+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, google apps or MS live@edu? in General; I was late Apparently his "mobile phone" is normally a netbook instead of that laptop. It's all well and good ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    I was late

Apparently his "mobile phone" is normally a netbook instead of that laptop.

It's all well and good saying you have all of these communication features available when you've got one device per person but I would think that multiple people sharing pc's and laptops as in school is whole different ballgame.

I'm going to look into moving the school generic accounts over to live@edu ones I think.

I didn't realise until yesterday that fronter didn't have an email solution with it.

Ben

Thank Post

Google Apps

Just to clear a few things up about Google's service. My school switched from Exchange to Google in Feb and we have been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    What you don't get with either provider is things like message filtering or the ability to control (i.e. look at) user's mail boxes that you would with a locally hosted solution.
    Google does give you the ability to login to other user's mailboxes through a service called "OAuth", where, if enabled, you have a secret code you can use in the password field.

Some Google cons:

• User manager for >250 users could use some work (no search option, only 30 users per page, etc.)
    • Sharing Documents does not allow sharing of organizational structure. So if you share 50 PDF docs, you can organize them into folders for each user
    • No mail folder sharing like Exchange, where we had Professors sharing certain mail folders with teaching assistants, now that is impossible.

Pros:

• Spam/Virus is excellent!
    • We have students from 10 languages and all are supported
    • Google Apps Outlook Sync!
    • Uptime is great, the 1 time we had a problem they have a great site informing you of the problems and expected resolution
    • Great Troubleshooting/Help site with list of known issues and work arounds
    • Google Labs!
    • Once you get used to them, they are great: Labels, Conversations
    • Sync with ActiveDirectory/LDAP
    • Supported easily by mobile devices

There are probably more to add to each list, but those were the ones I thought of. Let me know if you have any questions about our experience with GApps. I can't really comment on the live@edu solution, though.

3. 2 Thanks to jhiggins:

eean (19th June 2009), reggiep (17th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I've looked into moving to Google's email service a couple of times...

@ JHiggins - Sync with ActiveDirectory/LDAP - doesn't that have to go through a 3rd party and end up pretty expensive charged on a per-user basis? That was one of the things that put me off...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    It's all well and good saying you have all of these communication features available when you've got one device per person but I would think that multiple people sharing pc's and laptops as in school is whole different ballgame.
    Surely the whole idea of Hot Desking and Active Directory is that all contact details follow the profile not the computer. The Network/USB phone/headphones should have it's number automatically reassigned as a user logs on.

Thank Post
    I did look at the Active Directory intergration too, but the text was long and scary so I gave up and went down the pub instead.

Thank Post
    It depends on where the users data is stored really especially when you are looking at all the emails, attachments, documents, voice mail files etc...

If it's in house then it's the management of that.

Sure I think everyone should have all their stuff available no matter what location or device they are using.

Ben

Thank Post
    I've been away for a few hours, and come back to find somebody drawing me into this conversation...
    I'm not going to dive too deeply into this, as I'm not an expert, but I can pass you along to someone who is.

We have mainly promoted this service to colleges and universities, because schools are guided to choose a service which has met Becta certification, which neither of the services do as they stand - they all require additional filtering services adding. So for schools use, we have been concentrating on working with the RBCs and LEAs to build a solution for school use, incorporating Live@edu into an appropriate solution. (Which is what London did when they announced their move to Live@edu last year - details here)

In terms of considering a choice between Live@edu and Google mail, I believe that the majority of education users (colleges and universities) in the UK have made the choice for Live@edu based on:
    • Data storage within EU (to comply with Data Protection act and Becta guidelines). This doesn't just apply to email, but any cloud-based service. We have to setup a specific data centre in Ireland to host the UK's Live@edu customers, rather than using our normal 'anywhere in the globe' data centre model
    • Integration with existing identity management (eg sharepoint).

(Becta Information Security info is here)

You may want to talk to your local authority/RBC to find out their future plans before making a jump yourself. PM me if you want me to get more info, and I'll put you in touch with the right person.

9. Thanks to rayfleming from:

plexer (17th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Info Ray that's exactly what I wanted to see.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    I've looked into moving to Google's email service a couple of times...

@ JHiggins - Sync with ActiveDirectory/LDAP - doesn't that have to go through a 3rd party and end up pretty expensive charged on a per-user basis? That was one of the things that put me off...
    Google now has an app for this:
    Google Apps Directory Sync - Google Apps Help

12. Thanks to jhiggins from:

Netman (17th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I've actually deployed a Live@edu solution which I believe is now actually branded Outlook Live

I did consider Googe but in the end went for MS partly because of the fact that as Ray pointed out MS guarantee the use of servers in the EU.

The other considerations were, the skydrive (25GB), the fact that we get Word onlne (as opposed to something that can save as .doc), OWA is very nice, etc

Thank Post
    I've actually deployed a Live@edu solution which I believe is now actually branded Outlook Live

I did consider Googe but in the end went for MS partly because of the fact that as Ray pointed out MS guarantee the use of servers in the EU.

The other considerations were, the skydrive (25GB), the fact that we get Word onlne (as opposed to something that can save as .doc), OWA is very nice, etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    Have you seen the 'attempt to be funky' promotional videos on the website? Now that's desperate!
    whereas google goes for the perky yet rather dry american accents on theirs

*snore*

Thank Post
    i know im coming to this thread a little late but i am interested in what has been the reaction of the staff at school to moving to services like live@edu or google apps. has the end result justified the move?

Thank Post
    I have seen the trying-too-hard-to-be-funky film, but that was all I could find out about Live@edu without actually starting to convert our domain to it. Is there anywhere else I can get hold of a more helpful demo of it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfleming View Post
    [*]Data storage within EU (to comply with Data Protection act and Becta guidelines). This doesn't just apply to email, but any cloud-based service. We have to setup a specific data centre in Ireland to host the UK's Live@edu customers, rather than using our normal 'anywhere in the globe' data centre model
    Under the Safe Harbour agreement signed between the US and the EU back in 2000, registered US companies that agree to be bound by the agreement can transfer data to the US and still fully comply with the Data Protection act. There's more information at International transfers - Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and Commission decision on safe harbor data protection

Google is one of the many US companies that have signed up to this agreement

19. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Netman (23rd June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast