Poll: Keep running or switch off

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Powering Down in General; What's the general feeling please folks; once maintainance is done during the school holidays is it the general practice to ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Powering Down

What's the general feeling please folks; once maintainance is done during the school holidays is it the general practice to leave the servers, switches, caches etc running or switch them off :?:

Thank Post

Re: Powering Down

Holidays? They those times when I'm supposed to get all the work done without actually turning anything off?

As I'm in all the holidays I announce planned downtime (in advance - in the relevant places) on all services to cover myself when I turn things off for maintenance.

Yes, I do physically need to turn things off to dust and vacuum the servers Its not as silly as it sounds either, dust free heatsinks are much more efficient!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

After an update, we reboot things to check they all come back up properly and all startup services are initialised. Other than that, it's all 24x7

Thank Post

Nope, 24/7 they are never shutdown unless something requires then to be rebooted.

Thank Post

In my old school I turned everything off even the switches and wireless aces points. On top of that everything was pretty much unplugged as well. All teachers know about this before hand and if any needed access I gave them simple instruction on how to turn on what was needed. Which resorted to flicking a few switch’s. The server stayed on 24/7.

In my current school all the computers will be turned off but switch and wireless access points will be left running and nothing unplugged. The server will be left on but set to stay off if there is a power cut.

I do this due to the cleaners who like to pull everything out. They do a real good job and as no one works in the holidays I don’t see a reason to leave anything on.

Hardware wise it doest really make a difference if things are on or off. If it runs 24/7 the rest of the year then another 6 week is not going make a difference.

Thank Post

All servers run 24/7 unless we need to reboot for any reason.

Thank Post

Seeing as we have plenty of staff in over the summer, I can imagine the horror if I dared to power down! 24/7 all the way...

Thank Post

Switch off the servers? E-Mail?!? how can the mail server recieve if there is no power? how would i look at my mail from home, staff remotely working in Sims (such as head), website with parients wanting to view for questions.....

Thank Post

All servers remain on 24/7. Even though it is the holidays its generally only the middle couple of weeks you dont see any staff. There in all the time here especially when its coming up to September there all in cleaning out their classrooms etc.

Thank Post

24/7 here on network and servers, though we'll have a bit of downtime as we move stuff into the new rack.

As has been said before, servers are like old people........

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Seeing as we have plenty of staff in over the summer, I can imagine the horror if I dared to power down! 24/7 all the way...
    Are you just afraid that your LM won't be able to find the ON switch

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the excellent replies. The poll so far it overwhelminigly in favour of keeping it all chugging away - my only worry is the heat, this morning I found that one of the two 24 port switches we had had banged out so don't fancy the chances of finding the whole ball game still playing if it's shut up for a few weeks in an unventilated room.

Some of you are lucky people - talk of dedicated mail servers etc make my dinky little old Dell Poweredge sound a very lonely bit of kit. I'm going to boost it's memory over the holidays though adding a whole GB to the current 256MB thats groaning under mighty strain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

24/7 for me

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Same.

There were some people complaining at us when Ultan and I came in at the weekend to do some rewiring in the server room. I'd dread to think what they'd be like if we tried to shut them down over the holidays.

Thank Post

I'm pretty lucky... The staff all go home and darken the school, not at all, over the summer.. Just that last week we get a few stragglers come in to print off a load of stuff..

Given that we have problems with heat in the current server room the servers will be off over most of the summer and going back on again in the last 2 weeks.. Doesn't help that the area is plagued with power cuts (2 power stations in plain site too - oh the irony!) so the air conn units will power off and stay off while the servers with UPS will power back up and churn out heat again so we're playing safe..

Benefits of being a primary though I guess..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information