Poll: Do you think the government will have success combating illegal downloads in the UK?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 7m in UK 'use illegal downloads' in General; Originally Posted by torledo sorry, you weren't in on the joke. here you go... http://www.edugeek.net/forums/jokes-...s-prisons.html You posted your message while ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    sorry, you weren't in on the joke. here you go...

Netherlands runs out of criminals, closes Prisons
    You posted your message while I was typing mine...
    But if you want to come to NL, to legally download some music or movies, I do know some cheap places for you to stay

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    If anything illegal downloads are encouraged by Apple et al. IF you were to fill an ipod classic 120GB it would hold 30,000 songs. Now do people spend 30,000 on itunes? Do they buy 3,000 CD's and rip the songs? No!
    I think this was the original reason behind itunes music store. So apple could deflect these accusations from the music industry and give customers a 'legal' option even if they chose not to use it. of course making a little money while their at it didn't hurt either.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There are people who illegally download and buy NO music. There are people who illegally download and buy SOME music. There are people who buy music and DO NOT illegally download at all (like yourself).

But there is NOBODY who illegally downloads and then buys a legal a copy of everything they download!
    While I agree and full firmly into category two, I'd argue that most people who illegally download end up purchasing more legal music than they other whys would have done had they not illegally downloaded in the first place.

That said, that's an argument for 2/3 years ago. Today with Last.fm and Spotify there really is no good reason to turn to illegal downloading. And again if I find something on Last.fm that I like, I usually end up downloading from iTunes as well.

Recent examples include Semisonic, Wallflowers and 3 Doors Down who I would never have purchased from if I hadn't found/heard them on the net first.

Thank Post
    But there is NOBODY who illegally downloads and then buys a legal a copy of everything they download!
    Amongst 7m people, you can't possibly assert that. Unless you'd like to cite some research that does.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Amongst 7m people, you can't possibly assert that. Unless you'd like to cite some research that does.
    I can assert that and I did!

If you consider the average amount of illegal material downloaded, the cost to buy that material in the shops and the average income of the consumer it stands to reason that anybody who downloads GBs of data can not afford to buy that data legally.

How many ipod classic owners spend 30,000 on music? Maybe over a lifetime but who waits a lifetime to fill an ipod? In fact how many ipod classic owners earn over 30,000 a year? Not the majority I'll bet. But somehow many people are walking around with full ipods soon after they buy them.

The chance that anybody does this is so statistically small as to be insignificant in the market.

Thank Post
    There are people who illegally download and buy NO music. There are people who illegally download and buy SOME music. There are people who buy music and DO NOT illegally download at all (like yourself).

Generalisations are bad.

I don't download music, I've always purchased it, but then, since I'm the proud owner of about 12 CD's over the last however long...

I've downloaded plenty of games over the years, if I didn't like it, I saved myself 30 (not many places accept PC games as trade-ins, nowhere near me certainly), if I did like them, I've bought them - GTR:Evo was the last game I downloaded and then bought (in fairness, I'd have bought it without downloading, but I couldn't get hold of a copy for nearly 6 weeks...?)

Demo's can be completely unrepresentative of the full game. I loved the Killzone 1 demo, hated the game.

I downloaded a copy of all my old PC games, largely in part due to them being unreadable - I was a careless child.

I tend to watch movies I'm somewhat skeptical about online, in most cases though, I never watch the whole movie because I get bored after a short while and have saved myself the 6 ticket to be bored to death, If I lived nearer a cinema, my nearest is 14 miles away, then chances are I would probably risk the 6. but since that's effectively fuel money, it's not worth it.

So, there are still people who try.

isoHunt - the BitTorrent and P2P search engine

Thank Post
    I have no real issues with downloading. If i were to buy every film i have downloaded it would cost me a small fortune, yet out of those films only a handful have been any good. Some people might say thats the wrong attitude but tbh i dont care, im sick of being asked for 20 to watch a crap film once.

Im into dance/electronic music where the business model has moved with the times. Producers know that they wont ever make their fortune from making music, it is simply a means to get their name heard. The money comes from performing the music, but this can only come after people have heard of you.

Commercial music resists the above model because by its very nature you cannot make crap music and expect to make money, something which the music industry has been doing for 15years now. Im sorry but the free ride is over. If you are a good band, with a good following, who can perform live you have nothing to worry about. If you are a manfactured peice of crap who cant actually sing...

Illigal downloading could actually have a positive effect
    Last edited by j17sparky; 29th May 2009 at 12:40 PM.

8. Thanks to j17sparky from:

torledo (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    I'm sure the manufacturers of large storage devices only make them for word documents & pictures........? Hmmmmm - then of course we have the 'media streaming devices.......'
    All this piracy !! It's killing the industry !!!! Errrrr no, if anything its feeding it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Commercial music resists the above model because by its very nature you cannot make crap music and expect to make money, something which the music industry has been doing for 15years now. Im sorry but the free ride is over. If you are a good band, with a good following, who can perform live you have nothing to worry about. If you are a manfactured peice of crap who cant actually sing...

Illigal downloading could actually have a positive effect
    Yup! Myself and my ex both went to the Download festival a few years ago simply because Tool were there. ie. we spent nearly 200 each on tickets to see one band. There's no doubt that if a band is good, then the fans will pay to see them.

Thank Post
    I download most of my music, but thes chances are if ive downloaded them and i find out they've got a gig on near me ill go see them and buy some of their merch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think this is what the big 5 are ultimately afraid of and why iTunes were forced into using DRM's for so long. The internet and music downloading is severing the ties between artist and record label. The real money is coming from performing as far as the artist is concerned. Those who can actually play live will do well and I think a lot of established bands are doing well embracing the new formats/advertising models.

Paraphrasing Neil Finn (Crowded House) during their last round of concerts - "We don't mind if you record these (unreleased) new songs on your camera phones and post it on youtube! In fact we're proud of our work and are glad to give something back to the fans. The final polished album versions will be released soon enough (and no doubt you'll be buying the album anyway)". - They know they need to attract new fans to buy the albums and attend the concerts to make money!

Thank Post
    Remember the fuss over CD-Wow and grey imports? Ever been flummoxed by region encoding on DVD's? Ever been frustrated when you can't watch your new DVD on your ipod and iTunes wants $$ for a DRM protected copy of the film you already own? Seen the protection on blu-ray?

These are the reasons that a lot of people download illegally. For others it is habitual - it starts at school (remember swapping cassette tapes with your friends?) and carries on.

The message is slowly getting through - the new Zune store subscription services look pretty good, and some new US napster packages are moving in the right way. Although what's the betting that a $10 US subscription will become a 10 one in the UK, we'll be fobbed off with a cost-of-business excuse and the downloading will continue.

The content industry needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The cat is out of the bag and they need to embrace new technologies and business models, not try beating the us with a stick to try and get the cat back in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    TV shows - this is an odd one as you could see the download of a show which hasn't been broadcast in the UK as a victimless crime, but it isn't. Think about it, a company in the UK usually buys the rights to play a show, they then get advertising to fit into the breaks and make money from that. If you don't watch it on TV, and don't sit through the adverts, advertisers are going to buy less airtime, and less decent shows will come to the UK, which will affect the amount of shows actually produced in the USA.
    NBC cancels 'Earl' and 'Medium'; CBS axes 'Unit'--The Live Feed

case in point?

Although, on the flip I dont really see how downloading it to watch is any different from recording it on sky+/freeview PVR and whizzing through the ads like most folk do anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I'd love to know how they came up with a number of 7 million users. It's incalculable and I have no doubt in my mind the Pirate Bay is behind most of it and guess what, the website is still live! The recent court case of fining and jailing the founders has had no effect whatsoever.

DRM in my eyes has encouraged piracy and evidence of this are that many providers now offering material DRM free. Piracy is nothing new and inevitably a small percentage of people will always want something for free. The industry themselves are to blame. Greedy profit margins expecting people to pay 20 for a Blu-ray film? It's absolutely hilarious the industry believe this is an acceptable price.

If multimedia in general was at a more reasonable price they'd be little incentive to pirate and users would go down legal routes. There's no reason why an MP3 should be priced the same as a CD. The manufacturing costs are far lower, there's no shipping half way across the world anymore, there's just a server hosting files. The industry need to accept this and until they do, piracy will continue to rise.

As for the UK Government (as per usual) they're out of touch. This problem has been on-going for years to the point it's getting out of hand. Revenue is being lost, yet ironically, more money will be wasted taking people to court, fining them then giving them community service to clean up their acts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd love to know how they came up with a number of 7 million users. It's incalculable and I have no doubt in my mind the Pirate Bay is behind most of it and guess what, the website is still live! The recent court case of fining and jailing the founders has had no effect whatsoever.
    Oh, I wouldn't say that! It has caused a massive increase in membership to the Pirate Party in Sweden, and revealed how corrupt the judges are in Sweden... :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast