Poll: How does you school pay suppliers? (Most common method)

+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How does your school pay suppliers? in General; Choose the most common option if the answer is "it depends". With regard to paying suppliers, I suspect we're in ...

Thank Post

How does your school pay suppliers?

Choose the most common option if the answer is "it depends". With regard to paying suppliers, I suspect we're in the dark ages and I wondered whether this was a schools-specific things or just us being archaic.

"Online" counts as credit/debit card. "Invoice" isn't on there as presumably the money is eventually transferred somehow after the 10-30 days.

Thank Post
    Slooooowly since we became a Chequebook School. We never used to get suppliers chasing for money now it happens all the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Majority of payments done by Bank Transfer following an invoice and this is the school's preference, but Credit Card is available (through the Bursar) for online purchases. Basically, I set up the order and she pays for it (having got SMT permission to order in the first place)!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 1st June 2009 at 02:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Mostly cheques, my boss is a staff governor so often ends up with a large pile of them to sign.

We used to let staff buy stuff and claim the money back, but fortunatly that's been stomped on.

There used to be a local barter currency a few years back, but I don't think the school ever used it (I think it was only used to buy organic veg and birkenstocks).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    depends on the supplier. Sometimes debit/credit card, sometimes via invoice, sometimes via cheque, sometimes via a part exchange (IE new for old equipment)

Thank Post
    Other: barter, cash, ducks, post details below
    Invoice / cheque, cash, or I pay via PayPal and the school gives me a cheque.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 923 Posts
    Cheque as we cannot do BACS payments, some are on company purchase card but not much really.

Thank Post
    We place the orders receive the invoice then pass them onto our LA finance department for payment. I think they pay via cheque or BACS.

Thank Post
    Just moved over to SAP here so most things are paid for via Bacs payments. We also have school credit cards that can be used for online purchases.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Slooooowly since we became a Chequebook School. We never used to get suppliers chasing for money now it happens all the time.
    I work in a "Cheque Book School" too and yes it's slow..... ......AND then they send it off in 2nd class post - give me strength! :-|

Time to drag this part of the school somewhere near the end of the 20th century me thinks!?

Ben

Thank Post
    The whole process is pretty slow, we fill in a requisition form which goes off to finance, assuming they don't lose it it gets typed in and sent off, when the goods come in we have to give them the invoice and they give us a piece of paper to sign to say it's received, then they write the cheque and post it!

We can buy small things on petty cash in certain circumstances - have to be below £35 and has to be a reason why it can't go through the normal system (eg - need batteries today not next week, or finance staff on holiday for 6 weeks).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're a chequebook school, but our finance officer is on the ball, so the majority of payments get sent within a few days of the items having been received (usually a batch of cheques is done each weeks).

We also sometimes use a debit card for those online purchases that don't accept cheque, and we use direct debits for recurring payments.

We would like to use BACS I believe but have been told we can't, as we don't get a paper trail for auditors at the LEA. (This is my recollection of it anyway, but I may be wrong).

Thank Post
    We generally pay by any means availible but prefer bank transfers once an invoice has been recieved. I can borrow a credit card from the bursar for small/one off orders but I generally refuse to deal with suppliers unless they're willing to give us a credit account - the credit card rarely has enough left on it for anything bigger than a few hundred.

I sometimes buy things on my card and get a cheque from the bursar on the same day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread