+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 92
General Chat Thread, This Thursday What Are You Doing in General; Originally Posted by witch If we had countrywide PR then your vote WOULD count. Bothering to go and spoil your ...
  1. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,168
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 319 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If we had countrywide PR then your vote WOULD count.

    Bothering to go and spoil your ballot paper makes no sense at all to me - the only person who will see it is some lowly vote-counter who will just log it with all the others that have more than one tick, or are illegible etc. What's the point?
    I think that voting should be compulsory, as it is in MANY countries, BUT there must be a 'no confidence' box that you could tick.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
    So your suggestion instead would be that I simply sit at home and don't vote at all? That seems even worse to me. It may be inneffective to spoil a ballot paper, but at least it shows something other than apathy, even if only to yourself.

    There are no parties I agree with, not only enough to vote for, but even enough to believe that they would be a better option. I do a little to try and get my voice heard, and when I can I will be doing more. I actually read about various party policies as well, and look through manifestos. My political views don't come from a newspaper (I don't read them) or from television (I don't have one), they're as well-informed as I'm capable of making them with the resources within my reach.

    This time I will actually be voting independent, but only because I believe that my local independent candidate is actually a good choice. Not to make a protest against another party.

    I disagree that voting should be compulsory. People should not be forced to take an interest and, frankly, forcing them to vote wouldn't cause them to take an interest. Those of us who care enough to vote are much better off if those who don't care enough, don't vote.

    Edit: Incidentally in the UK spoiled ballot papers are in fact still counted.
    Last edited by jamesb; 2nd June 2009 at 01:36 PM.

  2. #47
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I disagree that voting should be compulsory. People should not be forced to take an interest and, frankly, forcing them to vote wouldn't cause them to take an interest. Those of us who care enough to vote are much better off if those who don't care enough, don't vote.
    Agreed - forcing people who don't care to vote will only skew the votes of those who do care. I do think that voting should be made more accessible to the lazy, busy, house-bound and apathetic with SMS/email/online/telephone voting, however I would rather it remains something which the interested choose to do and the disinterested don't get in the way of.

    Does anyone worry about the fact that ballot numbers have unique numbers on them identifying whose paper it is, by the way?

  3. #48

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Hehe, those sort of diagrams always put me as far in the liberal direction as possible. And this one, as pro EU as possible

    And it got my views quite right, I most likely will be voting Lib Dem or Green.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,168
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 319 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Hehe, those sort of diagrams always put me as far in the liberal direction as possible. And this one, as pro EU as possible

    And it got my views quite right, I most likely will be voting Lib Dem or Green.
    Pah, Liberals.



    I may have to vote Conservative in the EU election now now just to balance the scales.

  5. #50

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Pah, Liberals.



    I may have to vote Conservative in the EU election now now just to balance the scales.
    If you want to balance it, then you'd have to vote for UKIP

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,168
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 319 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If you want to balance it, then you'd have to vote for UKIP
    I don't think I could bring myself to.

  7. #52

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,134
    Thank Post
    1,373
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    I understand why you are saying that forcing the apathetic to vote is no use - however, please note that they should be able to tick a box that says they have no confidence in any political party -at the very least this would mean that the political parties would have to acknowledge officially just how many people they are not reaching.

    And PR would help prevent a party that less than half the country voted for getting in power.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,168
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 319 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I understand why you are saying that forcing the apathetic to vote is no use - however, please note that they should be able to tick a box that says they have no confidence in any political party -at the very least this would mean that the political parties would have to acknowledge officially just how many people they are not reaching.
    Which is essentially what I do. That's why spoiled ballots are counted here.

    But I suspect such a box would make no difference to the majority of non-voters. Its not lack of confidence in the system, or lack of confidence in a political party, its just plain not caring who gets in because they're ignorant of the options.

    There are voters like this as well - they always vote for the same party, not because they agree with them, but because otherwise they might have to pause and think.

    And PR would help prevent a party that less than half the country voted for getting in power.
    I do like the idea of proportional representation.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the north
    Posts
    351
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    I've applied for a postal vote (as I am currently staying 300 miles away from where I am registered)... got one for the local mayoral election, but nothing for the EU one.

    Woman at the council says "Oh well I'm afraid it's not our problem, you see it's our printers, I can ask for another one to be sent out...".

    So yes, your vote counts - if your local authority can be bothered to give you a ballot paper!

  10. #55
    SorenLorensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    ...

    ......

  11. #56
    k-strider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    357
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    i know which way I'm voting

    actually spend all of thursday not at work but knocking on doors and say please come out and vote!

  12. #57

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,922
    Thank Post
    709
    Thanked 551 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by k-strider View Post
    i know which way I'm voting

    actually spend all of thursday not at work but knocking on doors and say please come out and vote!
    Well got a green tree must be the green party

    To be honest as long as people vote the danger is when people don't vote. I have a policy of locals I choose who is best for the area and Europe and nationals I votes for party whose views I support.

    Russ

    Russ

  13. #58
    browolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,525
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 89 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    46
    Rep Power
    40
    I don't care

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    I'll be voting...Greens for me

  15. #60
    OverWorked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    N. Yorks
    Posts
    1,014
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Interesting quiz, pretty much told me what I knew - life long Labour supporter should be voting Lib Dem. Certainly I'll be voting LD until such time as Labour as votable again (probably a term or two away).
    That sums me up. We should meet for a drink sometime!

    LD: 77%
    Lab: 73%
    Con: 65%
    Green: 60%
    UKIP: 46%
    BNP: 40%

    For anyone who (like me until 20 mins ago) is wondering what the elections are for, see the direct.go.uk website. It's for European (MEPs), County Council, and Mayors in some places.
    Last edited by OverWorked; 3rd June 2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added more

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A bit of humour for Thursday....
    By tech_guy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th November 2008, 10:06 AM
  2. Interview Thursday!
    By DevilsAdvocate in forum General Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 24th March 2008, 07:24 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 28th June 2006, 09:59 AM
  4. Bett Show Tomorrow........Thursday 12th
    By tosca925 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th January 2006, 11:33 PM
  5. Patch Thursday
    By Dos_Box in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th October 2005, 06:25 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •