+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Offsite access to school's MIS for staff - reimbuse costs? in General; Originally Posted by NickJones Yes, it probably is! Does that also mean that the free coffee and biscuits each day, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Yes, it probably is!

Does that also mean that the free coffee and biscuits each day, and lunches on Inset days are also tax assets?! We also get a free lunch on days we have duty, which are also taxable benefits I would have thought.

Free lunch on duty days is not a taxable benefit as you are working during the lunch period. Sort of payment in kind, I suppose.

Free coffee and biccies may be (especially the biccies!) Lunch on inset days is a grey area, the school could argue that it's a working lunch... being provided as you work through the lunch period.

Free school lunches, unless you are on duty, are a taxable benefit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    The qustion has been raised of whether staff should be reimbursed for their costs in accessing from home - broadband, electricity, etc.
    Hand them a netbook with a built-in mobile broadband connection. Now they don't pay for hardware or network access and they can even recharge the netbook at school. You get complete control over the environment they use to connect to the school's network, too - no more messing around figuring out people's different home networking problems. It would solve so many problems, save time and save money on support if more software was distributed like this - simply installed ready-to-go on a cheap netbook.

Anyone know of any netbooks without USB ports so you can avoid the use of USB memory devices, making sure your data doesn't go wandering off somewhere?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Earlier this year the NUT magazine published an article on this and said that if the school expects teachers to work from home then the school should reimburse the teacher for any costs involved.
    I managed to read this as NUTS magazine and the whole debate seemed a lot funnier

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Hand them a netbook with a built-in mobile broadband connection. Now they don't pay for hardware or network access and they can even recharge the netbook at school. You get complete control over the environment they use to connect to the school's network, too - no more messing around figuring out people's different home networking problems. It would solve so many problems, save time and save money on support if more software was distributed like this - simply installed ready-to-go on a cheap netbook.
    That's fine if you've got the money, but for the rest of us........

Thank Post
    I'm sure the school would say that they would provide you with a cheap'n'nasty 8p pen if you asked them to, but you choose to use a nicer one, and you should therefore pay for it yourself. Perhaps you could ask for an 8p contribution towards it, though?!
    Department policy requires all stationary is harvested from trade shows, hapless teachers and junior technicians.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 4th June 2009 at 01:56 PM.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    If the school requires that staff work from home, they must make it possible for staff to do so, and if that means equipment then so be it. That's fine for hardware, but the problem comes when you start discussing electricity and connectivity and so on, because these aren't used exclusively for school business. It's the same problem as tax offsets when working at home.
    Would they try to claim for carpets, chairs, tables, light bulbs as well as utility bills if they did their marking at home?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    Would they try to claim for carpets, chairs, tables, light bulbs as well as utility bills if they did their marking at home?
    Only if you make the mistake of suggesting it to them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Heh, if they're so keen for you to claim I'd account for every mile (mind you, then you've got to be insured for business purposes, so it might backfire).
    If I use my car for an authorised journey in connection with work, then I'm covered on the schools insurance policy for the duration of that journey, so if I had an accident, my own insurance would be un-affected - I'm pretty sure most schools have a simelar policy, but some probably chose to keep quiet about it!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Looks like we're all of the same mind....

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On one had, using up power etc at home. On the other hand, not having to pay for travelcards or petrol to get into work. Balances it out nicely! Unless they walk to work, in which case you tell them they don't need a gym membership as it is free exercise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    Yes, on the understanding that they are being provided purely for the purposes of school work, and therefore no-one else must be in the room to benefit from the glow of the light bulb...

Thank Post
    Yes, on the understanding that they are being provided purely for the purposes of school work, and therefore no-one else must be in the room to benefit from the glow of the light bulb...
    Which demonstrates how petty it is!

I've done work from home - for the sole reason that rather than staying an extra half hour, I'd prefer to go home, have tea, put my feet up for a couple of hours - and then log on and do some paperwork, deal with email, set a machine rebuilding remotely etc. I'd not dream of claiming expenses for it - if I wanted to I could easily do it from school, but I make the decision not to as it's easier for me.

Plus it would be silly - if a teacher pays £X (fixed) per month for internet access, how can you define the cost of what they spend to access school remotely? You'd no doubt end up subsidising their personal use...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    Plus it would be silly - if a teacher pays £X (fixed) per month for internet access, how can you define the cost of what they spend to access school remotely? You'd no doubt end up subsidising their personal use...
    Isn't it the case that you can get 10% personal use for free, and it then becomes a taxable benefit?

Irrelevant in this instance, however, as if they have a PC and Internet connection at home anyway, then why should the school pay anything at all towards that? You could only seriously ask the school to pay if a) it is something which you wouldn't have otherwise, or b) it actually results in extra expenditure. The broadband bill would be the same with or without the business use, as would the cost of the PC; I would argue that users with PCs at home anyway could ask for nothing more than the electricity (and of course even then only if the school REQUIRES the work to be done from home).

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    Considering what some teachers get up to with their school issued laptops this already appears to happen quite often anyway.

Thank Post
    I have in the past worked from home, purely because I needed to try something out on my own system first. While at home I threw the laundry in and hung it out to dry later.

Plus I saved on the commute to work.

The point being: -

"You have remote access, use it if you wish. If you want to bill us for it, call the caretaker and he will unlock your classroom / office for you!"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast