+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, This Thursday What Are You Doing in General; I do not do this often so please forgive me. Can I remind people that this Thursday local elections are ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This Thursday What Are You Doing

I do not do this often so please forgive me.

Can I remind people that this Thursday local elections are coming up so please go out and vote. The dissatisfaction that country is feeling means people could not vote that means far right parties (edit - and far left ) that relay on low turnout to gain seats have chance of making head way.

Russ

Thank Post
    Already posted mine

Thank Post
    As have I.

However, the really important elections this week are the for our European MPs. You may not realize it, but significant power now rests in Brussels/Strasbourg. Our press rarely covers it, so it is seen by most as "just something over there". The extremes are making 'progress' in some scary places; Austria anyone?

Thank Post
    Absolutely, go and vote and don't let the BNP in!

Thank Post
    Err.. I thought it was the European Elections?

Going to vote when I get back from work on Thursday...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,825 Posts
    No local elections here - only Euro

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    I do not do this often so please forgive me.

Can I remind people that this Thursday local elections are coming up so please go out and vote. The dissatisfaction that country is feeling means people could not vote that means far right parties that relay on low turnout to gain seats have chance of making head way.

Hope Not Hate.
    HOPE not hate

Russ
    Well if we are going to use Edugeek as a political soapbox I may as well chip in

Why did you not mention the far left? Afterall communism is seen as the scurge of the earth in what we call the Western World. The fact that you specifically mentioned the far right leads me to believe that you have fallen into the political trap of believing that anything outside of centre is a bad thing and I must admit the perception of most people would tally with that due to one man, 'Hitler' (The Italian guy was a twit btw). Can I remind you that this one man pulled Germany out of the depths of ruin and starvation to make Germany a powerful nation, a legacy that the German people still enjoy today. OK so he completely lost the plot and was responsible for millions of deaths and deserved what he got but the fact remains that his early policies worked and were supported by the people.

What I'm trying to say is; by all means encourage people to vote, but lets not highlight any particular preferences.

*Hides in bunker*

Thank Post
    Considering where I live, the BNP have a lot of support.

Slightly OT - When's the General Election due? thought it was this year? - The sooner the better, so Gordon and his Cronies get the boot.. (Not that the others are much better TBH... )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vote Monster Raving Loony Party!

Although, if you have a look through their policies over the years you'll find that a lot of them have become reality in our normal governments

Although, seriously, I'd suggest voting for anyone other than the big 2 - specifically because they might bring something new to the game for once! (Although, I don't support the BNP or UKIP as they're both counter to my views entirely).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    I shall be voting, but also 'taking my daughter to work' as the large finance company employer of my husband won't take part.

It is somewhat ironic that the request was refused by the father of a girl the year below my daughter; they go to the same school. I bet she gets taken to work by her Dad next year!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Some areas have local council elections as well as MEPs this time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    due to one man, 'Hitler' (The Italian guy was a twit btw). Can I remind you that this one man pulled Germany out of the depths of ruin
    Godwin's Law - You loose!

He pulled Germany out of self inflicted ruin, by persecuting minorities etc, and straight back into ruin 10 years later.

Let's keep on topic; go and vote, for someone; but if you are going to vote for ANY extreme party, please think carefully about what you are wishing upon yourself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Vote EduGeek! :-)

Thank Post
    Don't vote for any of em until they open up elections to allow for anyone to run. Until then we will continue to be ruled by the aristocracy. People who have no idea what it is like to live in a rough housing estate and therefore continue to allow the courts to award victims with ridiculous sums and criminals with massive payouts.

Why are teenagers and the youth of today getting arrested 50 times muggings or for car theft before they end up with a paltry 3 months inside? Rapists or drunk driver killers get off with 18 months? Watch teenage tearaways on Road Wars smash up the streets in stolen cars only to be let out later that night with a caution and you will understand that things are not right.

Lets get real people in power who know why the country is going down the pan and perhaps we can change it. That means opening up the election process so that some toff with connections can't get his snotty daughter a job as an MP and all the "perks" that go with it.

If you heard that MP bleating about how people were "jealous" of his very very large mansion the other day you will no doubt ask yourself how this guy fooled his constituency into electing him when he is so far removed from the working class people of this country. The truth is that normal people had no say in his choice as an MP for his party.

Disgraceful really. This is meant to be a democracy.

Thank Post
    Just European elections around here.

As for voting, as soon as there are repercussions for not following through with pre-election promises I will vote, but at the moment they can promise the world just to get your vote and then not deliver on those promises (ever) and there are no come backs. I don't like being lied to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast