+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, This Thursday What Are You Doing in General; Originally Posted by dalsoth Don't vote for any of em until they open up elections to allow for anyone to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Don't vote for any of em until they open up elections to allow for anyone to run.
    Currently the restrictions really aren't that harsh to register as an independent candidate.

Politically Independent Candidate X faqs

Thank Post
    Vote me as president of the world and all I.T techs get a free pizza lunch (or anything else you fancy!)
    Yes, I know how it is!

Thank Post
    I can't see independent candidates making wholesale changes to the country which means they are a waste of a vote. You really need political parties working together to push real changes through. Hundreds and hundreds of independents will only drown out what needs to be done. I think we just need the big parties that run the country to stop trying to secure a legacy of family members in parliament and allow the real people that care to enter politics.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    Why is it that we vote for a party?

I thought the vote was for your constituent representative?

One person one vote or am I living in the dark ages?

Whichever one I vote for will have to consider me and my family and not just give false promises.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't see independent candidates making wholesale changes to the country which means they are a waste of a vote. You really need political parties working together to push real changes through. Hundreds and hundreds of independents will only drown out what needs to be done. I think we just need the big parties that run the country to stop trying to secure a legacy of family members in parliament and allow the real people that care to enter politics.
    Ah, I see, so you want people with the views and drive of independents, but the loyalty and the support of a party?

Would be very nice to have. Not going to happen any time soon though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    Well if we are going to use Edugeek as a political soapbox I may as well chip in

Why did you not mention the far left? Afterall communism is seen as the scurge of the earth in what we call the Western World. The fact that you specifically mentioned the far right leads me to believe that you have fallen into the political trap of believing that anything outside of centre is a bad thing and I must admit the perception of most people would tally with that due to one man, 'Hitler' (The Italian guy was a twit btw). Can I remind you that this one man pulled Germany out of the depths of ruin and starvation to make Germany a powerful nation, a legacy that the German people still enjoy today. OK so he completely lost the plot and was responsible for millions of deaths and deserved what he got but the fact remains that his early policies worked and were supported by the people.

What I'm trying to say is; by all means encourage people to vote, but lets not highlight any particular preferences.

*Hides in bunker*
    Point taken so yes far left as well so I have edited the post.

My main point was not what party to vote for but mainly you go out and vote.

Also did I say anything about Hitler my own problem with far right parties is with current view of large large % members of their party.

Also a good book to read is Homeland By Nick Ryan very good book interviewing people from both worlds.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeland-Into-World-Nick-Ryan/dp/1840184655]Homeland: Into a World of Hate: Nick Ryan: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

Anyway my main point was go and vote.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SNP SNP SNP

Might just tempt me to go home if we get our independence :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    SNP SNP SNP

*stays silent* Must... not... comment.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    SNP SNP SNP

Would that mean that we could stop subsidising?

Thank Post
    You can convince yourself that an independent can make changes but I believe the reality is quite different. I would like to vote for someone who is part of a party that represents views that reflect my own. I would choose this over an independent who has similar views because the party can make changes whereas the independent can not.

I am not talking about local issues as such but rather in the broader sense of change. If what you are saying is right then why do parties exist at all? I would rather stick to something that could happen such as opening up the election process rather than pie in the sky wishing my local indie MP will change the way the whole judicial system works. That just won't happen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Just European elections around here.

As for voting, as soon as there are repercussions for not following through with pre-election promises I will vote, but at the moment they can promise the world just to get your vote and then not deliver on those promises (ever) and there are no come backs. I don't like being lied to.

So how does not voting at all help? It just allows the ones you don't like to get in with fewer votes.
    I believe that there are parties who will deliver on their pre-election promises - or at least they should be given a chance.

As for things being controlled by 'the aristocracy' - I don't think so. Rich b****** maybe, but this doesn't make them aristocracy.

BTW, my MP is a local, who is nowhere near rich, lives an ordinary life in an ordinary town - doesn't claim for a second home and has no dodgy expenses either.

Given that there are over 600 MPS, I think we should remember that quite a few have NOT overclaimed on their expenses. Not that I approve of the ones that have.

Thank Post
    We don't need a vote we need a revolution!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can convince yourself that an independent can make changes but I believe the reality is quite different. I would like to vote for someone who is part of a party that represents views that reflect my own. I would choose this over an independent who has similar views because the party can make changes whereas the independent can not.

I am not talking about local issues as such but rather in the broader sense of change. If what you are saying is right then why do parties exist at all? I would rather stick to something that could happen such as opening up the election process rather than pie in the sky wishing my local indie MP will change the way the whole judicial system works. That just won't happen.
    It is views like that which allow for the current system to carry on as it is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I tend to go in and just write 'no confidence' on a ballot paper. Sure, its a wasted vote in a way but there's usually no one I'd choose to vote for and I refuse to just sit at home and moan about the system. At least this way I've gone to some effort.

This time though I'll be voting for a local independent candidate.

However, once my finances are sorted out I'll be running myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It is views like that which allow for the current system to carry on as it is.
    You say tomato i say avocado.

Disagree.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast