+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, MP's Expenses in General; Originally Posted by nephilim My local MP is pretty clean. Kelvin hopkins. in the past 4 years, he claimed a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    My local MP is pretty clean. Kelvin hopkins. in the past 4 years, he claimed a total of 5000 (or around that figure)
    What a good guy, mine, David Curry has claimed nearly 132K according to the BBC!!! I knew it was a lot by just scanning over the tickets but geez!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yeah. I didn't mention the 140 - 250 a month mobile phone costs for my MP.

700 a year is a ridiculous amount for computer support. I can get server support for that!
    Maybe the guy who supports him raised his prices to 700 in an unsuccessful bid to drive him elsewhere? Money is great and all, but some customers just aren't worth the hassle and inanity.

Thank Post
    The only interesting thing in mine is 750 a year web and domain hosting services

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem is security services will never allow an mp village as it would cost just a much to secure. Lets have all uk MPS in one place hmmm think that idea is a non starter..

Russ

Thank Post
    Point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blank Cheques Scots Mps Claimed 25m In Three Years (from The Herald )

...Christopher Fraser claimed more than 1800 for cherry laurel and red cedar trees, Fabian Hamilton 135 for an iPod Nano and Liberal Democrat Lembit Opik 20 for a wig for a charity event.
    You couldnt make it up...

... George Osborne claimed 47 for two DVDs of his speech on "Value for Taxpayers' Money"

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    As everyone should be aware of the official MP's Expenses have all been published............Alistair darling claimed 3 for a bus ticket!!! 3!!!

heard it on LBC this morning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

And while I'm on a rant, can I just talk about David Cameron? His constituency is in Abingdon, he lives in London which is less than 70 miles away and yet he couldn't possibly support the idea of hotel type accommodation for MPs because they must have family homes! He claims he "needs" to maintain 2 family homes so that the whole family can move between them. Well, very nice, but I don't see why we should pay for it!!

When my husband worked away alot when our children were younger I don't think he could have justified claiming expenses for the entire family to stay with him in 'family homes', he was there to work! Why should an MP be any different to 'normal' weekly commuters?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Why should an MP be any different to 'normal' weekly commuters?
    I feel there are (at least) three different arguments here.

1) Should MPs get the second home allowance etc?
    I'm not convinced they should, I feel a hostel arrangement would be better, and although it would be a security issue, at least you would only have to protect one location, not 600+. However, this is how the rules stand at the moment. This is what we should be judging them against.

2) If an MP "plays" the rules but doesn't break them, flipping homes and profiting by this, should we be giving him a royal slapping? Yes.

3) If an MP continues claiming his mortgage after paying off the home, should he go to jail; just like a benefit cheat? Yes, in spades! Bring back Lord Denning, he'd send the bggrs down!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    My MP - Annette Brooke is one of the good guys - she rents a tiny flat in London and claims very little else. She works ridiculous hours, she spends more time in the Commons than most MPs but she also spends a huge amount of time in her constituency, where she has lived for many years. We sometimes think that she may have been cloned, as she seems to be everywhere at the same time. (she's a Lib Dem, BTW)

Another point: if a political party 'parachutes' someone into a constituency - but they don't live there - why should we, the taxpayer pay for a big 'second home' in that constituency? The party that chose them for the post should pay for their accomodation in that case.
    As for the rest - I agree that people will always claim as close to the limit of what they are allowed if they can - twas ever thus - and to be honest, I think a lot of us would, if we could.
    What I want to know is - is something going to be done about the fees office allowing some of these very dodgy claims?

As for accomodation, a Met policeman friend of mine reckons that, whilst you wouldn't want all the MPs in one place for security reasons, several locations of flats across the city wouldn't be a problem at all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    The problem is security services will never allow an mp village as it would cost just a much to secure. Lets have all uk MPS in one place hmmm think that idea is a non starter..

Russ
    Better make sure that nobody tell the Terry Wrists that lots of MPs gather in a big building near Big Ben most* days

mb
    * Well, at least for a few months of the year, when they aren't on one of their holidays^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hrecesses!

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Latest news 19/6/09:-

Scotland Yard are to investigate some of the cases!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    That will be an utter waste of time! I bet!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123