Poll: What certification do you have? (vote for more than one if possible).

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Certification in General; I just wanted to know what certification everyone else here's got? It doesn't get much mention. I'm working towards the ...
    Thank Post

Certification

I just wanted to know what certification everyone else here's got? It doesn't get much mention.

I'm working towards the MCSA, in the hope that it'll help me get a better paid job or at least increase my pay in the school (fat chance). I also like a challange.

I passed the 70-290 (Server 2003 Environment) exam on Friday. (Just wanted to say that!) I only have one more to go (70-291) then I'll have the MCSA.

I'm doing it all self-study, so it's slow going. I'll take me 12 months in total for the four exams.

What's everyone else here got or is working on? Anything by other vendors?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Certification

I did the Microsoft thing with NT 4.0. I now do the nice sytstems admin courses at Lancaster Uni. University certification, counts to a degree and does not get 'nixed when the product range moves on involving you spending hundreds more to maintain your quals therefore nullifying any extra cash you may have earnt.
    From what I can gather from job panels I advise on the current trend is towards experience over qualifications due to the market being flooded with paper passes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No option for 'none' then

Would be really interested to hear the details of what you use where etc., and costs...

Thank Post

Well, I got my A+ at the end of last year. I still haven't decided on whether I'm going for the Server+ or Network next, although I'm veering towards doing Server.

In the long run, I'm looking to get the MCSA and the CCNA but it all depends on time, cost and whether it's even worth it.

Cost-wise, the A+ was two exams @ £120 each while Network & Server are same price, but only one exam each.

Thank Post

[option added = None]

For those ppl who dont get paid enough and/or the school does have the £££ for you to go

:P

Regards
    N.

Thank Post

Just a quick comment on cost, the Lancaster Uni courses are ridiculously cheap for what you get - especially considering how good the food is now!

Check out http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ictfocus/ for price details and info.

There is a guy on the course I am currently studying (CASA) that travels from the NE - stays overnight in uni accommodation - so travelling distance is no object!

Thank Post

It is when you've got to pay for it!

Thank Post

Have you looked at the pricing - a full year's course for a little over £500. You should be able to get your school to pay that (even if they are tight-fisted Scottish people ).

You could offer to pay for your own accomodation since it will be helping you. A nice little holiday once a month.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Have you looked at the pricing - a full year's course for a little over £500. You should be able to get your school to pay that (even if they are tight-fisted Scottish people ).

You could offer to pay for your own accomodation since it will be helping you. A nice little holiday once a month.
    yer right the total budget for courses for whole school this year here is £1500....

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

been lookinbg into courses and will do one of two things either try and get cisco course over two years first two modules then next two..

or been looking into something more long term as i never went to uni would like to get op to do degree levle course was looking at bcs exams and they would be done it over 3 years first year basic levle and then second year pro exam level and then advance level in final year and then can go on to msc uni courses etc.

or i try and do some kind of it part time dgree level course

not really sure yet i think going to spend this next 12 months deciding on what want to do and saving up as well.

unless i win lottery with this ticket in my wallet.

russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That is very good Ric_.

Unfortunately here the maximum available for any course is £200 per year. That includes travelling. And they're talking about cutting that back!

And my job came with the promise of training included!

Thank Post

If you sign up for the right course, it would probably span 2 financial years (thus raising your max spend to £400). A well written business case (prob with pics) should then get you the extra.

If you write a business case and approach it from a professional angle, rather than simply going and asking your line manager, you will be more likely to get it agreed.

If the business case shows that your increased skill set will save £xxx on support costs, you can also financially justify it.

BTW - who says you have to pay for training out of the training budget?

Thank Post

I have only come into education ICT in the last 3 months having previously worked for Ford Motor Co and Compuware.

I did my certification while working for them and had to substitue 50% but heyt £2k is better than £4k right.

What I don't understand though is we now work in an "education" environment ( I place great emphasis on the education bit) and all I keep hearing is we can't get educated becouse we have no budget (this is the same in our place).

A - Where is our training budget gone - RussDev £2k per year is not on is it
    B - How are we supposed to keep up with emerging technologies and concepts if we can get decent training, long term the school will suffer do they not see this......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just found out something interesting this morning. Apparenty with the new workforce rules fro teachers (more time marking and doing admin etc) the schools have to pay for more staff. Guess where the cash comes from?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ric_
    If you write a business case and...<snip>
    So have you got one you made earlier Ric? :P

...and can I have your pic so I can put it on my wall? :P:P:P

Quote Originally Posted by ric_
    BTW - who says you have to pay for training out of the training budget? Wink
    Well I have used support money in the past...

Exactly ICTNUT - Schools are going to lose excellent staff like yourself due to penny pinching - which make's no sense financially, weighed up against the costs of constantly employing new people because no one will stay. And if you do stay - your skill set will be eroded so you'll eventually work yourself out of a job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast