+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43
General Chat Thread, MP's Expenses in General; I like the idea of him being a closet gamer, firing up a bit of source before he goes to ...
  1. #16
    dwhyte85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,226
    Thank Post
    161
    Thanked 150 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    I like the idea of him being a closet gamer, firing up a bit of source before he goes to bed haha.

  2. #17

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,946
    Thank Post
    709
    Thanked 553 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    Our mp opened his books and his second home to the local rag last week (assuming he knew that was going to get published this week anyway).

    MP Andy Reed gives Echo a tour of his London home - Loughborough Echo

    Russ

  3. #18
    DSapseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,153
    Thank Post
    130
    Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Ive just checked our local mp and he claimed for a beer fridge!!! How cool is that

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,157
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I don't know why they haven't all been arrested where its obvious... had they been working for a company they would have been given the sack + reported to police.... but no MPs get to resign with a £40,000 goodbye gift.
    I've no intention of defending this or any other MP abusing the system but it's simply not true to say that in industry they'd have been sacked for behaviour like this.

    One of the problems is that everyone talks about "MP's Expenses" and if you think of them like that then there is absolutely no justification for what people have done. They're actually called "allowances" and if you tell someone "you're ALLOWED to claim up to £23,000 per year; you just need some plausible receipts" then many people are going to claim that money.

    It doesn't mean they're not greedy but it does meant that they're not stealing or committing fraud (in most cases!)

    The allowances have been in place for decades (Margaret Thatcher increased the amounts which could be claimed but I think they were in place before that)

    One of the most infuriating things is how little the press have commented on the whole thing previously. Yes, we never knew that people were claiming for duck houses and gaming computers but it's always been known that MPs could claim £23k per year (or whatever the amount was). Why was no-one saying "why do they need this money?" After all, lots of people commute huge distances per week or have to live away from home for part of the week - most of them get to cover basic costs for this so why should MPs be different!!

    And while I'm on a rant, can I just talk about David Cameron? His constituency is in Abingdon, he lives in London which is less than 70 miles away and yet he couldn't possibly support the idea of hotel type accommodation for MPs because they must have family homes! He claims he "needs" to maintain 2 family homes so that the whole family can move between them. Well, very nice, but I don't see why we should pay for it!!

  5. #20

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,285
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    I think you'll find that Margaret Thatcher introduced the allowances scheme.

  6. #21

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,866
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    I can understand not wanting hotel-ish acommodation for those with families, but a reasonable compromise (at least to me) would be an MP's village of flats, in a block with a communal garden and so on. All the associated costs (gardeners, bins, security, phone lines, shared internet, etc) are amalgamated into one building, everybody gets a fair deal, and the taxpayer knows exactly what the true cost is.

  7. #22

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,992
    Thank Post
    1,359
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    602
    I suggested a community facility for MPs to a friend who is a civil serpent ... and apparently it has been looked into a number of times but the problem was to do with trying to stop politics overflowing into the home ... the civil service do *not* want politicians talking too much between themselves when civil serpents are actually trying to run the country ...

    I wasn't too sure if he was serious or not actually!

  8. #23


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,677
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 782 Times in 609 Posts
    Rep Power
    224

  9. #24

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    9,978
    Thank Post
    1,852
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Rep Power
    818
    Toner cartridges, envelopes, rubber bands, secretarial services, the odd taxi, room hire for surgeries... all pretty boring.

    My only query is why an MP who lives less than 40 miles from London needs to claim nearly £1400 a month mortgage costs on a second home

  10. #25

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,396
    Thank Post
    1,515
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    My MP has a very expensive PC, a £700 a year Maintance Agreement on it, which doesn't include home visits! What on earth does he get for £700 a year!!! You could buy a new flipping PC each year for less than that if you argue that its a vital tool for him so get a new PC with warranty each year for like £450 its still less than the £700. He also rents his Mobile Phone for about £45 a month, and still have a bill for calls from O2 ranging from £60 to £140 so surely a blackberry that he rents is free as his contract is a £50 a month!! Overall he does have very expensive claims, but too much is blanked out I do feel a letter to the local rag is in order, as an IT pro, I would love to make £700 a year for just being on the end of a phone and potentially doing nothing much and then still giving them a bill if I left my desk and went for an on-site visit!

    My MP is a Conservative as well if were keeping tags on which party is the worst!

  11. #26

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,130
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    My MP has a very expensive PC, a £700 a year Maintance Agreement on it, which doesn't include home visits! What on earth does he get for £700 a year!!! You could buy a new flipping PC each year for less than that if you argue that its a vital tool for him so get a new PC with warranty each year for like £450 its still less than the £700. He also rents his Mobile Phone for about £45 a month, and still have a bill for calls from O2 ranging from £60 to £140 so surely a blackberry that he rents is free as his contract is a £50 a month!! Overall he does have very expensive claims, but too much is blanked out I do feel a letter to the local rag is in order, as an IT pro, I would love to make £700 a year for just being on the end of a phone and potentially doing nothing much and then still giving them a bill if I left my desk and went for an on-site visit!

    My MP is a Conservative as well if were keeping tags on which party is the worst!
    Yeah. I didn't mention the £140 - £250 a month mobile phone costs for my MP.

    £700 a year is a ridiculous amount for computer support. I can get server support for that!

  12. #27

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,285
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I suggested a community facility for MPs to a friend who is a civil serpent ... and apparently it has been looked into a number of times but the problem was to do with trying to stop politics overflowing into the home ... the civil service do *not* want politicians talking too much between themselves when civil serpents are actually trying to run the country ...

    I wasn't too sure if he was serious or not actually!
    I believe that the Olympic Village currently being built for the 2012 Olympics has been suggested as a London residence for MPs.

  13. #28

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,396
    Thank Post
    1,515
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    I forgot to add that he still has a quarterly BT Bill of around £120 each time, and then pays Tiscali £15 a month for ADSL and still paid Kingston Communications over £100 for a Dial Up Connection!?! I really don't get it. Is his second home in KCom land or what? Very strange, I do feel a letter will be written to the local rag when I get time.

  14. #29

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,257
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    My local MP is pretty clean. Kelvin hopkins. in the past 4 years, he claimed a total of £5000 (or around that figure)

  15. #30

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,130
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    My local MP is pretty clean. Kelvin hopkins. in the past 4 years, he claimed a total of £5000 (or around that figure)
    Wow, Ian L-G came to £166k according to the BBC, for a single year...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Travel Expenses
    By tomscaper in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th November 2008, 10:08 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •