+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hillingdon First For ID Cards in General; Don't forget to present your ID card when you make your vote in the local election. Voting for the wrong ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget to present your ID card when you make your vote in the local election. Voting for the wrong candidate may reduce your eligibility for certain council services.

2. Thanks to jamesb from:

tech_guy (10th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Broken or lost cards ? Oh they charge you for that !!
    It all breaks down to money money money.......
    How much do the cards cost, My RFID GoCard (silimar if not the same as a oyster card) cost me $5 i have no doubt they are making a profit off that?

Thank Post
    It does not just begin with this stuff. Think of Tesco clubcards and Necta Cards and all the other fluff like that. They are there to give us rewards you might think.... Nah, they are there to record what you buy when you buy and how you buy. They can then direct more sales more advertising and more intrusion into your lives.

You might think it's great in 10 years that when you walk into Tesco's with your 3d goggles on that you see loads of advice and products pop up on display guiding you where you might want to go. I would rather just be an individual and would like to keep my thoughts and habits to myself.

Websites do a lot of that stuff well already. Directed advertising etc.. One of the reasons i like to block ads and other stuff. We will end up having to walk around with balaclavas on to maintain our privacy....

As i say, it is not just ID cards as this sort of spying is creeping into every walk of life.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Don't forget to present your ID card when you make your vote in the local election. Voting for the wrong candidate may reduce your eligibility for certain council services.
    Gotta keep the pendulum swinging between the two different branches of government (government and government in waiting). Remember to vote, it makes a difference.... my arse

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    What will your personal data be used for?

Personal Data collected via the Hillingdon first card will be used by the council for administering the Hillingdon Card scheme and, where appropriate, will use such information in carrying out its various functions and services. The Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers and, as such, may use this data in connection with the prevention or detection of fraud or other crime. In addition the Council may from time to time contact you in regards to offers, promotions, or additional services available in relation to the HillingdonFirst Card.

A bit wishy washy - 'various functions' - what the hell is a various function ?
    ...the Council may from time to time contact you in regards to offers, promotions, or additional services - translated - will inandate you will junk mail / cold calling & SPAM

Hillingdon Council have done some pretty bad things over the years but this one just stinks.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any I bet you the data infrastructure will be easily hackable and everyone's data will get nicked and sold to the highest bidder by Russian hackers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    You might think it's great in 10 years that when you walk into Tesco's with your 3d goggles on that you see loads of advice and products pop up on display guiding you where you might want to go. I would rather just be an individual and would like to keep my thoughts and habits to myself.
    Yes, but Tesco don't require me to have a Clubcard, it's my choice (hypothetically). This is a mandatory scheme, and it can only be so because the people implementing it are in a position of power.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Any I bet you the data infrastructure will be easily hackable and everyone's data will get nicked and sold to the highest bidder by Russian hackers.
    Or a laptop / memory stick left on a train..... It will happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Yes, but Tesco don't require me to have a Clubcard, it's my choice (hypothetically). This is a mandatory scheme, and it can only be so because the people implementing it are in a position of power.
    Does not stop the checkout people nagging me every single time if i have a damn card!

Most of these things start off voluntary and then are enforced later. Or cost is imposed on those that do not. It is about getting enough people on board and then saying "hey you are the minority and as such we will need to charge anyone not using this scheme because it costs us revenue and we lose money by not be able to directly target sales to you"

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Not sure how many of you live in the Hillingdon Borough but very soon we are being FORCED to have a so called 'privilege' card.
    As opposed to the constituancy of Redditch
    The complete and utter lies forced by the local council have meant we have NO CHOICE but to be issued with these cards. The cards are NOT 'privilege' cards at all - they are a cheap method of making us carry an ID card of sorts. The card will log and record:

* Your Name & Address.
    * Your Date Of Birth.
    * Your Email Address.
    * Every time and place you park your car.
    * Every time you use the Library.
    * Every time you use the Gym or Leisure Centre.
    * Every time you visit the Dump.
    Not everyone does all of these things at all. As well as it being unclear why any of these would require a person's date of birth. Even placing "children" in a borrower catagory which restricts what they can borrow dosn't actually required storing their date of birth. Even if they do not have parent/guardian consent to borrow anything. Wouldn't it also make more sense to link car parking to the car rather than any person?

Plus the council are thinking up yet more ideas for the card so they can keep an eye on you and your habits.

These details will be recorded for 6 years - why ?
    How long before things leak? ((Including "Chinese walls" between different departments failing.)
    Does the ICO have anything to say about this.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    When do they start tattooing barcodes to the backs of your necks?
    When everyone starts wearing hoods all time

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    When everyone starts wearing hoods all time
    Two years ago?

Thank Post
    This sound like the the for runner of the TIA (Total Information Access System) that was the mentioned in The Last Enemy that was on the bbc check out imdb.

It's worrying when id cards are applied to services as you card could be cancelled centrally and you will be denied access and there wont be much you can do about it.

i personally don't have a problem with id cards but why have them along with a driving licence, passport, national insurance card the list goes on.

Why not just combine the driving licence and passport with an ID card in one card?

One of the reasons behind the need for id card scheme is the government doesn't know how many people are in the country and who they are. it a fault of there own as they stopped counting people going out the country and counting them back in.
    Last edited by penfold_99; 10th June 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: does to doesn't

mpe

Thank Post
    [quote=penfold_99;342240
    Why not just combine the driving licence and passport with an ID card in one card?
    [/QUOTE]
    Because they have different functions and the more functions a document has the less secure it is.
    More sensible would be to stop abusing driving licences as anything other than proof that someone has passed a driving test. The idea of a machine operators permit being used to prove ID really is rather daft.
    One of the reasons behind the need for id card scheme is the government does know how many people are in the country and who they are. it a fault of there own as they stopped counting people going out the country and counting them back in.
    In about two years "they" will get this information anyway, as has been done every decade since the mid 19th century...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    This sound like the the for runner of the TIA (Total Information Access System) that was the mentioned in The Last Enemy that was on the bbc check out imdb.
    That was taken from the real TIA - Total Information Awareness - A system in place in the US, that used to have the best logo, I think they've changed it now, but its still my VNC logo. These systems and plans have been in the making for longer than this government has been in place.

Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    First you make it expensive, arkward, frustrating and invading. Then you ease the pressure with handy mergers with other state systems and everyone learns to love it.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 10th June 2009 at 10:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast