from telegraph article
    Protest: Chloe (left) and Stacey Tate (right) with their mother, Donna Parkinson (centre) all think they should be allowed to wear what they want at the school
    Yup... they also believe that they shouldn't be forced to learn anything, should get paid to go to school and really need to grow up and face reality.

Idiots...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Well if you thought that was bad, anyone read this? , now thats pretty bad especially from a head teacher!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    Well if you thought that was bad, anyone read this? , now thats pretty bad especially from a head teacher!!
    Seems pretty dumb to me. People should lead their online life like they lead their real life. I bet she wouldn't be discussing her breast sizes in a pub near her school, so she shouldn't be doing it online...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Also, as part of this, how come many schools don't allow the male students to wear shorts in summer, female can wear skirts but guys cannot wear shorts, its trousers for males all year in a lot of places, so surely that could be argued that its not good for males.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Also, as part of this, how come many schools don't allow the male students to wear shorts in summer, female can wear skirts but guys cannot wear shorts, its trousers for males all year in a lot of places, so surely that could be argued that its not good for males.
    Welcome to equality

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    So tell me, would you REALLY want to wear SCHOOL UNIFORM SHORTS when you are 13 or older? No, I didn't think so!

For whatever reason, skirts are acceptable as ''uniform or business wear", and casual shorts are not. Shorts are usually acceptable uniform for boys up to 11 in primary school but after that I don't think any of them would wear them

Also, if you read the real story, what the head was saying was that if the girls didn't lengthen their skirts, THEN she would make them wear trousers.
    Last edited by witch; 20th June 2009 at 09:01 PM.

Thank Post
    It's funny how schools have their own student cultures. Where I am the girls are free to choose, and they all wear tight trousers. It's a particular type of tight trouser that's been 'in' here for years.

Last week I visited a school near Blackpool (I won't say which, but those I visited will know where I mean), and every girl wore a very short tight skirt. By short, I mean way too short. I assumed that it wasn't uniform, it was just that the staff were unable to change the student culture there. I'll PM the person concerned and ask.

Thank Post
    Whilst banning is possibly not the best way to go about the issue, the school do need to enforce the 'knee length only' rule consistantly, with sanctions if the rule is not adhered to. As a male member of staff, I'd find the current situation very uncomforatable - and potentially open to allegations from pupils. Although it's not too much of a problem at the school I'm in, sometimes one has to avert their eyes quickly, due to some of the standards of dress of the females.

The old battleaxe who dealt with uniform at the school I went to would never have put up with that! Nobody would have dared crossed her either!

Some of the reader comments in the Daily Mail article made me laugh though:

"Some schoolgirls look like hookers as I drive by them on my way into work. I'm no prude, I think if you've got it, flaunt it, but short skirts are for weekends ONLY, NOT school"

The person who wrote that, does have a very valid point though!

Thank Post
    We had a protest at our school (as in when I went to school not where I work) where a load of Y11s wore skirts to protest not being allowed to wear shorts. Was hugely funny from our point of view but got stamped on pretty hard. Made the point though. They did all comment on how liberating it felt though!

We are re-doing the uniform here as this is becoming more of a problem.

Ohh and I dread non-uniform days here sometimes. Better to batten the hatches and stay in the office then fear looking in the wrong place at the wrong time!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Where I went to school (not worked) it was very strict black blazer, black trousers/long skirt, white shirt/blouse, school tie, and black shoes. One guy decided to wear a skirt to fight the powAr! The teachers all laughed at him but didn't request that he take it off so out of embarasment he never did it again and neither did anyone else.

The worst we had was rolled skirts and some fantastically cut (from my point of view ) blouses that some girls wore.

Thank Post
    Yeah we get it here too the inappropriately short skirts, and I dread Non-Uniform days as its not just skirts that become inappropriate...

As with TechMonkey, I find myself staying in the office and only going out during lesson time so as not to be put in an embarrasing/awkward/ situation... its worse if they are sitting a few stairs up, at about eye level..

I do believe that the minimum skirt length should be just below the knee... or trousers..

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    different link, same story but with pictures that make me agree that they should be wearing full length skirts

100 pupils walk out of high school in protest at short skirt ban | Mail Online
    Thankfully I don't eat breakfast

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast