+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Offsite access to school's MIS for staff - reimbuse costs? in General; Just a quicky - we're heading towards allowing external access to our MIS for staff, so that they can access ...

Thank Post

Offsite access to school's MIS for staff - reimbuse costs?

Just a quicky - we're heading towards allowing external access to our MIS for staff, so that they can access from offsite, enter assessment data ffrom the comfort of their own home, etc. The qustion has been raised of whether staff should be reimbursed for their costs in accessing from home - broadband, electricity, etc.

I've never come across a school that does this, but i wonder if there are any out there. Could my fellow edugeeks advise?

Thank Post
    sorry but that is just silly!

in my job description i line reads 'keep upto date with current techology news and development'
    yet i would be laughed out of the door if i asked them to buy me a home computer and get paid for reading articles online!

we also do sims updates from home too and service pack installs but we dont get paid for this too, and i wouldnt ask to be.

Thank Post
    If the school requires that staff work from home, they must make it possible for staff to do so, and if that means equipment then so be it. That's fine for hardware, but the problem comes when you start discussing electricity and connectivity and so on, because these aren't used exclusively for school business. It's the same problem as tax offsets when working at home.

If you provide access at home for staff's convenience (their choice, in other words), but don't require them to undertake any work there, you're in the clear.

Thank Post
    Earlier this year the NUT magazine published an article on this and said that if the school expects teachers to work from home then the school should reimburse the teacher for any costs involved.

Thank Post
    This sounds like a great idea. This pen I'm using I actualy brought from home, what's the best way to bill my school for the ink?

Oh and remember to bill staff who bring in phone chargers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Earlier this year the NUT magazine published an article on this and said that if the school expects teachers to work from home then the school should reimburse the teacher for any costs involved.
    Is this the same NUT that wanted a 10% raise? Good to see they're getting more realistic.

I don't see that it'd be reasonable for teachers to be compensated for accessing school systems at home, unless they're being forced to access those systems. Simply making remote access possible and letting people know about it is still leaving people with the choice to access. I doubt you're keeping track of who logs in to the system and what they do in order to make sure everyone meets their 'quota', so compensation shouldn't be provided.

After all, you're providing it for their convenience. They can always come into school to do their work instead.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Expects? You sure they don't mean 'requires'? We expect our staff to enter the grades into SIMS.net for reports. They can do this during their frees, after school, before school, and because we have remote access, they can do it from home.

The requirement is for them to do the work, not to connect in remotely. No school would *require* a teacher to connect remotely - that is simply their choice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless you're making it mandatory they do it from home why would you?

You're giving them the OPTION of doing it from their home - if they don't wanna use their broadband, etc they can come into the school and do it

Thank Post
    This make me laugh.

I use my Car for Some local support journeys and don't both to claim for Fuel because I get parking supplied free. I then had a question raised about my free parking pass because I didn't appear to do ever use my car because I had not put in a fuel claim!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    This make me laugh.

I use my Car for Some local support journeys and don't both to claim for Fuel because I get parking supplied free. I then had a question raised about my free parking pass because I didn't appear to do ever use my car because I had not put in a fuel claim!!!!
    Heh, if they're so keen for you to claim I'd account for every mile (mind you, then you've got to be insured for business purposes, so it might backfire).

Thank Post
    I think PowderMonkey's hit the nail right on the head - if staff can access everything within school when needed, then remote access is something which staff choose to use for their own convenience, and they should therefore not expect the school to pay for it.

Edit - not just PowderMonkey. His was the only reply when I started typing this, but I see others have since said the same thing. I agree with you all :-)
    Last edited by enjay; 4th June 2009 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Agreed, as long as the access from home is being provided as a convenience, there is no requirement to reimburse expenses. This is a convenience measure allowing staff to work wherever is easiest (i.e. from home while cooking tea/keeping an eye on the kids/whatever rather than them having to stay late to get it done)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    This sounds like a great idea. This pen I'm using I actualy brought from home, what's the best way to bill my school for the ink?
    I'm sure the school would say that they would provide you with a cheap'n'nasty 8p pen if you asked them to, but you choose to use a nicer one, and you should therefore pay for it yourself. Perhaps you could ask for an 8p contribution towards it, though?!

Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Oh and remember to bill staff who bring in phone chargers.
    Not to mention asking us to pay for the kettles, fridges, etc which the school provides in the kitchen for us...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Not to mention asking us to pay for the kettles, fridges, etc which the school provides in the kitchen for us...
    Oooh...errrr... hadn't thought of that. That would be a taxable benefit unless we paid, wouldn't it?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    That would be a taxable benefit unless we paid, wouldn't it?!
    Yes, it probably is!

Does that also mean that the free coffee and biscuits each day, and lunches on Inset days are also tax assets?! We also get a free lunch on days we have duty, which are also taxable benefits I would have thought.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast