+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School worker's Facebook post prompts suspension in General; Apologies if this has been posted already but what a joke!! School worker's Facebook post prompts suspension ? The Register ...

Thank Post

School worker's Facebook post prompts suspension

Apologies if this has been posted already but what a joke!!

School worker's Facebook post prompts suspension ? The Register

No names mentioned, just an innocent comment, I hear far worse from teachers down the pub. How the hell can they suspend someone for that? And havent the school got better things to do than to spy on staff on facebook??

Thank Post
    Bit extreme!

Thank Post

Seriously?

Thank Post
    It is absolutely disgusting, what a teacher does in their spare time has nothing to do with anyone else. The person who made the accusations needs to focus on their own life rather than ruining everyone elses!
    What an absolute waste of taxpayers money, all for an absolutely innocent comment about her day, rediculous and appauling. To think the people who have suspended her probably claim hundreds in expenses and she's the one to be strung up!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    It is a bit extreme, but the trouble is that it's in writing and the school has evidence. A whinging session down the pub is not generally recorded and played back. However, everyone is very careful about what they say within earshot of non-school employeess, especially parents. If specific class names had not been mentioned, they would probably have got away with it.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 9th June 2009 at 09:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    It is absolutely disgusting, what a teacher does in their spare time has nothing to do with anyone else.
    Whilst I do ABSOLUTELY agree that this case is COMPLETLY unjustified, it isn't quite true that a teacher can do 'anything' in their spare time, is it? They cannot be seen to be behaving inappropriately with pupils etc in or out of school. As a parent, I fully support a teacher's right to have a private life,but I wouldn't be happy if, for example, a teacher was exchanging inappropriate adult-type comments with students on Facebook or any similar medium
    I would think that, in this case, as someone has complained, the complaints procedure has kicked in and the school has to follow certain procedures, no matter how ridiculous the original complaint.

Thank Post
    There was some discussion recently on the "Professionalism" of teachers, suggesting that they should behave in 'public' with the sort of decorum associated with doctors and other similar "professionals".

In this case, I would agree that the school have over-reacted, but there IS a need for teachers to behave well, and be SEEN to behave well, as example to their pupils. This is one reason that teachers TEND not to live too close to their school.

Thank Post
    words of advice from Mr Joe Strummer
    "You have the right to free Speech
    as long as youre not Dumb enough to actually try it.
    These are your rights"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I understood the person in question was not, in point of fact, a teacher.

Her facebook comment was a reply to a teacher, who had originally complained about a class.

The teacher who made the original comment has had no action taken against them.

The employment tribunal is going to love this one.

Thank Post
    The unions are going to have a field day with this. it seems all to common these days for people to either be suspended or have there employment terminated for a comment made on facebook. I know in my wifes school there was discussion on facebook about an issue and some how the head got wind of it and well it wasnt a pretty site from what I gather.

This is why I dont have any work colleges on my friends list.

Mind I temper what I say on facebook any way

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    The employment tribunal is going to love this one.
    This.

Unless there's something big that isn't being reported here, UNISON will eat the school alive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Whilst I do ABSOLUTELY agree that this case is COMPLETLY unjustified, it isn't quite true that a teacher can do 'anything' in their spare time, is it? They cannot be seen to be behaving inappropriately with pupils etc in or out of school. As a parent, I fully support a teacher's right to have a private life,but I wouldn't be happy if, for example, a teacher was exchanging inappropriate adult-type comments with students on Facebook or any similar medium
    I would think that, in this case, as someone has complained, the complaints procedure has kicked in and the school has to follow certain procedures, no matter how ridiculous the original complaint.
    I'm sorry Witch, although I agree with you in your example, this is completely different.
    Teacher's shouldn't add students to facebook, simple as....

This however is some meddling so and so jumping onto a facebook status that does not mention ANY names whatsoever. They are not doing anything apart from stating their opinion, freedom of speech. I think it is absolutely absurd, the screenshot has absolutely no names and looks very carefully worded. It doesn't incriminate anyone!

You are right, it is rediculous and the person responsible should be extremely ashamed of themselves.

We promote the use of VLE's / the internet / online resources, then damn the very people who actually use them! It is this lack of common sense by authorities that overspend tax payers money time and time again

Thank Post
    Here's a little thought.... perhaps think twice about adding everyone including your uncles cat to your facebook...

You can choose who sees your content and you can choose who to add. Everyone i know just adds anyone they might have knew 10 years ago because they want to "keep up with what they are up to" and then never even bother to message them.

Stupid comment to take action over though.

I have and do say a hundred times worse a hundred times a day.

Thank Post
    As an occasional user of Facebook with a very small number friends (yes I know how sad that sounds) it seems to me that this is a non-issue.

Am I right in thinking that the message shown in the screenshot coulc only be seen by other facebook users with access to the posters profile?

If that is correct then surely this comment was not really posted in a 'public' area?

Having said all that this case demonstrates why I am careful about what I say, email, post etc and especially careful when using my mobile in a public place.

As I said to someone recently about the wonderful world of Web 2.0...
    "Never before have so many people with so little of interest to say had more opportunity to say it...and never before have their mistakes been shared with so many..."

Thank Post
    MMMM,

2months of pay wasted because of this? <insert stream of cuss words that show anger but will not offend anyone>

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast